Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 8:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
Is it like you want to replace music in the Sims 3 with a custom track? Isn't it better just to put some MP3s into the CustomMusic folder and play this station?

i can't stand having so many genres playing on a single radio station
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 1st May 2017 at 8:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FeathervsFlower
i can't stand having so many genres playing on a single radio station

I gotta agree, not just for keeping genres together but also for community lots. If you have a lot that plays a specific station, and you want it to play your custom music, it would be nice to just shove your tunes in the respective station and be on your way. And sometimes, you just want to listen to one particular type of music anyway, and having them, all in the right station just makes it easier to listen to that band, or that album or whatever.

Having more options to do anything can be a good thing, despite if half the users have no reason for it, the other half do.

"Look, I haven't paid my taxes in six years, I'm not getting busted by some sandwich" Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Test Subject
#103 Old 10th Jul 2017 at 11:06 PM
Does anyone know how to decode .audtun files?
Test Subject
#104 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:44 PM
@Wojtek Do they not? Based on the name of the files, some of them should have voice audio in them.
Test Subject
#105 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:10 PM
I did read through the whole thread a few times before.
But there are some AUDTUN files that follow the same naming pattern as SNS and SNR files that contain voice audio. For instance, one of the SNS files I've converted to .wav is named this: S3_01A527DB_001407EC_00C5929C3C4C71E1_vo_bed_talk_listenaA_fa22%%+_AUD. The two letters and numbers before the percent indicate that it is a voice file, and which voice it is. b=baby, p=toddler, c=child, m=male voices teen--elder, f=female voices teen--elder. a--c is voices a, b, or c.
Knowing this allowed me to know which SNR and SNS files I needed to convert to .wav files. But there are AUDTUN files that follow the same naming pattern, so it really seems like there should be voice audio in there. For instance, one of the files is named: S3_8070223D_001407EC_82D1F5AB32CAE95A_vo_btrap_toilet_trc_cb%%+AUDT. So it should have a Child Voice B file in there.
Test Subject
#106 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 7:44 PM
Oh, okay. Thank you very much for the information.
Sorry for being so stubborn!
Test Subject
#107 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Infernus Animositas
Here are the two loop tracks FFMPEG can't decode completely. Anyone got any ideas?

http://www.mediafire.com/?i2cz1ey1fuzay1b

I know it is an old topic, here's what I found, once you export the file, use a Hex Editor to modify the first 2 digits to be "00" and save it.
And this worked for me.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#108 Old 11th Jan 2020 at 9:47 PM
Ooooh my god I hate HEX editing so much. Why, why, why. Thanks for the very complete tutorial by the way.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Space Pony
#111 Old 25th Jan 2020 at 4:10 AM
After doing some testing, it appears the issue with switching to the next track is solved by simply encoding the entire MP3 as a single SNR file using "--single-block". The AUDTUNs and XMLs still need to be created, but only the SNR file needs to be encoded and no further hex editing should be necessary.

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Test Subject
#112 Old 2nd May 2020 at 3:11 PM
Default Problems with using ealayer3 -E NAMEOFYOURMP3FILE.mp3 -o NAMEOFYOURMP3FILE.sn
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
@tizerist:

As originally posted by Wojtek here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...d=1#post5020035

Whenever I use ealayer3 -E NAMEOFYOURMP3FILE.mp3 -o NAMEOFYOURMP3FILE.sn "the EALayer3 Parser could not be initialized (The bitstream format is not readable)" shows up and nothing happens. I followed all the instructions but I've hit a dead end. Is the EA Layer 3 broken or is Audacity saving unreadable MP3 files? I need help to fix this problem.
Test Subject
#113 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 5:42 PM Last edited by transu : 22nd Aug 2020 at 1:01 AM.
EALayer3 0.7.0 was unable to process some loop files (University load/enroll loop, into the future loop...), so I updated it. Here is the new file with the source code I changed
edit: https://bitbucket.org/Translu/ealayer3b/downloads/
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ealayer3update.zip (170.1 KB, 43 downloads)
Space Pony
#114 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by transu
EALayer3 0.7.0 was unable to process some loop files (University load/enroll loop, into the future loop...), so I updated it. Here is the new file with the source code I changed

Your FIRST post on this site is a solution to a gripe I've had with EALayer3 for years. No fanfare or anything, either, just "Here's a thing, have fun."

@transu If we can now use this to decode looping SNRs, might it be possible to modify EALayer3 0.6.3 to encode loops?

