Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Polgannon - A Complete Story Neighbourhood Whodunnit?

by maxon Posted 21st Aug 2015 at 11:58 PM - Updated 4th May 2022 at 1:18 AM by maxon

169 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 125 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 7
Instructor
#76 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I think that's just an issue with the neighbourhood transfer as the game resets.

Glad you like it @vllygrl - PM me when you know who did it!!

Working on it!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Instructor
#77 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 3:04 AM
I've started trying to solve the mystery and I'm having a blast! This is absolutely amazing, thank you so much!

I do have one question. When I loaded up the Roscarrock house to begin my crime solving, I noticed that Ruan was showing up with the eyes that come with my default skins (as if he'd originally had custom eyes that I then removed, but of course I just loaded up the game and I'm assuming he's supposed to have one of the five default eye colors). I went into SimPE and sure enough his eyes are showing up as some custom string (not one of the default codes). Is this a weird glitch in my game, or am I missing some cc? I downloaded the whole folder that you posted.

I just checked and the code does not match any of my own cc eyes (thankfully I just went through a massive project collecting all of their codes). The code is: 8a175a34-425b-728b-78f2-57b6844f98c4

What color are Ruan's eyes supposed to be? I'll change them to the correct color with SimPE. But I'm curious if anyone else had this happen to them when they opened the hood too, and whether it was the same code or not. Did Ruan ever have custom eyes?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 6:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jojoa777
I've started trying to solve the mystery and I'm having a blast! This is absolutely amazing, thank you so much!

I do have one question. When I loaded up the Roscarrock house to begin my crime solving, I noticed that Ruan was showing up with the eyes that come with my default skins (as if he'd originally had custom eyes that I then removed, but of course I just loaded up the game and I'm assuming he's supposed to have one of the five default eye colors). I went into SimPE and sure enough his eyes are showing up as some custom string (not one of the default codes). Is this a weird glitch in my game, or am I missing some cc? I downloaded the whole folder that you posted.

I just checked and the code does not match any of my own cc eyes (thankfully I just went through a massive project collecting all of their codes). The code is: 8a175a34-425b-728b-78f2-57b6844f98c4

What color are Ruan's eyes supposed to be? I'll change them to the correct color with SimPE. But I'm curious if anyone else had this happen to them when they opened the hood too, and whether it was the same code or not. Did Ruan ever have custom eyes?

@Jojoa777 I didn't use any skin CC except Len and Breoc's outfits. Ruan should have the default brown eyes. As you're adept with CC, you could simply change that back. I've no idea what that string is from. I can check against my own CC but as he's never been in my main game with my regular CC I can't see how he would have got it.

I think you know the brown eye string: 32dee745-b6ce-419f-9e86-ae93802d2682

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 7:32 AM
I put yesterday defaults eyes, skins and faces in my Downloadsfolder and then the same issue happens with these eyes.
There was a wrong code in SimPe, but i´ve forgotten the number.
But it´s strange, it happens only on brown eyes, other sims with green eyes as example, has normal eyes.
I´ve found a tiny Tutorial here on MTS, changing the eyes with SimPe.

Eyes changing in SimPe
I will try these in SimPe.

I had this issue sometimes, when i downloaded an new neighborhood, not only
on Polgannon :-)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#80 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigercat58
I put yesterday defaults eyes, skins and faces in my Downloadsfolder and then the same issue happens with these eyes.
There was a wrong code in SimPe, but i´ve forgotten the number.
But it´s strange, it happens only on brown eyes, other sims with green eyes as example, has normal eyes.
I´ve found a tiny Tutorial here on MTS, changing the eyes with SimPe.

Eyes changing in SimPe
I will try these in SimPe.

I had this issue sometimes, when i downloaded an new neighborhood, not only
on Polgannon :-)

@Tigercat58 - thanks for that information about the issue elsewhere. I don't know why that's happened either. I think it might be another one of those weird things that might happen in neighbourhood transference.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Instructor
#81 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 12:44 AM
Okay, glad to know it's not a big issue and that it's not just my game! I won't have a problem fixing all the brown-eyed sims- it is weird that it's just that eye color!
Instructor
#82 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 1:25 PM
As a final note on the whole eye thing, I noticed that not all brown-eyed sims have the issue (the Cardews with brown eyes didn't require any tinkering in SimPE). Very weird little quirk.

Just want to say that I can't get over what an amazing neighborhood this is, with complex characters and stories! I feel like I really am reading a mystery novel
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 2:38 PM
As a final note on the whole eye thing, I noticed that not all brown-eyed sims have the issue (the Cardews with brown eyes didn't require any tinkering in SimPE). Very weird little quirk.

