Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Smooth Patch 2.1

by LazyDuchess Posted 31st Jul 2021 at 6:37 PM - Updated 31st Jan 2024 at 8:38 PM by LazyDuchess

508 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 355 Feedback Posts, 152 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 8 of 21
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by venucostam
Guys help me, i really can't find the "game" folder in the sims 3, i need to make it or..? please help

The game folder is OriginGames\The Sims 3\Game\Bin if using Origin, if that's any help. You don't need to make it. You'll know you're in the right place because TS3.exe is there.

"Knowledge is one part of the battle. Fireballs are the other part."
Test Subject
#177 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by magdalenepoet
I installed the update, and I had to remove it because it made my game crash. Has anyone else had this problem with the update?

Nope! It works even better since the update, actually!
Field Researcher
#178 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 1:57 PM
Glad to hear that! It may have been a different problem I experienced then.

Quote: Originally posted by Blumusita
Nope! It works even better since the update, actually!
Test Subject
#179 Old 30th Nov 2021 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackenedHole
Alright, I gotta pop in here and say that I can clearly tell the difference on just the first launch in the performance of the game (with at least 100GBs of CC compressed in CCMagic). It's smoother than butter in menus and screens that I know were lagfests before the mod install. The only thing that's a little disappointing is that it took us this long to have this amount of performance increase from a MOD and not the actual official game itself!

Absolutely fantastic work and one of the mods I'm keeping in a locked backup in case I have to do another reinstall down the line!

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I really have to say it: THANK YOU! In all these years I've somehow never come across CCMagic. I just launched my game and holy crow -- it was like a religious experience watching the loading bar actually move. Gonna finish processing my stuff and then install this patch, but I'm just so grateful you mentioned it. <3 Can't wait to see what this does!
Test Subject
#180 Old 2nd Dec 2021 at 10:22 AM
Thanks for looking into the settings in Direct3D. Clearly Maxis didn't think to put any sane framerate limits in Sims 3. At least it's D3D stack isn't like Sims 2. *GAG*

I'm Working an a DXVK.conf file for those running Wine w/ DXVK9 on Linux, and so far it fixes several performance issues and the info has been a big help.

If you are looking at an even better performance/quality patch try making the standard DXVK injector patch to replace Microsoft's poorly maintained Direct 3D 9.5 with the now highly polished DXVK stack that is was originally developed for Windows compatibility on Linux. You can find similar stacks for many other games, such as Fallout New Vegas. It provides a lot of performance advantage and with a little tweaking graphics quality gains. It slightly increases overhead on load and drastically reduces overhead during runtime for most games.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#181 Old 3rd Dec 2021 at 6:05 PM
Super smooth worked fantastic. Incredible thanks for sharing!
Test Subject
#182 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 9:36 PM
Patch has been working great!! One bug I noticed, which seems to persist even after moving my household to a new town, starting a new save, playing as a different Alien sim.. Alien sims who dont have an energy bar normally (Teen and up i believe), still feel energy drain and eventually pass out. Ive been playing an alien household before and after i got this patch. Since i added the patch my alien sim will eventually get the tired moodlet and pass out if i dont get her to bed, (or TestingCheatsEnabled On and ctrl+click the moodlet away) She still has no energy bar, as is normal for alien sims, though. Just gets the energy drain. Ive tried just 'Restoring Brain Power' and that doesnt make it go away miraculously or anything lol
Test Subject
#183 Old 10th Dec 2021 at 11:37 PM
i'm an autodidact and professionally trained too (evrythng frm builds of PCs, mac upgrades, to massive world bank system admin - even - Gasp! DB2 mainframes ! - so i know my stuff & know how to find it. been running all the sims 3 'games' w/ nraas mods on 1 side (of my current 3-sided beast pc) that runs win7x64, & despite the 99% cpu glitch, i have never had probs - since sims1 - w/ crashes, lag, stuttering, etc. settings NOT down for speed, pretty up 4 looks, and i may get a 12 error after 4 hrs of editing a town, ignoring the save prompts... ADHD is horrible LOL. win10 sux, waiting 4 11 tho one side is win10 /c, u know, i have to. do y'all really want to lose the richness of the details of the game... or must u?? i can get it to cruise on my ancient (upgraded) MB Pro on a virt machine! i wait the 8 mins for it to load, hate the 5 mins 2 save, and ignore the 4 min exit. it's my bad if i do fail or hang, i got multi other apps running, and a network server 4 work, and i got fast clean sharp sims and med detail elsewhere. i don't take videos but i would love to see some clips of what ur games must look like slowed down and dumbed down to run. hmmm. ah. the app for a sys spec snap is updating but i can say quickly, amd 8core fx8350, 32GB RAM, fairly wussy 3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7970, on a fab ASRock 990FX Extreme4 board. 8 drives installed but that changes at any min, and obvs it's my Beast, music vid all. w/ my 2008 jacked up macbook pro too. lotsa servers here too, older sweets i can't let go, plus work machines, apple pads ets, and... no real cell and to cable/ "real" tv at all. so what y'all running? gotta be som egamers beasts out there! i'm getting a new one - the bits to build anywya 4 christmas -, this thing i built yrrrsss ago now, there's a glitch on the board now that amkes her sleeepy if running 4 a week or so. weak old hdd i think, or a gremlin. can't find the circuit but it's nothing. loud tho! fans! and fullon multi lights etc lolol. what u have that req such measures to ruin the feel look of the game??? i never did have probs w/ machines i built. if i did, i fixed it. side always off!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#184 Old 15th Dec 2021 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmerGeorge
I'm having problems running the game from the PatchLauncher. Origin opens up and then the launcher does as well but it comes with an error that the game needs origin to run and Origin cannot be detected, so the game can't start...

