Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 5:36 PM
Default Writing Exercises
This is not a story. This is from a blog on MySpace, I do not take credit for the writing of this material. I just thought a few of you on here might find this stuff interesting.
Find the original here

(1) Warm Up Your Imagination
Take a few minutes to freewrite. Freewriting is writing whatever comes to your mind as soon as it comes; without thinking, you put the words on paper. Don't worry about grammar, spelling, or even making sense—the point is to get your imagination loose.

(2) Create Your Character
Getting to know a character is one of the most important things you can do as a writer. Otherwise you have no way of knowing how he or she will react to situations that arise once you get into writing your story. Write a sketch of a character in your story. What is the character's name? Age? What does the character like to do on Saturdays? What is your character's favorite movie? Why? Make a list or write a paragraph describing your character.

(3) Focus on the Details
Spend a minute or two focusing on your surroundings. What do you see? What do you smell? What do you hear? The answers to these questions are the details of a story. Focusing on the world around your character is what creates description in your story.

Now it's time to try it with your character. Use one of the situations below (or come up with one of your own) to create a scene full of description and details.

.. Your character is on a boat at sea.

.. Your character is in the middle of a crowded city.

.. Your character is exploring an enchanted forest.

(4) Give Your Characters a Voice

"I don't suppose your eyes ever pop out," I said.

"I don't think so." Hattie smiled complacently. "They're too small to pop."

This is an example of dialogue from Gail Carson Levine's book Ella Enchanted. Dialogue moves the story along through conversation between characters. It is a great way to get details, emotions, and thoughts into your story.

Now write some of your own. Imagine your character is telling a secret to a friend. Write the dialogue.

(5) Write Your Favorite Part First
You don't always have to start writing a story at the beginning. Sometimes, to really get into your story, you need to start with the part of the story that interests you the most. Write a scene. Don't worry about where it falls in your story—if it is the beginning or the end; just write your favorite part. Try to use lots of details and plenty of dialogue.

Inspired by Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic
Writing Magic, Copyright © 2006 by Gail Carson Levine. All Rights Reserved. HarperCollins Publishers
28 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 7:08 PM
Thanks for this, some great tips!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 5:54 AM
Great tips, thanks so much!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 5:59 AM
One of the things that really helps me to write is to be very passionate about the character or storyplot. If you're really into what you're writing about, it's so much easier.

I'm writing a story, I'm currently on Part 3... and it got really hard to a while because I lost my passion but luckily the main characters are based on people I can relate to or are based on myself, or they are based on people and their personalities that I know really well. I'm also fully in love with the person I based one of my characters on so that has helped a great deal to keep the story going.

That's probably why fanfiction can be easy to write... it comes directly from your heart's desires.

These are the days it never rains, but it pours - Under Pressure by Queen

You lock the door and throw away the key, there's someone in my head but it's not me - Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 6:09 AM
I like this, thanks for sharing. I stickied it for ya

Formerly known as boolPropped
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 6:17 PM
Thanks boolPropped!
Glad it's helpful for some of you =]
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 2:26 AM
Thanks for posting this - It's inspired me to start writing a bit (and considering that I hate the physical parts of writing and have trouble translating thoughts to words, that's pretty amazing)! I don't often start and stick with big projects, but this has made me work and stick with something. Hm, I must say that starting with the favorite part certainly is useful.

((This is slightly off-topic, but I love Gail Carson Levine! :D))

"Why do we drink cow milk? Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?" -Calvin and Hobbes
#8 Old 27th Jan 2007 at 3:09 AM
Definately helps. Thanks for sharing! ^_^
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2007 at 2:05 PM
a very useful thread! good job!
#10 Old 28th Mar 2007 at 2:07 AM
That will help me out when I do mine .

i am just curious to know, How should I go about starting one? Should I write it out, and take pictures to fit? or take pictures first and write the story around it?
#11 Old 5th May 2007 at 3:32 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!! im planning on writing my own story soon but i dont know what to write about lol these are really useful!
#12 Old 15th Aug 2007 at 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tips haylifer.:D
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 3:37 AM
very helpful indeed, thanks for posting this Haylifer

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 4:06 AM
I always think of my story. Anywhere. Then when i get free time i sit down, and edit it all in my head write it down take unnecessary parts out and proof read it then post it.

I hope my story gets admitted...
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 9:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. :3 I'll sure us them when my story ish up. :D
Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 2:41 PM
Default Fantasy Story - where to put it?
Hey there xP

I have a question and im really glad I found at least this thread with sim stories... I have a story that is not a sim story, but I want to share it and would love to have some responses other then my friends here xD

So.. where do I post such stories?

People could use my story to make pictures for it ofc.

Thank you :3