Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 11:41 AM
The Hobbit Film confirmed!
Guillermo del Toro will be directing, and Peter Jackson will be writing the screenplay.
It's rumored that Ian Mckellen and Andy Serkis will both be in it as Gandalf and Smeagol/Gollum respectively.
It is unknown who will be playing Bilbo Baggins.
So...are you guys excited about it or what??
Any suggestions who should get the role of who?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th May 2009 at 3:55 PM
Wauw, that fantastic!

actually, the name is camille & this username is very, very old
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th May 2009 at 6:50 PM
I liked a suggestion I heard way back of David Bowie for Thranduil. Too bad he's past the age where that would be possible now, though...

First time I heard the suggestion I was like "WHAT CRACK ARE YOU SMOKING??" and then the more I thought about it, and remembered stuff like Labyrinth I was like... "wow that's actually a genius idea".

So, you know, if this movie was being made like... 15-20 years ago... I'd totally vote "Bowie 4 Thranduil"!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th May 2009 at 2:20 AM
Bowie does seem like a weird choice for the character. Eh, what would I know? :P

Apparently some people want James McAvoy as Bilbo..others want Christian Bale..wtf?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2009 at 3:34 AM
I think David Bowie is a genius idea for Thranduil. He's not necessarily supposed to be that young. Some of the elves in LOTR (e.g., Elrond) didn't look that young...and he does have that long, lean look!! I think he'd be great.

As far as Bilbo, I don't know...in the book he's pretty old, tho' hobbits don't look it and they made Frodo look pretty young. But Christian Bale....no way!!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th May 2009 at 7:53 AM
I know aye?!
I dislike Christian Bale a great deal..
I think it would be best maybe if Ian Holm played Bilbo again. They could just put special make up on him so he appears younger?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:42 PM
David Bowie has matured gracefully, imho. If you haven't seen his "Nikola Tesla" in the movie, The Prestige, check it out.

On another note...wonder if they could fit Hugh Jackman somewhere in the story. That man has amazing talent.

But as for Bilbo and the 13 dwarves? Eeek! That's a tough one!

"Wolves are not just wild dogs. Rather, dogs are domesticated wolves."
~L. David Mech; The Way Of The Wolf~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by straightroad
I know aye?!
Holm played Bilbo again. They could just put special make up on him so he appears younger?

I agree, that would be best because he nailed Bilbo in the LOTR movies. But it will be a hoot to see them try to cast - what - 13 dwarves!!! LOL
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quick question here: What about Elrond? Has anyone heard if Hugo Weaving has been approached to reprise the part?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 7:29 AM
Oooooh, I don't know! But who else could play him?!

Also one thing, in the prologue bit of FOTR where Galadriel was talking about the history of the ring, in the flashback there was a young Bilbo. Was he played by Ian Holm?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by straightroad
Also one thing, in the prologue bit of FOTR where Galadriel was talking about the history of the ring, in the flashback there was a young Bilbo. Was he played by Ian Holm?

Yes, that was Ian Holm. He said they used tape to pull the wrinkles out of his face. He's too old at this point to reprise the role, but according to one source I just read, he'll be doing some narrative. If you want to read the entire article, you can find it at this link:
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/...play-bilbo.html

Now...here's an interesting thought for Thorin Oakenshield. I would not have even considered it had I not seen an artist's sketch. Sean Connery! Check out the art to see for yourself!

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modu...&orderby=titleA

Personally, I like it! *g*

Pax,
CTherese

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 2:59 AM
Sean Connery does seem like a really good choice actually, although I admit I can't help think of James Bond when I see him. :P

Too bad about Holm being to old to play Bilbo I thought he was really great as him.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:20 AM
"Sir Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis will all be appearing in the new film version of The Hobbit, director Guillermo del Toro has confirmed."

This was on Windows Live Today - Bit of news you were looking for =)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:12 PM
Hugo Weaving! Yay!!!! Thanks for the update! *vbg*

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:01 PM
Yeah I'm happy about it too! He was a very good elf ^.^
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:02 AM
OH MY GOD. Yesss! Elrond!
I'm not surprised that McKellan and Serkis are in it...
how could they EVER make a film of the Hobbit without Ian as Gandalf and Andy as Gollum?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 11:02 AM
Yeah I totally agree, they couldn't have been casted better!....*wanders off and giggles about Gandalf's Nike's.....*
Test Subject
#18 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 11:42 PM
Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom will be in it too! ;D Can't wait!
Inventor
#19 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 10:14 AM
Oh, I can't wait for this movie to come out, and seemingly we get two parts aswell? And more Legolas!! Damn. Why do we have to wait? Hahaha..
I love how so many of the actors reappears in the movie. And with Jackson as the director again we'll probably get the same feeling of watching it as we did with the LOTR trilogy. And Martin Freeman is genius. He's a funny guy, such as Bilbo was
Banned
#20 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 10:28 PM
yer but when is it coming out in cinemas and is it going to de in 3D?
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 9:03 AM
The hoddit is due to come out in cinemas on the 14th of december this year. From what I have seen on trailers the film looks awesome, now all we need is to wait until it comes out.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn