Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 11:26 AM Last edited by VampireSim : 4th Mar 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Default Homosexuality in Computer Games
Hi!

Since I started playing Sims 2 a few years ago, it makes me ponder about games with homosexual content.
I'm always pleased, when I discover a game, in which I have the choice to create homosexual relationships.

In Mass Effect this happens unintentionally, because the developers forgot to script the female part separatly. But at least: it's possible.
Unfortunately not in Mass Effect II.

I never played Dragon Age, but I know, that it's also possible to have same-gender affairs.

Do you know other games with the possibility of playing homosexual characters? Male or females.

I found this interesting wikipedia text.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 11:35 PM
Well right off the bat I was going to say Dragon Age, amazing game BTW. In the Fable series you can be gay/lesbian, awesome also.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:52 AM
Thanks for the clue. I never thought of Fable. Very intersting.
As a "Gothic" Fan, I have Dragon Age on top of my wishlist.

I heard, that it's possible to have lesbian relationships in Knight of the old Republic?
Test Subject
#4 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 11:10 AM
Fable is my favourite game-series of all time ( I know it was mentioned, just have to bump up the awesomeness since Fable III came out a while ago). You can be straight, gay, bi, and hell get a guy in every town if you want to. And in Fable III, you can be a girl as well now.
Retired
retired moderator
#5 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 12:12 PM
I am gay in Minecraft.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Dec 2011 at 8:43 PM
A friend of mine mentioned, that you can marry same sex companions in"Skyrim". Really nice option.
I think, I'll marry Lydia.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 8:25 AM
Mass Effect III will allow homosexual relationships Which is AWESOME. I usually have a lot of lesbian characters in the Sims and of course Dragon Age. Stars Wars the Old Republic will as well. :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 11:20 AM
It's cool , when same sex relationships are planned and do not happen accidentally by lazy gamecodes (Mass Effect 1).

There is another roleplay game called The Dark Eye: Demonicon. I read an interview with the developers and they said, that same sex relationships are possible.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 5:07 PM
Well, it took a big step to introduce Homosexuality into gaming. People are used to seeing heterosexual couples. Why? Because either kids or teens play video games. And the parents (some) find the thought of homosexuality immoral. So, introducing homosexual into games was like when Disney introduced the first Black princess in "Princess and the Frog". Surely we have come a long way, but did we actually?

For example when I first played the Sims and two girls fell in love. I had heart shapes in my eyes, and happiness struck my heart. And I was like

"THANK YOU MAXIS!"

I wouldn't mind getting other games that wrap around homosexuality. I haven't played Dragon Age, but heard it is awesome

And Fable is sticking to their guns. And keeping the ability to have homosexual relationships in Fable III.

But what I don't get..Is why its such a huge problem?

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 1:57 AM
It's a problem because Republicans/Religious groups tend to frown upon and even try to get the developers to change the games. This is somewhat unrelated, but Dante's Inferno was almost not released because so many church groups pretty much threatened Visceral Games due to the very high graphic depiction of "Hell" that the character and real life Dante Alighieri supposedly went through. But I think the issue of homosexuality in video games isn't pressed as much as it should be because those characters can choose to be straight, gay or bi. So pretty much everyone wins.

Also another game not mentioned that was pretty much a revelation to players was Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix. After going about halfway through the game, you would be pretty much blindsided by the fact that the two females characters Hannah and Raine are lovers.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HylianWolf
It's a problem because Republicans/Religious groups tend to frown upon and even try to get the developers to change the games. This is somewhat unrelated, but Dante's Inferno was almost not released because so many church groups pretty much threatened Visceral Games due to the very high graphic depiction of "Hell" that the character and real life Dante Alighieri supposedly went through. But I think the issue of homosexuality in video games isn't pressed as much as it should be because those characters can choose to be straight, gay or bi. So pretty much everyone wins.

Also another game not mentioned that was pretty much a revelation to players was Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix. After going about halfway through the game, you would be pretty much blindsided by the fact that the two females characters Hannah and Raine are lovers.

That is pretty much the truth. But I am not sure. Its like people don't want others to be, well, themselves. To be what the public wants them to be. And you're right. But then again, there are Gays that support the Republican party, and are Christians. o.o

However, I will throw this out there:

"Sexuality is fluid, whether you're gay or you're straight or you're bisexual, you just go with the flow"--Shane McCutcheon from the L Word.

