Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 5:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Insane Frame Lag Despite Great Specs
Hello,
I've had insane performance problems any time I've played the game long enough to have a family of six or more, or a sizable home with many items. Any time a large number of objects or sims enter the camera view, my game slows to one or two frames per second. I've accepted this for years, placing the blame on weak hardware, but with my new specs I don't know why this would be an issue. The help I've seen offered in trying to fix this mainly consisted of using graphics rules maker, restarting my PC before playing, or just closing all background apps, All of which I have done, and none of which have changed my situation.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
NVIDIA RTX 3070 GPU
16GB RAM
Windows 10 OS

All help is appreciated. I'd really like to use 50 sim household mods but I don't in fear of the lag somehow being worse.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 8:05 AM
If you also have integrated graphics, check if the game might be using it.
The config log in Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs\ should report the GPU that the game uses.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
If you also have integrated graphics, check if the game might be using it.
The config log in Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs\ should report the GPU that the game uses.

My CPU does not have integrated graphics, and on previous hardware configurations I've always set the game to use the high performance GPU and still such lag persisted.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 7:58 PM
UPDATE

I've solved the issue with the help of this guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...G6qfaI6rOs/edit

I've seen this guide before but hadn't tried it since it mainly was described as a fix for pink flashing and crashing, both issues which I had already solved by other methods, but using this to switch the renderer to Vulkan bumped me up from an average 2-5 fps to a much more reasonable 30-60 fps.