Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#27726 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 9:43 AM
Are you using custom curtains that don't have that functionality enabled perhaps? I can't remember if Maxis curtains were all updated, but I know some of my custom ones don't have it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27727 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 10:20 AM
Mad Poster
#27728 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 12:52 PM
The curtains I've been using are not Maxis curtains-they're Honeywell's bespoke curtains, and now I'm officially among the demented.
I think I use MOO to do it with.
I don't have any mods to move paintings or curtains with and in fact that's the first time I've seen that mod.

Now I will go crawl back into the cave and do my penance for being wrong. I might even come back.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27729 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 3:25 PM
Fran, don't worry about it, another 'old' member and I once talked for three weeks in a thread here about how we couldn't find a particular window in Sims 1 any more, and then someone arrived to the thread and pointed out that the window was actually in Sims 3. When you have been playing for a long time like we all have, all the mods and CC merge into one, big, happy, but blurry, memory. :lovestruc:
Mad Poster
#27730 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 6:43 PM
^ Indeed!
When you've played all the games, or at least several of them, or you've played for years with certain mods, it all blends into a soup of things you can not quite remember accurately - if it's basegame or an EP/SP, what mod it is, or even which game it is. I've on several occasions had to look up things before posting something I could swear was possible in TS2, but it turns out it's a function from either TS3 or TS4. Or it's something I've been used to doing for years, and I'm pretty sure it's unmodded, but it turns out it's a mod (or opposite).

It's even worse when someone says something is possible or not, and your brain blanks out for a moment because you're suddenly not entirely sure, so you have to go ingame to check... Or when you spend a lot of time going through the Wiki to find something you're sure has to be there but it's not, because you're thinking about the wrong game. Been there, done that...
Scholar
#27731 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:25 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but why won't they go to bed? They jump in the bathtub as soon as their hygiene gets the tiniest bit low, but they wait until they're falling over with exhaustion before they go to bed on their own. But if I send them to bed, then they don't autonomously wake up for the carpool or school, and I hate the alarm clock and have banned it from my game. Maybe I should bring it back.
Scholar
#27732 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:45 PM
I find Sims tend to one extreme or the other where eating and sleeping are concerned. Either they go to bed or serve meals when the relevant bar is still 80% full, or they wait until it gets down to about 5% and then start screaming at me - but still don't address the problem themselves even if their bed is free and the fridge is full (and I always play with free will on).

I can't stand the alarm either, so I usually just wake them manually when the bus or carpool arrives. Its arrival drops the game from cheetah speed to turtle speed anyway, so there's time enough, as long as they showered before they went to bed.

I think our Sims just like to annoy us sometimes.
Scholar
#27733 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
I think our Sims just like to annoy us sometimes.

Sometimes?!? I think it's a primary driver of the game.

I've just decided to reinstitute my mandatory bedtimes. I already had 9 p.m. for kids, now it's back to 12 p.m. for teens and 2 a.m. for adults. If they miss the carpool, I guess that's why they have a car (if they have one).

I already have a mandatory rule that adults who are hungry have to serve a meal if there are kids in the house. I don't care if it wastes food.
Mad Poster
#27734 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I'm sure this has been asked before, but why won't they go to bed? They jump in the bathtub as soon as their hygiene gets the tiniest bit low, but they wait until they're falling over with exhaustion before they go to bed on their own. But if I send them to bed, then they don't autonomously wake up for the carpool or school, and I hate the alarm clock and have banned it from my game. Maybe I should bring it back.

Mine go to bed, often when they aren't really tired. That may just be the lazy ones, though.

Mostly sims who don't go to bed until desperation hits are stuck into an activity (sound familiar?). If you've directed them to do something they can't stop autonomously unless certain conditions are met, which vary with the activity - perform music stops when fun is full, so if you're playing buskers try to get their fun down before they go out - so if you've got them doing open-ended activities, it's vital to check back in on their needs occasionally. If you get them the highest energy beds you can afford they can go to bed remarkably late and still get up autonomously at 6:00. The game checks energy at midnight and 6:00 AM, and anyone who's full up will rise on their own then, in plenty of time for the schoolbus and daytime job carpools. But if you send a kid to bed too early, they'll be up at midnight and their schedule will be whacked for the next day, and possibly the next. Community lot visits in the evening are my go-to solution for that; or you can assign them some high-energy-drain activity, stop them when the bar's low enough that "sleep" is an option again, and this usually keeps them from getting into a vicious cycle of sleep deprivation. Wish it were that easy for me.