Just want to say that I can't get over what an amazing neighborhood this is, with complex characters and stories! I feel like I really am reading a mystery novel

Thanks for that @Jojoa777 - it's good to be reassured. I wonder why that happened. There was an awful lot of fiddling about with the files - maybe something went wrong with that character at some point?

Glad you're enjoying it.

Forum Resident
#84 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 2:50 PM
I downloaded the additional families and ran into a few problems with them. They all have different names. I'm playing in German, so that might be the reason, but they all ended up with names like the ones townies usually get. I can fix it with SimPE, but I wanted to make sure that's not a sign for some other problems, especially since Jenifer Grenville ended up with a male name.

There's also some money issues. The Edgcumbes don't have enough money for their designated home, they only have 27.000. The Kestles do have enough money, but the apartment is unfurnished.

edit: Just noticed that not everybody's name is mentioned, so if someone could be so nice and list all the names for the new families? Especially which twin is which? Thanks!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
I downloaded the additional families and ran into a few problems with them. They all have different names. I'm playing in German, so that might be the reason, but they all ended up with names like the ones townies usually get. I can fix it with SimPE, but I wanted to make sure that's not a sign for some other problems, especially since Jenifer Grenville ended up with a male name.

There's also some money issues. The Edgcumbes don't have enough money for their designated home, they only have 27.000. The Kestles do have enough money, but the apartment is unfurnished.

@Ovenhole Oh damn, the language issue again. I forgot for the extra families. I'll correct that and reupload. Thanks for letting me know. I thought the Edgcumbes did have enough but I'll check that too. If you want to rent the apartments as furnished, you need the hack that enables it to appear on the doors. You can do it in Debug Mode also. Here at the wiki.

Instructor
#86 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 3:10 PM
Okay, I know I said it was the last thing about the eyes, but I've been combing through the sims in SimPE to see who got a weird code, and do want to verify that the following sims have brown eyes (so I'm not accidentally giving anyone the wrong eye color):
Leonard Pascoe
Griselda Pascoe
Theodore Pascoe
Cedric Chesney
Karenza Tremain
Cadoc Morgan
Davyth Tremethyk
Marrek Nicholls

Other sims with brown eyes got the right code, so really no clue what was happening there. That's part of why I want to make sure all of these sims actually are brown-eyed, and it didn't affect any sims with other eye colors.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 3:46 PM Last edited by maxon : 27th Aug 2015 at 8:26 PM.
Okay, I know I said it was the last thing about the eyes, but I've been combing through the sims in SimPE to see who got a weird code, and do want to verify that the following sims have brown eyes (so I'm not accidentally giving anyone the wrong eye color):
Leonard Pascoe
Griselda Pascoe
Theodore Pascoe
Cedric Chesney
Karenza Tremain
Cadoc Morgan
Davyth Tremethyk
Marrek Nicholls

Other sims with brown eyes got the right code, so really no clue what was happening there. That's part of why I want to make sure all of these sims actually are brown-eyed, and it didn't affect any sims with other eye colors.

@Jojoa777 - Weird and that implies the fault is systematic in some way and yet it hasn't affected all brown-eyed sims in the neighbourhood. Richard springs to mind though he was one of the last to be made and Abbie (though one of the first) but also Penny isn't on that list and she is a product of CAS with her father and mother when the family was being made. Her mother is blue-eyed but she got her father's brown eyes. The issue doesn't seem to have been at sim creation then. Yes, all those on the list are all brown eyed as far as I remember. You might find the attached file useful. It's all the little portraits for the gossip pictures.

@Ovenhole - I fixed the files I think and will correct the links upthread now. However, if you are able, would you do me a favour and download the files again and check the names are ok? Only if you have time but I can't test it on my machine because my machine and game is English-English and well, there's no issue. What language is your game installed in?

(links removed)

Also the hack I was referring to is here:
http://modthesims.info/d/325824
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Portrait pics.rar (731.8 KB, 21 downloads)

Forum Resident
#88 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 7:44 PM
I redownloaded them and put them in a new Polgannon, but the names are still wrong. :-(
My game is in German. In only looked at one family, but they got townie names again.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 8:28 PM Last edited by maxon : 28th Aug 2015 at 8:52 AM.
@Ovenhole - would it be possible to try it again? If this doesn't work, I don't know what to do and will have to try and research it. Jawusa might know. Or it might be a technique that only works on a whole neighbourhood.

(links removed)

Forum Resident
#90 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 8:09 AM
Still the same problem. The only thing that doesn't change is the pets' last names, probably because the game has no name list for that.

I'll go ahead and rename them with SimPE for now. Could you tell me who's who in the Kestle household? I've figured out the rest.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 8:43 AM
Still the same problem. The only thing that doesn't change is the pets' last names, probably because the game has no name list for that.

I'll go ahead and rename them with SimPE for now. Could you tell me who's who in the Kestle household? I've figured out the rest.

