Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 6:54 PM
The Sims 5 In Develpment
Not sure if this has been reported here yet or if this is the correct forum. Now let's hope they don't screw it up. Nothing in the story on what the mechanics are yet, i.e. open world, aging, genetics, etc. But there was some interesting items that I'll quote as well as post the link.
Quote:
Maxis first gave fans a look at The Sims 5 during October 18's Behind The Sims Summit. During the presentation, the team revealed a few minutes of gameplay, focusing on showing off all the features coming to the game's build mode. Whereas former The Sims games have stuck to a grid-based design system, the next game in the series appears to be ditching that in favor of enabling players to place items just about anywhere they desire. Players will also be able to customize items similarly to how they could in The Sims 3. However, this enhanced build mode doesn't stop at merely changing items colors and patterns--players will even be able to adjust the number of cushions that adorn their Sims' couch.
As of right now, the studio has not revealed any details on character customization, how The Sims 5 will look, or its core gameplay. Maxis stated that while the game will stay true to what The Sims has always been, The Sims 5 will evolve how Sims think and behave, as well as provide players with "even more ways to play, tools to encourage creativity, and the ability to tell meaningful stories." In addition, the upcoming game will allow players to play solo or collaborate with others, and will have both cross-play and cross-progression between consoles.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/t...AFK5ESOwhqJFOzc
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 8:05 PM
Direct link to the stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmm6h6bHD3o
I hope they don't make the artstyle anything like Sims 4's!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I hope they don't make the artstyle anything like Sims 4's!

The textures looked more textured. Less like painted scenery. But it is early days yet... Glad they are gonna take feedback during development!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:03 PM
I'm curious to see how they pull off Co-op and cross play. Those would literally be game changers.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
Not sure if this has been reported here yet or if this is the correct forum. Now let's hope they don't screw it up. Nothing in the story on what the mechanics are yet, i.e. open world, aging, genetics, etc. But there was some interesting items that I'll quote as well as post the link.

Interesting point of view & speculation:
Quote: Originally posted by Skeleton
commenting after watching the livestream. Theory - They only did the summit to show Project rene because of some copyright issue with paralives. Copyright laws have alot to do with who did it first. I am willing to place my bets that all this hoopla is not about the fans but about copyright! the company can lose millions if paralives issue them with copyright infringement. this is EA going on the defensive to say. No we didn't just copy paralives!

Quote: Originally posted by Karina K
Working on my masters thesis on IP law, can confirm what you say has a point!

Quote: Originally posted by pxmens
@Joao Lima From what I understood, it's not like "Paralives is no more". The PL Team can continue with their work. However, with EA being transparent about Project Rene, it'll be all about who introduces a brand new feature first.
Notice how the sneak peak only had a colour wheel and pattern swatches like in TS3? There's a possibility that PL already claimed the resizing mechanics, hence why EA may not be able to implant it anymore.

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan Wright
Great point! Pearson even admits that the Sims team has never shared info on a new development years in advance (40:14). They probably felt compelled to do so because of Paralives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apixcPclpx0
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:09 PM
Truth be told I don't care why they did it. I'm just glad it's done. I'm ready to play the game again even if it's going to take me a couple of years to get there.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:13 PM
I'm doubtful that they'll be able to pull off some of the mechanics. Placing pillows where you want? Surely that would clip into Sims or cause strange behavior with animations. I'm not looking forward to Sims 5, because Sims 4 has been such a letdown. I'm not convinced that'll change.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pxmens
Notice how the sneak peak only had a colour wheel and pattern swatches like in TS3? There's a possibility that PL already claimed the resizing mechanics, hence why EA may not be able to implant it anymore.

Is it possible to copywrite (or register in some way) a style of game mechanic? The resizing thing in Paralives is very cool, I would have loved for that to be in a Sims game. The movable windows too! I mean, a colour wheel or picker is something that's in all sorts of games, and resizing things is used in a lot of games too. How does one even go about defining what it is about a feature that's unique?
Alchemist
#9 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:35 PM
I'm a bit in shock ... we waited YEARS for that crappy little presentation about some buy/build mode? The TS3 and even TS4 announcements were so ambitious but this..

Also the graphics look like The Sims 4/Olympus?

what does his name even mean?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Craft90
I'm doubtful that they'll be able to pull off some of the mechanics. Placing pillows where you want? Surely that would clip into Sims or cause strange behavior with animations. I'm not looking forward to Sims 5, because Sims 4 has been such a letdown. I'm not convinced that'll change.

It's been a long time since TS4 was released. But I get what you're saying.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Is it possible to copywrite (or register in some way) a style of game mechanic? The resizing thing in Paralives is very cool, I would have loved for that to be in a Sims game. The movable windows too! I mean, a colour wheel or picker is something that's in all sorts of games, and resizing things is used in a lot of games too. How does one even go about defining what it is about a feature that's unique?

My mind immediately went there as well.

Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I'm a bit in shock ... we waited YEARS for that crappy little presentation about some buy/build mode? The TS3 and even TS4 announcements were so ambitious but this..

Also the graphics look like The Sims 4/Olympus?

It's early in development.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 10:37 PM
I don’t really know what to make of it. I am kinda annoyed that they’re still trying to push multiplayer into the Sims when it has no place there, but at least they’ll be giving us a choice I guess.

Obviously this could easily turn into a “fool me twice” situation, but for the time being, I’ll say that I’m…*very* cautiously optimistic? Sure, let’s go with that.