I could never afford a bedtime because I can't keep track of the clock. I was timeblind in sims long before the quarantine did it to all of us in real life!

If sims were good at managing their time it wouldn't be a life simulation, it'd be a screensaver and none of us would have any fun. They need us, or what's the point?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#27735 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
P.S. I almost forgot! Debug tools were discovered on an old Mac version of the game and it has allowed modders to more easily reverse engineer the source code, and as such, there is a project underway to reimplement the game, rewriting it bottom up to fix some of it's fundamental issues and add features! So the best is definitely yet to come!
Wait, really? Is there more information on this?
Mad Poster
#27736 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 2:21 AM
Well, it's 2:12 a.m. So what on earth am I doing still on the forum? If my Sims are up too late it's usually because I've asked them to do something. Left to their own devices, they tend to go to bed at a sensible time -- unlike me! And if they do sometimes stay up too late on their own accord -- because they've got interested in a chess game or something -- well, with my record, I don't feel I'm in any position to criticise them!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#27737 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 2:50 AM
After Apartment Life, they autonomously go to bed at a certain time of night, regardless of whether or not they are actually tired. I don't remember what their autonomous sleeping habits were before that. Because of that, I have banned beds globally with autonomycontrol and my sims never autonomously go to bed. The logic for getting up is the same regardless of why they went to sleep - they wake up if their energy is full and either they have an interaction in their queue after the sleeping interaction or it is after 6 AM and before midnight. So most sims should automatically get up at 6 AM if they have a decent bed, unless you sent them to bed very late, and if a sim has to get up earlier for work they should get up when the go to work interaction queues, as long as you sent them to bed earlier enough to fill the energy bar before that happens.
Scholar
#27738 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 9:31 AM
Is there some sort of object that serves as a blocker from sims getting their grubby hands on stuff? I'm dealing with a maid who has an obsession with putting a My Little Pony toy into the toy box, making it disappear altogether. I've tried locking the bedroom to household only and putting a block of blocking over it, but the git still barges in and grabs it. I'm not really fussed if it becomes unusable to the toddler, it's more decoration.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#27739 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 1:25 PM
Try putting it on a surface sims wouldn't normally pick something up from, like a display cabinet; or use move objects to put it somewhere it wouldn't normally go that sims can't normally access, like underneath the sewing machine. This may cause her to throw a routing fit, but its worth a try.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#27740 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Is there some sort of object that serves as a blocker from sims getting their grubby hands on stuff? I'm dealing with a maid who has an obsession with putting a My Little Pony toy into the toy box, making it disappear altogether. I've tried locking the bedroom to household only and putting a block of blocking over it, but the git still barges in and grabs it. I'm not really fussed if it becomes unusable to the toddler, it's more decoration.

Or maybe chuck it in someone's inventory just before the maid comes?

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Alchemist
#27741 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 5:04 PM
@Bubblebeam, maybe look at some of AlmightyHat's loose toys, as that was a problem. If I had to guess, though, you could try editing the toy to disable autonomously Putting Toys Away. Hat was active earlier this year, too, so you could try asking about it, if there's a thread on the subject somewhere, or if they remember what they did, etc.

ETA: Omglo, I remember LazyDuchess mentioning it on tumblr; I'd check there or ask him if a link is available.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Alchemist
#27742 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 7:36 PM
Thanks, I found the post. That's very exciting news.
Scholar
#27743 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 8:44 PM
Help please !
And thanks in advance.

I recently made a new Sims 2 folder ; after renaming the current one in My Documents.
When I went into the new hood --the Kat and Kim families were showing in the occupied bin ?
If I recall correctly, they are safe to delete from the bin.

My worry is -- that I'd installed all of the empty stealth hoods, and the K&K families should not be showing up.

So, do I need to go back to the "C"/ Program Files(86)/EA Games ; where the main files are stored -- and reinstall the empty stealth hoods ?
I did go and check the : The Sims 2 Pets/TS Data/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/P001/Characters/
And it showed as empty.

