Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 1:48 AM
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Although I should mention that I'm trying to read it, I've not sat down to read for ages (I really only read on long train journeys, these days). Seems like a fun book so far.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 7:29 PM
I'm Reading 'His Dark Materials'
its three books in one.. respectively:
Northern Lights/The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

I am on the last book. :D

edit// Im going to read twilight next with the movie coming out and all, though I hate the writing style ><
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 7:44 PM
Dreamcatcher by Stephen King.
I'm almost finished with it, it took me awhile, I read a couple of book while reading this one a couple of pages at a time, every couple of weeks (wow, that's a lot of couples I wrote) and I'm finally near the end of it :D

"Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow, ride, boldly ride," the shade replied - "if you seek for Eldorado"
#29 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 7:46 PM
Ugh, my inner grammar Nazi is annoyed by all the unnecessary bolding and quotation marks in this thread. Anyway, right now I'm reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 12:08 AM
Finally got around to reading Rant, by Chuck Palahniuk. It's a very scintillating book even if the format is a bit unconventional.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Test Subject
#31 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 12:25 AM
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel.... very good book cant beleive it was written by a woman the style had no hint of femeninity (sp?) ) and rereading Anansi boys too.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written.

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)
#32 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 12:31 AM
I have around...fifty books that I'm reading right now. o___o All at once, which means they're crawling at a snail's pace but you know. I'll only name two.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas (I think) It's a classic so I must read it. So far I really like it but it's definitely different from what I expected.

Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice, my favorite author. It's really amazing, to be honest I was expecting another Belinda (a Lolita-esque book that I thought was pretty lack-luster compared to her other works). If you can handle her writing style (some of the content she writes is kind of mature) I suggest you look some of her books up.

Oh and Rabid, that's exactly why I love Chuck Palahniuk's writing style, it's not like everything else you find on the shelves. Although I admit to being a little disappointed in Fight Club. I don't even have Rant yet, but I'm probably going to hunt it down eventually.
#33 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 8:00 AM
I'm reading "Dracula" by Bram Stoker.

Classic :D
#34 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pushelle
I'm reading "Dracula" by Bram Stoker.

Classic :D

It is, isn't it? I fell in love with it years ago, and it spoilt every other vampire novel for me.

Currently reading Going Postal again, because no one calms me down and cheers me up quite like Terry Pratchett.
Scholar
#35 Old 24th Sep 2008 at 6:00 PM
I'm reading Soul Catcher by Michelle Paver. Kinda a kids book, but I love the series :D
#36 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 7:49 PM
I've just finished New Moon. Part of the Twilight series... I'm totally hooked. :elephant:
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 8:40 PM
i just finished Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.
Last night I finally finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
My Sister's Keeper was an awesome book, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading.

Test Subject
#38 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 8:57 PM
Um, this week? XD So far I've gone through... *looks at titles* Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, and am working my way through The Dispossessed, by Ursula K. LeGuin. Loved loved loved Neverwhere and Ender's Game, but Dispossessed is a bit slower-going so far. >>
Mad Poster
#39 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantom Butterfly
Oh and Rabid, that's exactly why I love Chuck Palahniuk's writing style, it's not like everything else you find on the shelves. Although I admit to being a little disappointed in Fight Club. I don't even have Rant yet, but I'm probably going to hunt it down eventually.

I've read just about everything Palahniuk has ever written, save Rant and Lullaby, so I know exactly what you mean . I find his writing style to be very compelling and absolutely hilarious- he truly is the greatest satirist of his generation, if not THE greatest satirist. I enjoyed Fight Club- had to pick my jaw back up off the floor at the end of the book. What I was disappointed in was the film- come on, would it have been so hard to include the Tyler/Narrator nude beach meeting? I'm liking Rant, though; the format is different from anything he's ever tried, but that's why it's so sublime.

Haven't finished Rant yet, but I never read just one book at a time. On top of that, I'm re-reading Red Earth and Pouring Rain (Vikram Chandra), The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde), Dress Your Family in Corderoy and Denim (David Sedaris... reading this for the first time and loving it), and The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand... first time).

Test Subject
#40 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 12:50 AM
Um...right now? The Other Boleyn Girl (Phillippa Gregory), Brisingr (Chris Paolini), Merlin (Stephen Lawhead), Demon Thief (Darren Shan), and Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt). And I have a whole line of books I want to read...*is overwhelmes*

EDIT: Books I'm on-and-off reading are Philip (sp?) Pullman's The Golden Compass and JRR Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring (I've been on-and-offing that book for about four years...)
Mad Poster
#41 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 12:55 AM
The Lord of the Rings series was so hard for me to read. It took a month for me to get through all three of the books, and that's an incredibly long amount of time for that little reading, for me. I just found them so dry... beautiful story and masterful plot, but the characters never develop and the books are absolutely emotionless. I think Tolkien tends to get carried away, too- the council of Elrond, anyone?

Forum Resident
#42 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 2:33 AM
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay . . . obviously it's the basis for the show, which I only just now started watching since the acting is a bit . . . off. But the book is amazing. I fell in love with Dexter in the first chapter. I can't wait to read the rest in the series.

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

#43 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 3:09 AM
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath -- I've already read it twice before and now am starting a third time on it cause I love it that much.
#44 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 2:28 AM
The tale of Tristan and Isolde - it's such a famous tale and all I know about it is that they fell in love and somebody had to die, so I thought that I should give it a try...

(actually, it's a belorussian version of a tale and Isolde is named Izholda, and Tristan - Trischan. :nod: )
#45 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 3:55 AM
Monsters and Medics by James White. A collection of Sci-Fi short stories. Second Ending is included in this book and it's undoubtebly the best story I've ever read. Look it up if you have no clue (I recommend it to all you Sci-fi lovers)
#46 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 4:42 AM
Right now, I'm reading A Child Called "It" by
Dave Pelzer. This is, I think, my second time
reading it.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 12:15 AM
Right now I'm reading The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan, and I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I'm not very far into either yet, but both look very good!

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook
Instructor
#48 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 10:55 AM
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. I was trying to prove my sister that her books she has to read for school are easier to read than mine. I got hooked after the first page. Yeah, I'm weird.
Also reading a book by a Croatian writer, August Šenoa, which I have to read for school, I only started. -_- Boring as hell.
#49 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 11:37 AM
Ah this thread will be great for some new reading suggestions, I've been re-reading a few books as I've run out of new books to read.

Just read Jane Austen's 'Sense and Sensibility' and am currently reading Margaret Atwood's 'Oryx and Crake' (which i've read before, but the second read through is good also0.
Instructor
#50 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 11:42 AM
I finished Guitar Girl last night.
The ending was appropriate for my depressed mood,
and it's not a bad book!

♣. Call Me Janne .♣
Looking for staff for a new sim magazine (based in S Korea)
Tweet Tumblr Coming Soon
Page 2 of 41