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Test Subject
#115 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gamefreak130
@transu If we can now use this to decode looping SNRs, might it be possible to modify EALayer3 0.6.3 to encode loops?

https://bitbucket.org/Translu/ealayer3b/downloads/
I finally had time to fix encoding and do this 2 new options:
--two-files
create a headerless file (the .SNS) and a header-only file (the .SNR)

--loop
use with --single-block or --two-files, mark the file as a loop

Seems like any file can be marked as loop (even radio songs). A loop has a optional "starting part" which gets played only the first time, at the beginning, currently the encoder leaves it empty.
Top Secret Researcher
#116 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 12:30 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 31st Oct 2020 at 10:28 PM.
First, my gratitude to you all for the considerable progress that's taken place since I was last on this thread many years back. "Helpful" isn't even a good enough button; some of this work should be tagged "Sheer Genius."

My question concerns decoding .SNR files by ffmpeg. My goal is to create a corpus of Sim speech. In processing the .SNR files, I find that most of them are type 05 and ealayer3 works fine, but I am still left wanting to decode some voice .SNR of the kind that need ffmpeg.
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
@Goodywood, many .SNR files are coded in a way that it's simply impossible to decode them using ffmpeg. They can, however, be replaced with custom .SNR files.

I'm trying to read some with a type byte of 04, for which ffmpeg is (or formerly was) the recommended tool.

My problem is that the command:
Code:
ffmpeg -f ea_cdata -i <snr_filename> <wav_filename>

fails due to
"[NULL @ 000001ae6dc6dc00] Requested output format 'ea_cdata' is not a suitable output format"

... which is very plausible because I don't have the plugin which, if I understand rightly, was used by ffmpeg to allow it to read that kind of SNR file. Does anyone know whether or from where the appropriate special sauce for ffmpeg is available any more? EDIT: Or even any information about the ea_cdata compression format?
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by transu
https://bitbucket.org/Translu/ealayer3b/downloads/
I finally had time to fix encoding and do this 2 new options:
--two-files
create a headerless file (the .SNS) and a header-only file (the .SNR)

--loop
use with --single-block or --two-files, mark the file as a loop

Seems like any file can be marked as loop (even radio songs). A loop has a optional "starting part" which gets played only the first time, at the beginning, currently the encoder leaves it empty.

I can't believe I'm only just seeing your post! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. I had pretty wrapped my head around everything with choppy hex editing but your update simplifies everything so much more. And streamed SNS file looping works now, too! Thank you!!!
Test Subject
#118 Old 15th May 2021 at 4:33 AM
Does anyone know how to make an snr file with a loop and an initial part? Roughly speaking, repetitive music with an initial phase that is not repeated. EaLayer3b from Translu does not provide this feature, only a loop without the initial part. I also tried to understand the hex editor, but I do not know what exactly needs to be edited in the bytes responsible for the loop and the beginning of the sample. I will be very grateful for your help.
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 15th May 2021 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iiiiiiiii
Does anyone know how to make an snr file with a loop and an initial part? Roughly speaking, repetitive music with an initial phase that is not repeated. EaLayer3b from Translu does not provide this feature, only a loop without the initial part. I also tried to understand the hex editor, but I do not know what exactly needs to be edited in the bytes responsible for the loop and the beginning of the sample. I will be very grateful for your help.

I don't remember ever getting this to work. The only game files with separate intro + loop regions that I could find were vehicle sounds, and they use the two file method, so it's kinda hard to compare the HEX values. After playing around for a bit I kinda assumed I'd come pretty close to cracking the format with my findings below, but no matter what combination I tried, the game would not play my file smoothly.

Again, the information above might be completely incorrect, but I hope I'm able to point you in the right general direction . After realising that SNR files needed a loop start sample AND address I gave up, because I couldn't find a way to pinpoint where a specific sample in the file was.
Test Subject
#120 Old 15th May 2021 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mypantsfelldown
The only game files with separate intro + loop regions that I could find were vehicle sounds, and they use the two file method...

I just found out about this when I looked at the properties of music tracks with this cycle: when converting via ealayer3 from snr to mp3, such a track was converted into two files, and vgmstream shows that layout: segmented (2 segments). Files with a simple loop are designated layout: flat.
After playing around for a bit I kinda assumed I'd come pretty close to cracking the format with my findings below, but no matter what combination I tried, the game would not play my file smoothly.