@Overhole - thanks for that. It seems the technique that works for neighbourhoods doesn't work for packed families. Annoying. I'll put a caveat for foreign-language downloaders in the thread and suggest they use SimBlender to change the names. The names of the Kestles are:

Colan (father)
Nonna (mother)
Padern and Kevern (twins - I think Kevern is the one with the glasses)
The dog should be called Molly

Forum Resident
#92 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 11:41 AM
Thanks!

...Why is Molly a guy...?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 3:04 PM
Thanks!

...Why is Molly a guy...?

Oh bloody hell, Molly is supposed to be a girl. I must really have shot my concentration getting the main upload ready.

Also - see the bottom of the download page and thanks for your help.

Lab Assistant
#94 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 12:27 AM
Sorry to bother, but I loaded a new copy of Polgannon without a single piece of cc in the game, and Tamara Cardew still has the "Woohoo 20 different sims" LTW. It's the same one she had in my first copy of the hood. Has anyone else reported this? It *might* be possible my game is on the fritz, but I write-protected the game files, and know all the basic needs of avoiding game corruption... It's been recently reinstalled, too.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 9:19 AM Last edited by maxon : 30th Aug 2015 at 2:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Queen of France
Sorry to bother, but I loaded a new copy of Polgannon without a single piece of cc in the game, and Tamara Cardew still has the "Woohoo 20 different sims" LTW. It's the same one she had in my first copy of the hood. Has anyone else reported this? It *might* be possible my game is on the fritz, but I write-protected the game files, and know all the basic needs of avoiding game corruption... It's been recently reinstalled, too.

No, no-one else has reported that and I did check and she has the 'grow up' aspiration in the version that shipped. The game does do things to the neighbourhood files as it loads and that might be the issue.

@Queen of France - I did a bit more checking. There are 55 SWAFs in the neighbourhood and 53 sims - the two extra are for the Grim Reaper and the Therapist (both universals so no character files for them). This is both correct and reassuring. It means there is no corruption because there are no stray SWAFs hanging around for Tamara to pick up. What does strike me (and I'm no expert in editing LTWs or SWAFs btw) is that some of the children, including Tamara, have LTWs referenced in their SWAFs. Tamara does have that particular LTW reference but then Tegan, Kelyn and Oliver also have information about LTWs listed.

I've uploaded a version of the hood where I've deleted the LTW in Tamara's SWAF here (link removed). If you can, can you download the file and see if that fixes the problem for you (I can't guarantee this won't cause problems for the neighbourhood)? If it does and it plays out well for you, I shall investigate how to update my files on here. It will allow me to correct some other minor errors too.

Field Researcher
#96 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 10:46 PM
I'm loving it so far. The characters have so much depth put into them in order to set up the mystery that they look like they'll be immensely playable even after that's solved. And it's giving me some terrific gardening tips.

I've put in the bonus families, and have a few questions/comments regarding them:

1) Do you have a recommended place in the neighbourhood to put down the 1x1 lot to move each family to the Sim Bin? It being Cornwall, there's not a lot of flat land around. I ended up placing each one in turn on the same square at the end of the road beyond the Golf Course, which bent the road a bit but not too badly.

2) Once the families have moved into their new homes, they start on Monday at 06:00 as usual. I like to keep all my households in step, so I used Neder's Day Setter to switch them to Friday to match everybody else.

3) I found a couple of issues when I moved the Kestle family into 2 Back Lane Cottages, as suggested. Firstly, there's a rug-sized rectangle of carpet missing in the front room. I think Jory may have sneaked in and stolen it while nobody was looking. Secondly, the cottage is a bed short. I had to do a quick rearrangement of the furniture in the smaller bedroom so that the twins could have twin beds.

Minor glitches aside though, it's a terrific neighbourhood.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
I've put in the bonus families, and have a few questions/comments regarding them:

1) Do you have a recommended place in the neighbourhood to put down the 1x1 lot to move each family to the Sim Bin? It being Cornwall, there's not a lot of flat land around. I ended up placing each one in turn on the same square at the end of the road beyond the Golf Course, which bent the road a bit but not too badly.

@muridae - there isn't a place that particularly works but the road at the end of the manor drive (Lanscumbe Road) usually works. There's a sort of flat bit there. I used the 1x1 lots because of this issue.

2) Once the families have moved into their new homes, they start on Monday at 06:00 as usual. I like to keep all my households in step, so I used Neder's Day Setter to switch them to Friday to match everybody else.

You might like to use the Season controller from SimWardrobe as well to set it to the beginning of season 2. I used both of those to synch up the neighbourhood.

3) I found a couple of issues when I moved the Kestle family into 2 Back Lane Cottages, as suggested. Firstly, there's a rug-sized rectangle of carpet missing in the front room. I think Jory may have sneaked in and stolen it while nobody was looking. Secondly, the cottage is a bed short. I had to do a quick rearrangement of the furniture in the smaller bedroom so that the twins could have twin beds.

