Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Homework In Bedroom hack ver 1c

by dizzy2 Posted 8th Jul 2005 at 11:55 AM - Updated 11th Nov 2008 at 5:55 AM by Christy1077

122 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 119 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Test Subject
#26 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:05 PM
Works great. No Uni here.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nick2588
Does this also work for Young Adults at the university? I'm sick of them going to the noisiest, busiest part of the apartment to do their assignments. They insist on the dining room table right next to the people who're eating. They should do the assignments in their bedrooms as well.

No, it does not. That is an entirely different function in a different object.

The problem with making dormies do their homework in their own room is the fact that their rooms are hidden. I don't know how much success I would have trying to make them unhide their rooms and then do their homework (although this sounds like an interesting idea to work on).
Test Subject
#28 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 8:48 PM
Cool thanks, i always hated my kids losing homework.
Test Subject
#29 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 5:51 AM
Default homework fix
yea..good improvement,as I always thought it was not only a bad idea for a sim to do their homework in a random place(like in the middle of a room near the front door)..but is always a hazard :bump:
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 6:39 PM
Does it matter whether you queue another command after you teen/child gets home? I noticed that my teen has been leaving her homework by the door instead of going upstairs to her room. I do try to line up things for her to do while she's at school. I also have the homeworksometimesfasterfun hack and christianlov's npc who does homework for child/teen. Can those maybe cause a conflict?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 7:26 PM
The only that helps if they do that is if you delete their old bed and make sure they are the only one who uses the new bed. I've had to do this a few times for Maxis pre-built houses.
#32 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 2:34 PM
thank you so much! finally no more of having to search all over creation fo find which book belongs to the right kid. you're great!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#33 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 2:40 PM
Does this work ok with reservable beds and/or my global bed reserving hack? Anyone tried it?
Instructor
#34 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 5:14 PM
Inge, this mod works okay with the global bed reserving patch from simlogical.com. Not tested with your reservable beds.
Test Subject
#35 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 4:39 PM
Yes, this is very useful! I HATE it when the kids leave their homework outside on the lawn, or all over the floors in kitchen, dining room, living room Ect. Ect.. and i have to go searching for it to get them to do their homework.
Thank you!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 6:27 PM
Two questions:

1) Can you add/make it a hierarchical search as follows:
  1. If there is a desk in their bedroom, use that one first
  2. If there is a desk in the house with available space, use that one
  3. If there is no available desk space, then place next to bed

2) Any luck on a Uni solution yet? Currently, it seems that sims will seek out desk space first. What I really hate is that stupid dormies have the nerve to barge into my Playable sims rooms and use Those desks first! Which seems obnoxiously rude, especially if they have free desk space in their own frickin rooms! But I suspected that those desks became unusable since their rooms are invisible. I guess all homework has to be done out in the open.

Unfortunately, this means that I have to LOCK my dorm rooms, which I don't really want to do because I sorta like that sometimes other sims might come into my room autonomously. It feels more like college.

Ste

PS. I haven't checked this yet, but if a sims room is locked, and you go inside and try to invite or call over other sims to join you, are the stuck outside or does the invite/call over/ask to join interactions override the lock? I guess I should test this...
Instructor
#37 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 6:34 PM
They're stuck outside. They can also get stuck inside. In one of my dorms the a visiting professor died of exhaustion because the dorm room he had hid himself in got locked by the dormie with him inside.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jordi
They're stuck outside. They can also get stuck inside. In one of my dorms the a visiting professor died of exhaustion because the dorm room he had hid himself in got locked by the dormie with him inside.

And :omg: What a grizzly and gruesome discovery for you to make! Hahah, I had no idea that dormie's could lock their rooms! They do this autonomously I guess? Hrm... too bad sims can't be arrested. Maybe that dormie was behind some kind of conspiracy. Either he/she was attempting to "extort" a better grade out of the professor? Or using the prof for his/her own sexual pleasures and just forgot about him/her. Lol.

Or maybe the plot was more devious. Maybe they were having an affair and the dormie got jealous and intentionally murdered the professor! :evil: Or maybe the professor discovered the dormie was cheating and they tried to shut him/her up and something went terribly wrong.

Well... I guess there's no way you woulda been able to save him, since the room was locked, you wouldn't have been able to go in there. I guess you couldn't hear his/her cries for help. Maybe the prof was stuffed under the bed or behind the dresser with a sock shoved in their mouth. Maybe they just forgot the safety word. :mute:

Ste
Instructor
#39 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:42 PM
It was quite funny actually.

You can actually rescue them: just enable the move_objects on cheat and move them out in build or buy mode. But why should you? Darwinism baby!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#40 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk
1) Can you add/make it a hierarchical search as follows:
  1. If there is a desk in their bedroom, use that one first
  2. If there is a desk in the house with available space, use that one
  3. If there is no available desk space, then place next to bed

I can do the search, but it will likely result in some unseemly race conditions. I'll have to give some thought about how to properly conduct a fallback search.

"If the bedroom search for desk/table fails, find the nearest desk to the bed." Something like this may be more appropriate.

2) Any luck on a Uni solution yet? Currently, it seems that sims will seek out desk space first. What I really hate is that stupid dormies have the nerve to barge into my Playable sims rooms and use Those desks first! Which seems obnoxiously rude, especially if they have free desk space in their own frickin rooms! But I suspected that those desks became unusable since their rooms are invisible. I guess all homework has to be done out in the open.

