Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 1:59 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Feb 2014 at 8:29 PM.
Default The "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" Challenge
This challenge was born because I wanted an interesting, but not ridiculously difficult set of rules for a legacy-style challenge.

With each generation, you try to complete three goals with your heir. The goals are all linked to the 4 careers mentioned in the title. You will need Open for Business and FreeTime to complete this challenge. You can either use your founder/CAS-made Sim as your Tinker (so you're challenge lasts for 4 generations) or your first generation can be normal gameplay, and your first heir is your Tinker (meaning that your challenge lasts for 5.) The generations must be played in the correct order, of course!

GenerationCareerGoal 1Goal 2Goal 3
1 (or 2)TinkerMax out Tinkering enthusiasmMax out Mechanical skillEarn a gold Robotics talent badge
2 (or 3)TailorMax out Arts & Crafts enthusiasmMax out Creativity skillEarn a gold Sewing talent badge
3 (or 4)SoldierReach the top of the Military careerMax out Athletic skillMax out Mechanical skill
4 (or 5)SpyReach the top of the Intelligence careerMax out Logic skillMax out Cleaning skill

Your Tinker and Tailor are not allowed to have jobs, and must earn money using their skills. Their spouses (and non-heir children) are allowed to have any job they like (as can the spouses/non-heir children of your Soldier and Spy.)

Obviously, you are not allowed to use cheats during this challenge, but any other rules go. You can have as many kids as you like per generation (but you can only pick one heir per generation to become your Tinker/Tailor/Soldier/Spy.) You can have alien pregnancies and supernatural Sims. This challenge is designed as a way to direct your legacy if you want some simple rules and a bit of direction, without constantly having to think about rule-breaking and meeting loads of requirements.

Hopefully these rules are clear, but feel free to leave any questions you may have and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 2:08 PM
Love the sound of this, will give it a go! And I'll admit I got excited by the title (I love love love the movie xD)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 3:14 PM
Ha, this sounds fun! I actually have a teen spare with Tinkering OTH that I had no idea what to do with next, and this sounds like the perfect idea to implement as a legacy mini-challenge for him.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2012 at 11:32 PM
Wow this sounds like a lot of fun. I've never been able to complete a full legacy challenge so maybe this will be the perfect size for me.
Test Subject
#5 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 4:53 PM
I love the sound of this, defiantly giving it a go!
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 8:00 AM
I was thinking to start over and mini legacy challenge like this one will be perfect
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 8:43 PM
Thank you This is perfect. I never finish legacies (too boring) I'll give this a try
Test Subject
#8 Old 12th Feb 2013 at 11:10 PM
Sounds like "The Westing game" to me
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Feb 2013 at 12:15 AM
How? There's no puzzles to solve and no underlying goal of forging connections among the heirs.

Hmmm...I wonder if you could make a Westing Game style challenge, though? (If this encourages anybody to read the book, which is by Ellen Raskin and will be found in the children's room of your public library and which is an amazing mind-bender of a book with a heroine named Turtle, then my work here is well done.)

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 13th Feb 2013 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
How? There's no puzzles to solve and no underlying goal of forging connections among the heirs.

Hmmm...I wonder if you could make a Westing Game style challenge, though? (If this encourages anybody to read the book, which is by Ellen Raskin and will be found in the children's room of your public library and which is an amazing mind-bender of a book with a heroine named Turtle, then my work here is well done.)

Peni:
Love the "Westing Game". So many twists and turns. Everyone looks guilty. This OFB challenge may be just the right thing to integrate into the Test of Time challenge to give some interest to the Renaissance Era. I may actually get to that age cause I "cheated" and reduced my legacy to two generations per historic era.

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Test Subject
#11 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 2:15 AM
Default Re: Westing Game
The Westing Game is more about the special skills that make their interactions possible, more so than the people themselves (What I found, at least.). The mix in personalities was more engaging then the story at first. Imagine if the charectors has simelar, boring, office careers - I wouldn't have read the whole thing.