Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TeenStar PC -> New Name: PC Omega 3000 - Updated for FREETIME

by CtfG Posted 12th Mar 2006 at 1:42 AM - Updated 16th Apr 2008 at 11:48 AM by CtfG : Update FREETIME, Bugfix info

112 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 109 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Test Subject
#26 Old 10th Oct 2006 at 5:09 AM
I'm having same problem with the pc not showing up. I've double-checked the location of the package file (in my downloads folder) and I've also ran the link above from simswardrobe (no conflicts detected). Could it be because I have no eps installed?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 10th Oct 2006 at 9:19 AM Last edited by CtfG : 10th Oct 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by langleydesigns
(...) Could it be because I have no eps installed?

The PC is set up to work without any EP, but I'll have a close look at it. I'll report back.

------------------

Edit: @ langleydesigns: I've modified the files, and I sent you a PM with a link to the test version. What I did was: I removed the included recolors from the package file and put them back into separate files. Maybe the original game cannot handle more than one color in a custom content file. Otherwise, I have no idea what might be wrong. Let me know the results of your test.

Thanks!
Instructor
#28 Old 11th Oct 2006 at 10:26 PM
I'm having a problem that the quit school option is not appearing. I'm not sure if it's just a mod conflict or what. I can take out all my other mods and see it still doesn't appear.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonshine
I'm having a problem that the quit school option is not appearing. I'm not sure if it's just a mod conflict or what. I can take out all my other mods and see it still doesn't appear.

Your profile shows that you have all EP's installed, so your game resembles mine. This makes me wonder because the screenshots on top come straight out of the game, and all options show up.

"Quit school" is only available for teens. The text strings are entered in both english and german. Any other language should default back to the english text.

- Do you have FFS and/or GLS installed?
- Which language are you running?
- Do you have any other modded objects that base on the Moneywell PC?

Maybe these answers will help me in investigating.
Instructor
#30 Old 13th Oct 2006 at 8:07 AM Last edited by Sonshine : 13th Oct 2006 at 9:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CtfG
- Do you have FFS and/or GLS installed?
- Which language are you running?
- Do you have any other modded objects that base on the Moneywell PC?

Maybe these answers will help me in investigating.

I do have FFS and GLS, I'm running the game in English and I took out ALL of my hacks except for yours to test this out. I found that when I loaded the game up, the quit school option did show up, but my teen could not quit. Every time I queued it up, it would just drop out like things do when sims can't access them or if they're blocked. I'm stumped. I have a "bad" teen who I want to quit school.

Edit: I found the hack that was causing the error msg (I forgot to mention that) and blocking the options from appearing. It's the S2L Work From Home hack which I really don't need anyway, since Monique's comp allows that. However I still have the problem of the quit school option not working.

Edit again: I just found out that none of the options will work except for Teen Job. I'm almost wondering if it isn't GLS that's messing w/it. Just a thought. Thanks for trying to help.
Instructor
#31 Old 13th Oct 2006 at 11:15 PM Last edited by Proxian_girl : 14th Oct 2006 at 11:29 PM.
No problem If I can help, I'm glad to help.

You posted a comment in a different thread: "Hanging on to this because who knows when something like this may come in handy? Putting it with the other hacks I can't use right now because I'm working on a Legacy Challenge..."

Now, are you absolutely sure you put the .package into the correct Downloads folder? Into the one, which is active right now and loaded when the game starts? Just to make sure: the .package file belongs to
<drive>:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

As soon as the PC is there, it should appear in the buy catalogue. But if it is still not available there, please try Paladin's "Sims 2 Hack Conflict Detection Utility", available at http://www.simwardrobe.com/ . It will list any possible conflicts among your downloads.

If, after all these checks, you still have problems, don't hesitate to post here

CtfG

Yes, I have the hacks in a separate folder, but I put the items into the correct D/L folder. I knew that would be one of the things you asked.

Thanks, I'll go find that conflict-detector thing. I'm so very sorry about causing fuss!

EDIT: *edit removed for confusing people*

Contemplating making Golden Sun stuff for TS2.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 14th Oct 2006 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonshine
Edit again: I just found out that none of the options will work except for Teen Job. I'm almost wondering if it isn't GLS that's messing w/it. Just a thought. Thanks for trying to help.

EP4 (Pets) will appear in a few days. Please give me the time to wait for this EP; when it comes out, I'll also get FFS and GLS, just to be capable of better trouble-shooting I'll get back to here in about a week or so.

Quote: Originally posted by Proxian_girl
The conflict-detector came up empty... (and I might mention I'm having similar problems with your Magic Easel)... One thing that's occurred to me time and time again is that there was another modded object I downloaded that turned up in a different category of Buy Mode.

Now you find me confused... Is the PC showing up in a wrong category, or is it not showing up at all? And the Magic Easel is also not showing up? Or is it too in a wrong category?
Instructor
#33 Old 14th Oct 2006 at 3:18 PM
EP4 (Pets) will appear in a few days. Please give me the time to wait for this EP; when it comes out, I'll also get FFS and GLS, just to be capable of better trouble-shooting I'll get back to here in about a week or so.

Will do! I prob won't get Pets right away. I usually give the modders time to get the game and revise their mods and then I get it. Thanks!!
Instructor
#34 Old 14th Oct 2006 at 11:27 PM
Now you find me confused... Is the PC showing up in a wrong category, or is it not showing up at all? And the Magic Easel is also not showing up? Or is it too in a wrong category?