If anything, this does demonstrate how competition breeds innovation. Paralives has seemed to give EA enough of a spook for them to try and push this out to direct people’s attention elsewhere. Will it actually succeed? Only time will tell, I suppose.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 12:12 AM
I would like to see more about buy/build but am not going to watch all that to find probably very short segment on that, and we will be hearing more. I do like seeing there is a CASt type thing again. And I do like that multi-player is optional and not sole option. So good news in those areas.
Inventor
#13 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 2:00 AM
TS4 is now "free to play" on Steam (DLCs still cost a million, of course). If everybody on this forum swears TS5 is better than TS2 and TS3 combined I might consider buying it. If not, I'll wait until it will be free as well.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by itskatie
I don’t really know what to make of it. I am kinda annoyed that they’re still trying to push multiplayer into the Sims when it has no place there, but at least they’ll be giving us a choice I guess.

Obviously this could easily turn into a “fool me twice” situation, but for the time being, I’ll say that I’m…*very* cautiously optimistic? Sure, let’s go with that.

If anything, this does demonstrate how competition breeds innovation. Paralives has seemed to give EA enough of a spook for them to try and push this out to direct people’s attention elsewhere. Will it actually succeed? Only time will tell, I suppose.

I don't mind a quality multiplayer that doesn't come at the cost of singleplayer, as the Sims has always been a 'social' game, just that its social aspect has been divorced from actual gameplay (with a few tentative attempts to bridge that gap in TS1 and TS3). It should be a no-brainer to be able to be able to take a family of sims to your friends' house, or at least meet up with them at an online social hub.

The bigger issue IMO is the insistence of multiplatform, especially IOS. I see nothing good coming out of that, and mobile potentially acting as a chain around TS5's leg.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The bigger issue IMO is the insistence of multiplatform, especially IOS. I see nothing good coming out of that, and mobile potentially acting as a chain around TS5's leg.

This definitely has me concerned as well. I see mobile compatibility as a hindrance to the game’s complexity/graphics. Unless the mobile version has certain features removed or other modifications (which I don’t see happening seeing as they said it’ll be the same experience regardless of the device), I don’t see it working well. I’m all for cross-progression among PC and console releases, but can they please leave mobile out of it when they already have not one, but TWO mobile-exclusive Sims games as it is?

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 4:05 AM
It’s still way too early to make heads or tails of this, but build buy is looking fine. Only fine.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#17 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
It’s still way too early to make heads or tails of this, but build buy is looking fine. Only fine.

I would of hoped they would of started with the gameplay, and if that's a winner then start build/buy options.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 8:14 AM
I don't trust the quality of the simulation or the game itself at all, but I am curious.
Scholar
#19 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 10:43 AM
I wonder how co-op will affect mods. If you have co-op gameplay on official servers, there is no way you can run gameplay mods. And your CC will not be visible by the other player if they don't have it.

And from what I experienced with EA games, I also wonder if the main goal for online gameplay is monetization (which again could be a reason to not allow mods). When sim players can visit other player's houses and see all the shiny new shop items, this is automatically great advertisement for an ingame store.

Anyway, this would be the worst scenario imo. Official servers, no mods, just ingame store. And all the free bugs to go with it (Because no mods to fix them).
dodgy builder
#20 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
I would of hoped they would of started with the gameplay, and if that's a winner then start build/buy options.

They need an environment for gameplay and animations takes longer time to make, unless they just reuse of course. A professional modeller only takes a couple of hours to model a table.

Quote: Originally posted by Craft90

They are using Unreal and it looked very unreal to me, almost like the viewport The pillow should have a collision box so clipping shouldn't happen, but sometimes clipping happens because the decorator wants the pillow to be just there.

It's looking very low poly and low texture resolution, but with all the expansions they know will come, it's going to be like that.

Oh yes and I love the changing of patterns and textures.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 11:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
I wonder how co-op will affect mods. If you have co-op gameplay on official servers, there is no way you can run gameplay mods. And your CC will not be visible by the other player if they don't have it.

Well they are doing this for Sims 4:
https://thesims4.curseforge.com/
So if they implement something like that for Sims 5 then they can control content to a subscriber base.
And if simmers choose to add mods manually then they could block online features, in the same way that Steam can block achievements for modded games. Of course there are ways around all this...
Mad Poster
#22 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 1:11 PM
Tbh, I would prefer for The Sims to maintain its grid based design, as it’s so “The Sims.” Anything else feels like a routing nightmare.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#23 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 1:36 PM
I guess TS5 will be great for kids, especially since they love playing mobile games more-so than console and desktop games.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 6:00 PM
I wonder, if this is an attempt to get in front of a possible Paralives competition. And if so, it might backfire since more people will also hear about Paralives simply because it's coming up a lot in comments about this announcement. Possibly causing more people to check out the possible competition.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Oct 2022 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
I wonder, if this is an attempt to get in front of a possible Paralives competition. And if so, it might backfire since more people will also hear about Paralives simply because it's coming up a lot in comments about this announcement. Possibly causing more people to check out the possible competition.

You're the second person to mention Paralives. There may be some truth that, but from what I've seen from that game it doesn't look like a Sims killer. TS4 killer maybe, but I think a lot of you have forgotten how old TS4 is. A new game with new technology backed by EA money could make a game that the Paralives team likely couldn't come close to. The question is, will they or will they pull another TS4 debacle? This is all strictly my opinion by the way.
Page 1 of 12