So the game didn't even play the modified files? Or playing, but somehow not so?
Again, the information above might be completely incorrect, but I hope I'm able to point you in the right general direction .

I would like to know how information is encoded in these bytes and what to write there, since for me it is just a set of letters and numbers.
After realising that SNR files needed a loop start sample AND address I gave up, because I couldn't find a way to pinpoint where a specific sample in the file was.

I think if study the source code of the new version of ealayer3, or for example, how vgmstream decodes the format, the situation will become clearer, because vgmstream also shows which sample the loop starts with in the snr file.

Do I understand correctly from the above that there is no way to make an snr with a loop and an initial part yet? If so, it's sad, but thanks anyway for trying to help and answering.
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 15th May 2021 at 10:43 PM
I just found out about this when I looked at the properties of music tracks with this cycle: when converting via ealayer3 from snr to mp3, such a track was converted into two files, and vgmstream shows that layout: segmented (2 segments). Files with a simple loop are designated layout: flat.

Which music tracks are encoded in this way? I remember the ITF loading music was but I don't remember it actually having an intro segment.

So the game didn't even play the modified files? Or playing, but somehow not so?

It varied. My testing was somewhat messy and I was playing with this quite a while ago now so my memory might be a tad muddled. I would test the file in VGM stream first and if it played back at all I would chuck it into the game and try it there. Most of the time the game would crash before playing anything, I don't remember any other outcome.

I would like to know how information is encoded in these bytes and what to write there, since for me it is just a set of letters and numbers.

Most of it is guesswork, it requires experimentation. If the values you're investigating are representative of numbers (like loop start sample/total samples), you can check this by using a hex to decimal converter like this one. Then you can kind of connect the dots.

Do I understand correctly from the above that there is no way to make an snr with a loop and an initial part yet? If so, it's sad, but thanks anyway for trying to help and answering.

Technically it might be, I don't know of anyone other than myself that's attempted this. I did manage to achieve success with the two file method, so I'm not sure if that would be helpful to you. You're welcome for the help though!
Test Subject
#122 Old 15th May 2021 at 11:04 PM
Which music tracks are encoded in this way? I remember the ITF loading music was but I don't remember it actually having an intro segment.

Music tracks for adventures in Spore Galactic Adventures. For this game, I need a loop to make a mod for custom music.
Most of it is guesswork, it requires experimentation. If the values you're investigating are representative of numbers (like loop start sample/total samples), you can check this by using a hex to decimal converter like this one. Then you can kind of connect the dots.

I'll try it.
Technically it might be, I don't know of anyone other than myself that's attempted this. I did manage to achieve success with the two file method, so I'm not sure if that would be helpful to you. You're welcome for the help though!

The two-file method? Can I learn more?
Test Subject
#123 Old 16th May 2021 at 12:38 AM

I tried to use it, and the necessary bytes show the beginning and end in the form of samples. But unfortunately, after studying the flat (normal loop) and segmented (loop with the initial part) tracks, I realized that they are different. The header seems to be the same, but apparently due to the fact that the segmented file has 2 tracks, changing the bytes in the flat track makes it unreadable.
Test Subject
#124 Old 17th May 2021 at 10:27 PM Last edited by iiiiiiiii : 17th May 2021 at 11:23 PM.
OMG! I managed to make a loop with the initial part!

After studying the loop files from Spore again, I figured out how to do everything, and I did it! I used two files converted via ealayer3, combined them in the HEX editor, added/changed the necessary bytes, and voila, everything works. I haven't tested it in the game yet, but vgmstream plays the file correctly, and shows the properties. (UPD. - I checked if my track works in the game, it works)

mypantsfelldown, thank you for the hex to dec converter, thanks to you I learned about it, and was able to do what I needed!
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 18th May 2021 at 5:15 PM
OMG! I managed to make a loop with the initial part!

After studying the loop files from Spore again, I figured out how to do everything, and I did it! I used two files converted via ealayer3, combined them in the HEX editor, added/changed the necessary bytes, and voila, everything works. I haven't tested it in the game yet, but vgmstream plays the file correctly, and shows the properties. (UPD. - I checked if my track works in the game, it works)

mypantsfelldown, thank you for the hex to dec converter, thanks to you I learned about it, and was able to do what I needed!

That's great! When joining the files together, did you remove any of the header from the second file? I'd love to get this working myself.
Page 5 of 6