Can anyone help with this? Several people are reporting it.
Test Subject
#185 Old 18th Dec 2021 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ruedii
Thanks for looking into the settings in Direct3D. Clearly Maxis didn't think to put any sane framerate limits in Sims 3. At least it's D3D stack isn't like Sims 2. *GAG*

I'm Working an a DXVK.conf file for those running Wine w/ DXVK9 on Linux, and so far it fixes several performance issues and the info has been a big help.

If you are looking at an even better performance/quality patch try making the standard DXVK injector patch to replace Microsoft's poorly maintained Direct 3D 9.5 with the now highly polished DXVK stack that is was originally developed for Windows compatibility on Linux. You can find similar stacks for many other games, such as Fallout New Vegas. It provides a lot of performance advantage and with a little tweaking graphics quality gains. It slightly increases overhead on load and drastically reduces overhead during runtime for most games.

Hi, I'm using Linux and would like to see your DXVK.conf file. Thanks!
Also I have a question. Does Smooth Patch work on Linux? I tried using it, but it had no effect.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#186 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 3:16 PM
Thank you so much!!
However, it seems to affect Auto Cheater, that no longer works.
Do you have some tips for it?
Thank you again!
Instructor
#187 Old 24th Dec 2021 at 1:42 PM
After hearing all the praise, I tried this mod especially hoping to ease cas & build buy lag, however everything from waiting for the intial load screen, waiting on a save to load, cas, build buy, & gameplay now had SERIOUS lag as in everything took quadruple or longer on my gaming PC. Matter of a fact, getting from the initial load screen to load game selection took the better part of a day, meanwhile a relative who had a lower quality PC in the same room who launched the game at the same time as me had done loaded Sims 3 and was playing the game while I was still waiting to get to the load game menu when normally even if I launch a bit after them I beat them. Removed your mod and it loaded fast as ever. So, obviously it ain't all it's made out to be. So much for all the hype.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#188 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 12:54 AM
I used a previous version of this mod, version 1.1 and it worked great. This version 1.2 caused heavy lag in my game so i reverted back to the previous version and its working just fine again
Test Subject
#189 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by t888
After hearing all the praise, I tried this mod especially hoping to ease cas & build buy lag, however everything from waiting for the intial load screen, waiting on a save to load, cas, build buy, & gameplay now had SERIOUS lag as in everything took quadruple or longer on my gaming PC. Matter of a fact, getting from the initial load screen to load game selection took the better part of a day, meanwhile a relative who had a lower quality PC in the same room who launched the game at the same time as me had done loaded Sims 3 and was playing the game while I was still waiting to get to the load game menu when normally even if I launch a bit after them I beat them. Removed your mod and it loaded fast as ever. So, obviously it ain't all it's made out to be. So much for all the hype.