My apologies: Niether the PC nor the Magic Easel show up in Buy Mode. Anywhere. I checked the other categories.

I think I confused myself with that one, too.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 12:08 PM
The PC has been updated to fix the bug that some options do not show up. I'm not absolutely sure what caused the problems; I discovered two possible sources:

The text strings existed in all languages, but I had updated only English and German with the options Quit School, Public School and Private School. To avoid further confusion, I simply deleted every other language except English and German. Any other language version will now default back to English. My apologies to all players who use a different version, but this was the fastest and easiest way.

One of the functions which are responsible for displaying the text on the pie menus was pure nonsense. I can't explain how it found its way in, but this one is fixed, too. Now the PC should work.

NOTE: Please note that only "pure" teens and children will be able to use this PC! InSimenater's "Intermediate Teen" will not be able to work with this object.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 12:13 PM
My apologies: Niether the PC nor the Magic Easel show up in Buy Mode. Anywhere. I checked the other categories.

I think I confused myself with that one, too.

Sounds like Custom Content is not enabled. If it is... Well, then I really have no more explanation why you can't see the object. By registering the GUID with SimPE, I ensured that at least the ID will produce no conflict, and the categories are also properly set (Hobby/Creativity for the Easel, Electronic/Video & TV for the PC). Please check if Custom Content is enabled (Options - F5). Otherwise, I'm terribly sorry that I can't think of anything else that might cause the objects not to show up.
Test Subject
#37 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 10:19 PM
It looks wonderful!

But just a quick question (you must be getting quite sick of them by now! ) : If I use this object to have a teen quit school, can he/she use it to get back in again? Like, they stay home for a day, and then go to school again. Or does the option dissapear?
Test Subject
#38 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 1:44 AM
ok im confused i have 2 documents areas preaseo /c and just plain documents
Test Subject
#39 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 1:48 AM
NVM found out myself
Test Subject
#40 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 3:25 AM
now im confused again i searched the whole buy thing and i didnt find it =( im sure i moved it to the right one
Test Subject
#41 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 3:28 AM
if this is what couses it how do i turn on custom content?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#42 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Member789
If I use this object to have a teen quit school, can he/she use it to get back in again? Like, they stay home for a day, and then go to school again. Or does the option dissapear?

All school options are permanent. If you want your teen(s) to stay home for one day, you should best Quit School before 7am or after 1pm. This will avoid any penalties. Next step: Again before 7am or after 1pm, select Public or Private school to send the kids back to school.

Quote: Originally posted by ze789
now im confused again i searched the whole buy thing and i didnt find it =( im sure i moved it to the right one //---// if this is what couses it how do i turn on custom content?

From your profile I could see that you too have only the original game. Now I'm starting to wonder what's going on there... I cloned the objects from the base version of the game to avoid that kind of problems. I need to check this intensively now. I'll get back here as soon as I found out what is wrong.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 10:41 AM
The problem with my objects not showing up in the base game is kind of solved. Please read here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=193604, post #23.
Test Subject
#44 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 1:18 PM
um i dont have the magic easle or any of the other ones
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ze789
um i dont have the magic easle or any of the other ones

The problem is the same with all my objects, be it this PC or the Easel or whatever. I just wanted to post the long explanation in only one place.
Instructor
#46 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 1:50 PM
This is fantastic! Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 28th Oct 2006 at 11:11 AM
The saga continues...

I re-created the PC from scratch to ensure base game compatibility. Now it really should work as described: TS2 will see the standard options, Uni all college-related options, and OfB all Business and Real-Estate menus.

If you have only the base game installed and want to test this PC, please download again and overwrite the former version. I do hope that this object now works. Please post a short message here if you tested it with the base game (and no EP installed). Thanks for the cooperation.

Let Teens Live Alone With TeenStar PC
Let Teens Adopt A Baby/Toddler/Child
>>> Check my profile page for further hacks <<<
Instructor
#48 Old 28th Oct 2006 at 6:03 PM Last edited by Proxian_girl : 28th Oct 2006 at 11:10 PM.
YES! *downloads*

I am testing the new "base-game" TeenStar PC!

Sorry we missed each other, I unexpectedly ran out of coffee and had to go get more... plus there's the whole issue of Germany and Texas having a 7-hour difference...

EDIT: Hm... the new version doesn't seem to be working, either... unless I downloaded it before the new version was up? *closes TS2 and downloads again*

EDIT #2: Still not working. Which is a crying shame, because your Alien Abduction telescope works like a charm and I'd love to see the TeenStarPC in action!

Instructor
#49 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 4:15 PM
Still not working. The Age Resetter does show, the TeenStar PC does not.

(sorry about the double-post!)

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 5:56 PM
Still not working. The Age Resetter does show, the TeenStar PC does not.

No more ideas on my side to that one... When I re-installed my game today, I stopped after the base game, patched it, copied back my Downloads folder and started the game. The Magic objects didn't show, as expected, but the Abducter, the PC and the Age Resetter were there.

I highly recommend the patch, Proxian_girl. You can get it at: http://thesims2.ea.com/update.

CtfG

Let Teens Live Alone With TeenStar PC
Let Teens Adopt A Baby/Toddler/Child
>>> Check my profile page for further hacks <<<
Page 2 of 5