People need to understand that homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals. If I want to make a lesbian Sim, by golly I am going too :P

Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nevermore Raven
"Sexuality is fluid, whether you're gay or you're straight or you're bisexual, you just go with the flow"--Shane McCutcheon from the L Word.

That's my life motto: Panta rhei (all things flow)

I don't want to play games where same sex relationships happen accidentally like in Mass Effect 1 (as I said before). It's waste of my time. It's like: "Whoops, we forgot the female scripts!"
I want to have provided same sex relationships. I want to have the choice. If relationships are possible in a game, then you should be able to choose. It's possible in Sims. Why not in other games?!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VampireSim
That's my life motto: Panta rhei (all things flow)

I don't want to play games where same sex relationships happen accidentally like in Mass Effect 1 (as I said before). It's waste of my time. It's like: "Whoops, we forgot the female scripts!"
I want to have provided same sex relationships. I want to have the choice. If relationships are possible in a game, then you should be able to choose. It's possible in Sims. Why not in other games?!

I love Shane McCutcheon

Anyway so not the point. And I agree with you. But it is a boundary that seems remotely difficult to pass. Such as with Disney and making the very first black princess

"Princess and the Frog"

They were honestly scared of how the general public would react. And when it comes down to homosexuality in any sort of video game. It is seen either immoral or not natural. Because people who are of the same sex, are not allowed to love. Its weird.

So, crossing that boundary is going to be hard, and to make it not a mistake, then it makes even harder. Sims brought a whole new light when they brought in:

"Joined Union"

And usually all of my Sims are gay o.o

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 4:38 AM
Heh, yeah I have a famous gay anime/manga couple in my 'hood, Shindou Shuichi and Eiri Yuki from the series Gravitation. In the series, both manga and anime, their relationship was very controversial until it was generally accepted by Shindou and Yuki's fans. I only saw the anime, but heard that the manga was awesome
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 5:06 AM
Oh my gosh! If I could get Shizuma Hanazono's hair, I would soooooooooooo make her! And make Nagisa Aoi. I LOVE THEM! And I would soooooooooooooooooooooooooo love to play them I am soooooooooooo in love with that couple Gah! Now I need to make them *pouts*

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 2:11 AM
well how come none mentioned Kotor 1 and 2 ? or BG 1&2 ?
In Kotor 1 (bless you Bioware) you had Juhani as female lesbo . In Kotor 2 (damn you lucas!) you get none . In Jade Empire (Bless you Bio) you had 3some (1men , 2ladies) , lesbi(2ladies) Gay(2mens) , + (optional : 2 ladies but with your input and without you lol) .
Now in BG 1 , I don't recall but in BG 2 there is none . But the community made some : Chloé (don't ask me cose you won't like me then) and Sarah for female/female and Nathanial (I think) for male/male .
Hum there is also mods for Icewind Dale and I believe the mod for Icewind Dale 2 add a bisexual romance .
Also mod for kotor 1 include making Bastilla Lesbienne lol and Juhani Bi (when orig: she is lesbienne) .
Hum this is not a romance mod persé but in Mount&Blade if you play the Nativity mod exp . It change the male to more female . Like hire more female cavalery and add gay humour and stuff
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 2:41 PM
Cool! The list is growing.
I never played KotoR
*PUTS IT ON AMAZON WISHLIST*
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:13 AM
I completely forgot! There is also Morrowind . Now there is no romance per se in the game . But (God Bless communities) they made stuff Gay/Lesb for the game .

An exemple here

And I bet they are making some for Oblivion ! hum and there are mods with Gay/lesb romance in the game NeverWinter Night .

One exemple is Poecile romance for Aribeth (originaly hetero only) , he open the romance to lesbienne with his mod

- Shaar: I only have *ONE*god ! and it's ME! -
- My mind is rpg , My heart is Music and My gender is Art -
Test Subject
#19 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VampireSim
I heard, that it's possible to have lesbian relationships in Knight of the old Republic?

yes, it's possible. it mostly depends on how well you get along with either your first male friend (if you're male) or any of your female companions. it's very hard, tho'. i personally never did.

also, about skyrim, i don't think you can marry any of your followers. they already always do follow you around when you ask, and if not, they go to your house..
my suggestion, there's a rather pretty-looking singer in one of the inns you might find interest in, if your character is female, as mine was.

good luck!
Test Subject
#20 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 1:27 PM
In harvest moon DS cute for Japan they have the Best Friend system which lets your girl farmer be a lesbian but sadly it is not in the English version of the game.

Best Friend system