You should give the previous version of this mod a try. It works alot better than the current version.
Test Subject
#190 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by veronicaLaw
You should give the previous version of this mod a try. It works alot better than the current version.
Sorry I'm very new here, how do you get a previous version?
Test Subject
#191 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 2:22 PM
Could anyone share a previous version please? Can't find how to download it
Test Subject
#192 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 3:51 PM Last edited by Plumbob09 : 27th Dec 2021 at 4:08 PM.
I think the previous version veronicaLaw is referring to is 1.1 which you can get here

https://allabouthatcc.tumblr.com/po...th-patch-11/amp

Edit: Nvm I just realized they updated both download links to the new version. Sorry guys.
Test Subject
#193 Old 2nd Jan 2022 at 4:21 PM
My Sims3 came from Steam.
I do not have Sims 3/Game/Bin. I go to Documents: Electronic Arts: Sims 3 and this is what I have.
Collections
ContentPatch
CurrentGame.Sims3
Custom Music
DC backup DCCCashe
Downloads
Exports
Featureditems
IGAC
Installedworlds
Library
Mods
Recorded Video
SavedOutfits
SavedSims
Saves
Screenshots
SigsCashe
Thumbnails
WorldCaches
Test Subject
#194 Old 3rd Jan 2022 at 9:08 PM
This is super useful but ever since I downloaded it, my game won' let me take screenshots. During the game, it acts as if it had taken them but then nothing appears when I go see them. Has it happened to anyone else? Does anyone else know how to fix it?
Test Subject
#195 Old 5th Jan 2022 at 2:08 AM
I'm not really sure which version I should download since parts of my Sims 3 collection is through Origin and parts aren't. The base game was a physical copy, but the expansion pack I use to launch (Into the Future) is through Origin. Also, like other posters here, I can't find the location to unzip the file into.
Test Subject
#196 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by linxlan
Hi, I'm using Linux and would like to see your DXVK.conf file. Thanks!
Also I have a question. Does Smooth Patch work on Linux? I tried using it, but it had no effect.

Either add WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ddraw=n,b" to the command for wine or you can set ddraw to "native then builtin" in the libraries tab under winecfg for the wine prefix you are using.
Test Subject
#197 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 3:41 PM
Okay now that I got the launcher to work (fault was my own stupidity) I have a different question. I noticed that when launching the game from this launcher with the fps limiter, it seems to affect my vsync I have set manully through Nvidia settings in the game. It either turns off or it doesnt work properly.
Any idea if the mod is the issue? If I need to do anything with my settings after installing the mod?
Test Subject
#198 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 3:53 AM Last edited by SimsKtar : 11th Jan 2022 at 4:39 AM.
CAS and BUY load faster... but the game itself loads more slowly? Solutions found?
I read through a lot of the comments here to know what to expect and watch out for. I had tried it before a few weeks ago, but noted that my tab-mode camera seemed borked if I loaded the game with smoothpatch. Today I finally found time to do some testing with my camera mods to see if there was a conflict or something.
-Cameras worked okay but their movement seemed a little less... smooth, than before? Like, when I zoom it jumps instead of just smoothly moving. Not a huge issue.
-CAS and Buy mode did seem to load quite a bit faster in-game. That was nice.

However, I just got done converting all my store content to package files so that my game loading was much much faster, down to about ten minutes or less usually... and when I loaded with smooth patch, it took 30+ minutes to load my game. =/ I'm not sure the trade-off is worth it. Has anyone had any ideas yet as to why some people's games load more slowly with the patch?

I'm on 1.69 game version, Windows 10, have not yet tried the mod to bypass the launcher/origin, my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTx 1070ti, I use CCMagic for my packaged CC and store content, and a lot of NRAAS mods as well as others, I also use AwesomeMod. I'm not sure if anything else is relevant. Any ideas on why the game would take longer to load with smooth patch?

I made the following changes:
I enabled borderless windowed mode in the patch.txt file
I went into my NVIDIA control panel and limited FPS to 60.
I did the Sims3.ini edit described in step 5 of this post: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi.../?id=1131162350 (Change memory usage limit to 4gb instead of 2)
I did the GraphicsRules.sgr edit described in step 6 of the same post as above (Change all CPU level usage numbers other than Uber to 3)

After that, I reloaded the game using the patch loader, and my game loaded in less than 5 minutes.

I'm guessing that perhaps this mod attempts to use MORE CPU than usual even on loading, so if you haven't made some of these edits to allow more CPU usage... it slows down loading instead? That's a guess, I don't really know enough about these things to say which of the things I changed caused such a drastic difference, but after making these changes, there WAS a drastic difference. Hope this helps others who may experience the same difficulty.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#199 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 8:07 AM
It changed my life ... to a much more smooth experience Big Hug, THANK YOU
Inventor
#200 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 6:13 PM
Does this mod also improve upon the little lags and stutters when playing the game?
Page 8 of 21