Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 10:12 PM
Default How to learn the German Language?
Hallo, ich sprechen nicht Deutsch!

Hello,I don't speak Deutsch,but I really want to learn how to!
I don't really know where to start.
I hope that in a couple of months ,with your help,I will be able to write small sentences without syntax errors,and learn some basic things,because German is a language I really want to learn!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 12:18 AM
Ich spreche kein Deutsch (Ich is capitalized like I is, spreche is the "Ich" form of sprechen, nicht means not so use kein instead which means no)

I think that learning a language is individual because there are so many different types of learners. Assuming that taking a class isn't an option then for me the best option would be to go to your local bookstore, buy a German learning book (I looked briefly at a German for Dummies book once and it looked pretty good) and a dictionary (there are online dictionaries too so that's not strictly necessary but I think it's helpful to have a physical copy). There are a ton of websites devoted to learning German (google learn German and find a website that suits you) but for me I prefer to sit with a book and study so that's why I suggested a book, it's a personal preference.

Don't buy into language learning software, we were required to do Rosetta Stone for school and I hated it. If I didn't already have a background in German I would have been thoroughly confused with almost zero knowledge of grammar.

This guy on youtube does covers of English pop-songs auf deutsch, it's helped me learn some new vocab and I find them very interesting. http://www.youtube.com/user/AlexiBexi

Viel Glück! (Good luck!)

Hi I'm Paul!