Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2023 at 4:24 AM
Default Are high poly counts still as harmful as they were back in 2009-2012?
I found this thread from over a decade ago where people are saying that the max polycount for hairs is about 6000 for a regular hair. Is that still the case? Because it's been over a decade since that thread was answered and cc hairs on Tumblr are as high as 30k now.

Has modern technology caught up to TS3 to allow people to download that, or is it still advisable to stay under like 10k polys? Like what's the recommended polycount these days?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 1:34 AM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 10th Jan 2023 at 1:34 AM. Reason: tyop typo
I'd say you'd still best stay away from very high poly count stuff unless your purpose is to just make models and pose them (that is, not have he game chug along doing its thing while also rendering such complex things). Computers have indeed moved on, but the game hasn't.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I'd say you'd still best stay away from very high poly count stuff unless your purpose is to just make models and pose them (that is, not have he game chug along doing its thing while also rendering such complex things). Computers have indeed moved on, but the game hasn't.

Yeah fair enough, makes sense. I was just wondering because I downloaded a dozen or so hairs which are about 10k polys each and I’m hoping it doesn’t totally obliterate my game lol.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 10th Jan 2023 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chocoberrychoco
Yeah fair enough, makes sense. I was just wondering because I downloaded a dozen or so hairs which are about 10k polys each and I’m hoping it doesn’t totally obliterate my game lol.

As always, much depends on your machine. A gaming laptop with good graphics card and properly set up, can handle much more than a basic Lenovo ideapad, for example. I currently have more than 580 packages (some merged, some individual test), 3 merged packages with only hair that range from 1.0 to 1.5 GB each... and quite a few higher poly than 10k. Heck, I uploaded a bot body that runs 20k.

The real hard limits are in garments, as polycount can "bleed" over to the next CAS part.

Hairs that can cause issues are ones that the creator made L1 the same as L0, and did not reduce the count for LODs, to account for total polycount for all LODs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
has modern technology somehow upgraded a 10 yr old game to use more than 4gb of ram?

Good point lmaoo
Forum Resident
#7 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 2:24 AM
has modern technology somehow upgraded a 10 yr old game to use more than 4gb of ram?

Me? Never said it has. I do however have a total of 7.5 GB (maybe more, now) in my mods folder, consisting of more than 580 packages... and a few are high poly hairs buried in the 3 merged packages I mentioned... probably TS4 to TS3 conversions.

Also as I said, this bot is over 20k...

Although some rules do not necessarily apply to Plumbots.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#9 Old 11th Jan 2023 at 4:14 PM
I was answering the OP's question "Has modern technology caught up to TS3 to allow people to download that, or is it still advisable to stay under like 10k polys?"

The game is still 32-bit 4GB limit, I don't think modern tech would change that.

I find that to really be a "yes and no" kind of thing. No, the game itself has not changed, other than the patch which got it to 4 GB (RAM)... BUT, when the game came out, the average desktop was far from capable of running even the 32 bit the same way a modern gaming laptop (or desktop) can.

Better processors (much much faster), better video cards, as well as RAM sticks, HDD and SSD certainly is capable of more than a 2009 HP with whatever 266 mhz processor, 2 x 256 mb RAM on Win service pack 2, etc etc etc... crash and burn!!!

Some of the shortfalls were due to computer tech... almost as much as the game (since EA wanted to sell to 32 bit computer owners, even as 64 bit was taking over). So to the OP's question, I do not see relevence in a thread from 2010 in this case.

Best thing to do in this situation is to make sure the resource config is set up for a "TEST" folder, stick the hair in question in that folder, play and see how the game responds.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Jan 2023 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chocoberrychoco

I'd sugest you to edit those hairs in S3PE and change, on the categories, to Not valid for random. I've been doing this in my game since I've spent almost 10 years playing in low end laptops, and this prevents the game to assign those hairs (or any CAS part you wish) to random townies.

To do that, just open the hair package on S3PE, select the CASP resource and then click on the "Grid" button on the bottom. A "Data Grid" box will open, expand the "ClothingCategory" thing, find the "ValidForRandom" value and set it to False.

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bellakenobi
I'd sugest you to edit those hairs in S3PE and change, on the categories, to Not valid for random. I've been doing this in my game since I've spent almost 10 years playing in low end laptops, and this prevents the game to assign those hairs (or any CAS part you wish) to random townies.

To do that, just open the hair package on S3PE, select the CASP resource and then click on the "Grid" button on the bottom. A "Data Grid" box will open, expand the "ClothingCategory" thing, find the "ValidForRandom" value and set it to False.

I'm actually using MaryJane's set of defaults because I want everyone in my town to look better lol. I'm just hoping my attempt to beautify my town doesn't also destroy my PC.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 11th Feb 2023 at 1:41 PM
I got a lot of high polycounts cc for the sims 3 especially CAS Items because I don't find better at the moment, and I am into both alpha and maxis match for this game . I have no problems. I don't play the game for hours.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 11th Feb 2023 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimlishLiars
I got a lot of high polycounts cc for the sims 3 especially CAS Items because I don't find better at the moment, and I am into both alpha and maxis match for this game . I have no problems. I don't play the game for hours.

"alpha and maxis match"? Are those not terms used in TS4???
Scholar
#14 Old 12th Feb 2023 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks

They're used for TS2,3,&4. Did I miss the point of the question?
Forum Resident
#15 Old 12th Feb 2023 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
They're used for TS2,3,&4. Did I miss the point of the question?

Hmmm... Been creating for TS3 for a few years, and had never heard "Maxis match and alpha" terms used for TS3 before... only TS4, when I do conversions of TS4 to TS3. My understanding was that "Maxis match" is the cartoonish looking TS4 stuff, similar to what EA put out, and "alpha" was the more realistic appearing TS4 CC. Learn something new every day.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 19th Feb 2023 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks

I am not a ts3 player only so don't mind if I speak for all. I put my feet on ts4 since 2014, not as much as I am active on ts3 I admit just because this game aww boring so much. I am also a ts2 player when my sims 2 is not so slow at loading.
Then you can use this terms for any sims games I don't know why people only label such for ts4 just because the ts4 only community choose to label cc like that. That's not a nonsense to me (cc spoken)
To me even though it's completely absurd to do a segregation between the simmers who choose the one or the other main style of their worlds, I use both style for my sims 3 and I have to use the high polycount "non maxis aka not converted from ts1 ts2 or ts4, and the future ts5 and not hand made à la Maxis" just because I don't find the equivalent, less high on polycount.

But I don't play a lot of hours with the sims 3. I don't have the time to.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.