Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 1:37 PM
Getting clean lace textures
Hi,

I am currently working at a lace underwear collection for my female Sims. I used one of the standard basegame bras as a base for recoloring. Unfortunately I can't get a clear lace texture on my bras. All the lace textures I found have a way higher resolution and become incredibly blurry after downscaling. I've tried so far with clean pictures of lace bras and continued experimenting with various photoshop patterns or brushes I found online. Always the same problem:

Do you have any tips for me how I can fix this? Can I somehow enhance the resolution of my texture so I don't have to scale my lace patterns down that much? Or do you know any ways or resources where I can get a smaller lace texture so I don't have to downscale that much? I have seen way cleaner lace outfits on this website so it has to be possible somehow... Please remember that this is still work in progress and a lot of other stuff is not cleaned up already
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 9:52 PM
Make sure the texture you end up with in Bodyshop (in the Project folder) is 1024x1024 in size. Kinda looks to me like it's maybe shrunk down to 512x512 which would make it blurry.
If so, here's how to fix it: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...y_Shop_Projects
Or here, with pictures: https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Bo...s-in-The-Sims-2

You can't use larger textures than 1024x1024, but you can try to import it as a PNG in SImPE, using the Nvidia DDS tool, with DXT5. It doesn't compress the alpha channel (the black and white part that decides what shows and doesn't show) as much as Bodyshop often does, and is nicer to the texture, too.

If you're using pictures from the net directly as a texture, it helps to find pictures that aren't extremely large. The bigger they are, the more the program is going to pixelate the details. Don't size up - make sure you're only sizing down, and try as best as you can to size down to the size you want in just one go. If you size down the same texture 2-3-4 or more times, the texture becomes more and more blurred.

If you're using brushes, size down the brush, instead of using a large brush and then scaling it down. That often helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Dec 2021 at 12:35 PM Last edited by rgb : 11th Dec 2021 at 12:15 AM.
Thank you so much, you were right! The texture size is 512x512. This explains a lot You saved me plenty of time figuring that out!!

Edit: Just for comparison a first quick and dirty version of the bra. Still work in progress and plenty of details to clean up, but the difference to the 512x512 texture is immense! I was so close to abandoning this underwear-project and now I feel motivated again, so thanks again
Screenshots