But because I made a new folder in the doc., are the stealth N-hoods now populated ?

When I exited the new Sims 2 folder/game, I checked the characters and they still show the same, as in 65. (N002)

Thanks again for any advice.
I didn't think this question merited a new thread in the "Help" section.
But correct me if I'm wrong and I should go over there and make a new thread.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#27744 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 8:51 PM
I don't believe the occupied lots come in stealth hoods.

Stealth hoods are added as subhoods to each neighborhood, and all their characters are added to the character files for that neighborhood. Every time a new neighborhood is loaded, the available stealth hoods are attached.

The Kim and Kat families aren't part of any hood - stealth or otherwise - until they are removed from the lot bin and placed in a neighborhood. They come from the same place as every other lot in the lot bin, which would be, I think, the lot catalog for the relevant EP? At any rate, you don't need to take any precautions against them generating (unless you get that bug where lots keep duplicating themselves and fill up your lot bin), because they won't be in any neighborhood where you don't choose to put them, and if you don't want them cluttering up the bin you can delete them with no danger to any neighborhood.

Mad Poster
#27745 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 8:53 PM
The Kat and Kim families are not in the stealth hoods. They are not in any neighborhood at all, because they are in the lot bin.
Alchemist
#27746 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tleilaxu3
So, do I need to go back to the "C"/ Program Files(86)/EA Games ; where the main files are stored -- and reinstall the empty stealth hoods ?
I did go and check the : The Sims 2 Pets/TS Data/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/P001/Characters/
And it showed as empty.

I have UC. They are here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\EP4\TSData\Res\UserData\LotCatalog

As others said, they don't hurt anything, but if you want a totally empty game for some reason (as I do) you can just rename that folder. Mine is named LotCatalogDONTLOAD.
Mad Poster
#27747 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:00 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 5th Aug 2021 at 12:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I have UC. They are here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\EP4\TSData\Res\UserData\LotCatalog

As others said, they don't hurt anything, but if you want a totally empty game for some reason (as I do) you can just rename that folder. Mine is named LotCatalogDONTLOAD.
That's interesting. In my early game I had a "Mods not in Use" folder in my My Documents\EA Games\Sims 2 Folder. After a week or two I discovered that the mods were still loading. To stop them loading I had to take them right out of the Sims 2 folder. Evidently "Program Files" works differently.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#27748 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 2:16 AM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 5th Aug 2021 at 2:29 AM.
Ok, thanks everyone !
I had regenerated a new folder last year with my old pc and the K&K families didn't show up in that folder's new N-hood ; so I was a bit surprised.

Edit : Oh, does anyone know what those lots are named ?
The numbers and letters for the K&K lots ?

I'll go and remove them from the sims2 folder in the "C" (86) program files EA/ ; so they don't load every time I start a new folder.
Sorry -- I'd removed them a long time ago from the "C" drive and I've forgotten what the numbers were.
I'm playing from the DVD's and have the Sims 2 Deluxe.

Just went to looks and the Kim family has 5 character files and the Kat fam. has 4, according to the sims fandom link.

So, including the two lots, there should be 11 for just the two families.
There are 15 files total--- do I delete all of them ?

" Inama Nushif "
Alchemist
#27749 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tleilaxu3
Ok, thanks everyone !

There are 15 files total--- do I delete all of them ?

I wouldn't delete them from the install files. I might want them someday. If you just rename the folder, it stops them loading and you don't risk deleting something by mistake.

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
That's interesting. In my early game I had a "Mods not in Use" folder in my My Documents\EA Games\Sims 2 Folder. After a week or two I discovered that the mods were still loading. To stop them loading I had to take them right out of the Sims 2 folder. Evidently "Program Files" works differently.

I suppose that just depends on how the program reading the files is set up to look for them. I vaguely recall some files where it was not enough to rename folders. I zipped those up instead.
Scholar
#27750 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@Bubblebeam, maybe look at some of AlmightyHat's loose toys, as that was a problem. If I had to guess, though, you could try editing the toy to disable autonomously Putting Toys Away.

I did take a look at the package, but I guess 'put away' is part of a global since it's not listed under pie menu functions. You gave me another idea though, thanks.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Page 1110 of 1339