The missing carpet is possibly because you are missing an SP. It wasn't missing when I tested the Kestles before I uploaded the files.

Regarding the beds: the apartment lots were not specifically built for the families - the whole thing was done the other way round. I made the apartment lots to fit the locale (Polgannon in Cornwall - the whole idea started with the place) and decorated them and then I made the characters to live there rather later. The whole process of making Polgannon took 4 years and the lots were made first and about 70% were completed in the first year though there have been modifications since, the families were done about 2 years ago. The point is that the apartments/lots weren't designed for the families who live there and were just generically decorated with the aim of being playable by whoever you might move in there. I was aware that there was only one bed in the second bedroom of the middle Back Lane cottage but I gave the Kestles enough money to afford to buy another. You will find, if you move families out of apartments and back in, that there are differences to the decor in many of them (if not all) - in some cases, quite big differences.

Lab Assistant
#98 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 5:25 PM
No, no-one else has reported that and I did check and she has the 'grow up' aspiration in the version that shipped. The game does do things to the neighbourhood files as it loads and that might be the issue.

@Queen of France - I did a bit more checking. There are 55 SWAFs in the neighbourhood and 53 sims - the two extra are for the Grim Reaper and the Therapist (both universals so no character files for them). This is both correct and reassuring. It means there is no corruption because there are no stray SWAFs hanging around for Tamara to pick up. What does strike me (and I'm no expert in editing LTWs or SWAFs btw) is that some of the children, including Tamara, have LTWs referenced in their SWAFs. Tamara does have that particular LTW reference but then Tegan, Kelyn and Oliver also have information about LTWs listed.

I've uploaded a version of the hood where I've deleted the LTW in Tamara's SWAF here (link removed). If you can, can you download the file and see if that fixes the problem for you (I can't guarantee this won't cause problems for the neighbourhood)? If it does and it plays out well for you, I shall investigate how to update my files on here. It will allow me to correct some other minor errors too.

The link was removed, unfortunately but if nobody else has reported the problem, and it looks ok in your game, the problem must be on my side. For now I'll just tough it out - I have little time to play, so I probably won't get enough playtime for the corruption to really show. I might try reinstalling the game again once I have the time, and see if that helps. But if you're just curious about this issue, feel free to send me a link via pm, I'll be happy to test the edited version for you!
Field Researcher
#99 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 5:43 PM
@muridae - there isn't a place that particularly works but the road at the end of the manor drive (Lanscumbe Road) usually works. There's a sort of flat bit there. I used the 1x1 lots because of this issue.

I did consider dropping the lots there, but didn't want to wipe out any trees or dent any roads in the most important part of the neighbourhood, And yes, I figured you'd opted for the 1x1 lots to minimise any issues.

Quote:
You might like to use the Season controller from SimWardrobe as well to set it to the beginning of season 2. I used both of those to synch up the neighbourhood.

I use it too. That's actually on my list of things to do today, once I've pulled the Season Controller across from the Downloads folder for my main game.

Quote:
The missing carpet is possibly because you are missing an SP. It wasn't missing when I tested the Kestles before I uploaded the files.

Apologies; that was my mistake. I have all EPs and SPs with the exception of the Store Edition. However, I set up Polgannon in an AGS PermaGame as I wanted to keep its CC separate from my main game as I know there'll be duplicates, and it turned out to be my AGS setup that was the problem. Somehow I managed to leave out half of the Happy Holiday stuff pack.

I now have a fresh copy running with the correct carpet, and anything else that might have quietly disappeared during my original load. I guess it's fortunate for me that you didn't set it to play out over Christmas.

Quote:
Regarding the beds: the apartment lots were not specifically built for the families - the whole thing was done the other way round. I made the apartment lots to fit the locale (Polgannon in Cornwall - the whole idea started with the place) and decorated them and then I made the characters to live there rather later. The whole process of making Polgannon took 4 years and the lots were made first and about 70% were completed in the first year though there have been modifications since, the families were done about 2 years ago. The point is that the apartments/lots weren't designed for the families who live there and were just generically decorated with the aim of being playable by whoever you might move in there. I was aware that there was only one bed in the second bedroom of the middle Back Lane cottage but I gave the Kestles enough money to afford to buy another. You will find, if you move families out of apartments and back in, that there are differences to the decor in many of them (if not all) - in some cases, quite big differences.

And of course, if you don't put a mod in/enter debug mode to rent the cottage furnished, the number of beds becomes academic. In the meantime I have of course already dipped into the Kestles' funds to buy an extra bed and a bowl for Molly.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 6:49 PM
Great @muridae - thanks for the update. I hope you enjoy it.

Page 4 of 7