Haven't looked at Uni homework, although I had a good long look at the Dorm Controller. :P

Bear in mind that dormies may not always have their own desk. Many of them merely have an armoir or they have a computer where their homework would go. Of course, the objects are simply hidden, so it may be possible to easily change the search routine. I'll look into this.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:20 PM
Well this will certainly be useful for me! Thank you for this download!
Scholar
#42 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:53 PM
very cool I love this! thanks so much!
Field Researcher
#43 Old 16th Aug 2005 at 8:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dizzy2
I can do the search, but it will likely result in some unseemly race conditions. I'll have to give some thought about how to properly conduct a fallback search.

"If the bedroom search for desk/table fails, find the nearest desk to the bed." Something like this may be more appropriate.

Any luck on this yet? [/nag] Hehe. Just wonderin'.

One thing I noticed today, and I don't know if this always happens, but I had a sim choose to College.../Do Assignment. I was wondering does this hack or the Dorm Guardian hack force a YA sim to do their homework at the desk in their bedroom? I'm wondering because this sim had a want to influence someone to do his assignment. And this can only be done (at least in my game, and I'm assuming this is "normal" and hopefully not a bug. :P) when the sim chooses to Do Assignment first to create it, and then stops, and THEN influences someone else to do it for them. If I don't Do Assignment first, the option to Influence to Do Assignment does not show up when I click on other sims.

Anyways, the issue I had was, when I chose to Do Assignment and then wanted to cancel, usually the sim sort of stops in their place and puts their assignment on the floor. But this time, the sim went all the way up the stairs to place his assignment on his dorm room desk. He had two queued up actions, one with his face as the icon, which I think was for College.../Do Assignment, possibly it was for him to go to his desk, the second icon was of the the homework/assignment. I cancelled both, and the face one stayed on the queue but was X'd out. He still went to his room to drop his assignment off instead of just dropping it on the floor like some of my other sims.

Is this possibly a personality trait issue? I think he leans towards sloppy, so I would have thought that he would be more likely to drop it on the floor.

As far as I can recall, these are the only homework related hacks that I have which I think are supposed to affect where it is done. I don't think JenFlower's hack affects the location of where homework is done.

Is it just "normal" Maxian behaviour for sims to do their assignments in their room if they have a desk? Because, for the most part, the majority of dormies, and many of my YA's in another dorm I've played, usually did their assignments at the cafeteria tables.

Anyways, just wondering is all. Thanks. :D

Ste
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 16th Aug 2005 at 11:14 AM
Hehe. No progress yet. Lots of distractions right at the moment.

About YA homework, that uses a totally different routine which also makes the person non-interruptible (once they clear the check tree for the object they want to use for "flat surface"). You can only cancel interruptible actions. They made placing homework non-interruptible to avoid having children drop their homework on the ground when they see their Family-aspiring parents arrive at the same time (which generally cancels their queued interactions to go do something annoying like giving them a big hug).

Maxis has a lot of issues leftover from the old homework that they tried to steer around in college, but a few things got left in, I suppose. :P
Test Subject
#45 Old 17th Aug 2005 at 6:12 PM
thanks! it always botheres me when all my kids put their homework into one room when they've all got their own desk in their own rooms.
Test Subject
#46 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:17 PM
Thank you very much for this very usefull work.

I´ve always hated it, when 3 or 4 kids came home, placed their homeworks in the same place and afterwards I had to search wich homework belongs to wich kid.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 6:31 AM
This could be one of the best hacks yet. My student sims drive me absolutly crazy trying to find their homework.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update dizzy! As always, your stuff just keeps getting better and better. :D

Quote: Originally posted by MyriXL
Thank you very much for this very usefull work.

I´ve always hated it, when 3 or 4 kids came home, placed their homeworks in the same place and afterwards I had to search wich homework belongs to wich kid.

Heheh, yeah that was always a pain. This hack definately makes homework tracking much more manageable. But, if you have Pescado's macrostatics, tracking homework down is pretty much a moot point since you can just use Macro.../Do Homework and it should make the kid walk over to their homework and find it for you no matter where it is on the lot.

The trick tho, is that for optimal use, you will need a kickable object, like a gnome or your best bet would be a flamingo. Macrostatics requires kickable objects for the Kick Stuff routine, which is usually called whenever the sims Fun meter is sufficiently low. This is usually checked before doing fun-killing stuff like skilling or homework. And if your lot does not have a kickable object and your sim's fun meter is low, then such actions like Do Homework will just drop out of your queue.

But having an ugly, tacky looking flamingo on your lot is a small price to pay IMHO in order to use some of Pescado's More Awesome stuffeths. :D

Ste
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#49 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 11:42 AM
The trick tho, is that for optimal use, you will need a kickable object, like a gnome or your best bet would be a flamingo. Macrostatics requires kickable objects for the Kick Stuff routine, which is usually called whenever the sims Fun meter is sufficiently low. This is usually checked before doing fun-killing stuff like skilling or homework.

I highly recommend using Pescado's Kick Stuff. It nicely compensates for the horrible stupidity-induced boredom that my sims inevitably suffer. If you have a problem with sims kicking lawn objects repeatedly for an hour or so, your next best bet is to make two of them play Red Hands with each other.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 1:41 PM
dizzy2 in your screenshot where did you get your beds from?!
Page 2 of 5