Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Urn Binding and Summoning

by Iced Cream Posted 11th Feb 2021 at 3:05 PM - Updated 24th Nov 2021 at 1:21 PM by Iced Cream

68 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 47 Feedback Posts, 20 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 3:48 PM
You, sir, just made me so happy.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 3:57 PM
If I place this urn outside will it also turn into a thombstone???
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MNLVLZ
If I place this urn outside will it also turn into a thombstone???

Yes, it will change between urn and tombstone.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 5:46 PM
O.o Nice I'm always Forgetting to Pack up Granny's Urn when my sims Move house. This will come in very useful
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Feb 2021 at 5:04 AM
Will this mark a lot as Modded on the gallery?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Feb 2021 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JungleSim
Will this mark a lot as Modded on the gallery?

No it will not.
The modded urn actually transforms into a base game urn the instant it is placed on a lot, so the game won't automatically mark the lot as modded.
And because it turns into the base game urn, it will also automatically switch between urn and tombstone depending on placement.

Lots with urns placed with this mod are safe to play without the mod installed.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 12th Feb 2021 at 2:26 PM
Love it! Thanks.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 13th Feb 2021 at 1:00 PM Last edited by Gauntlet101010 : 13th Feb 2021 at 6:59 PM.
Great job!

But I notice it's not showing Temperance or Guidry when I go to bind a ghost sim. Any reason?

Edit: Oh, it's because they don't actually have any of the actual ghost traits!
Forum Resident
#10 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 2:08 AM
Any plans to make the missing urn/tombstone interactions available on your urns/tombstones?
I miss release to netherworld and destroy urn.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bienchen83
Any plans to make the missing urn/tombstone interactions available on your urns/tombstones?
I miss release to netherworld and destroy urn.

The urn should have all the available urn interactions.

The destroy interaction is available when no ghost is in the urn. You can use the Undo Binding interaction to empty the urn, then the destroy interaction will be available to delete it.

Release to Netherworld is unavailable if the bound ghost is playable (in a household).
This is a restriction EA put in the interaction to prevent people from accidentally deleting household members if they forget a playable ghost's urn when moving and later move another family to the same lot.
The premade ghosts Captain Whitaker and Felix Psyded cannot be released because they are technically "playable ghosts." They are in their own households and can be moved onto any lot.
Other special townie ghosts may also be technically marked as "playable" and be unable to be released. You would normally never be able to see this issue since they don't spawn with tombstones.
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 5:09 AM
That means this mod prevent the fade away and no longer need to "strengthen connection to physical world" with the ghost urn's ? Sorry if I'm blunt ^^'
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zsuchan
That means this mod prevent the fade away and no longer need to "strengthen connection to physical world" with the ghost urn's ? Sorry if I'm blunt ^^'

No, you will still need to strengthen connection.
The mod makes it easier to strengthen townie ghosts since the game doesn't normally spawn graves for them if they die away from the lot.
You can bind the urn to any dead sim and strengthen their connection.

You can even turn one of the parks into a cemetery and use the mod to fill it with the urns of every ghost, making it easy to strengthen their connections whenever you want.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#14 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 12:03 PM
Just a huge tip, if you have a place where you store urns in the basement and doing the summoning of an Urn, the urn/gravestone will summon on the floor above (ground floor).
Inventor
THANKS POST
#15 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 2:11 AM
Wow!! Thank you! this sounds very useful and interesting.
Test Subject
#16 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 2:40 AM
Are there some deaths missing? I added a death by beetles via cheats and the ghost isn't showing up in the list...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 4:32 AM Last edited by Iced Cream : 16th Feb 2021 at 6:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Gauntlet101010
Are there some deaths missing? I added a death by beetles via cheats and the ghost isn't showing up in the list...

After some investigation, it seems EA neglected to add death by beetles to the game's death tracker tuning (why am I not surprised?).
This can be verified by looking at the module tuning for interactions.utils.death: 03B33DDF-00000000-F0C418208750C4AB
This causes the sims with that death type to not be properly flagged as ghosts and therefore not show up in the selection window.

Rather than spending hours trying to fix EA's mistake, I will simply add extra interactions which will allow the binding of living/non-ghost sims to the urn and the spawning of their urns.
This should not cause any issues as urns bound to living sims are already a common occurrence in the game (resurrected ghosts already leave their graves behind when they come back to life).

The updated mod with new interactions should be released soon.

Edit: The updated mod is now available and, as I expected, sims with the death by beetles trait show up in the selection for living sims because the game doesn't properly flag them as ghosts. Now I wonder what other death types EA neglected to add...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 8:51 AM
thanks, long ago I was looking for a mod of this type to recover the lost tombstones.
a question is the mod compatible with other mods like slide of life or mc command?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladycrayolita
thanks, long ago I was looking for a mod of this type to recover the lost tombstones.
a question is the mod compatible with other mods like slide of life or mc command?

Yes, it should not conflict with any other mods. It uses a script to add interactions to urns, so it does not override any game resources.
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 9:21 PM
Hello. I have the Spanish translation for this mod Do you want it? If yes, where can I send it to you?
Test Subject
#21 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Iced Cream
Edit: The updated mod is now available and, as I expected, sims with the death by beetles trait show up in the selection for living sims because the game doesn't properly flag them as ghosts. Now I wonder what other death types EA neglected to add...

It's less immersive, but it's probably for the best. I mean the beatles and the Paranormal ghosts not showing up in the menu is pretty annoying. But the Night Stalkers do so those two probably should show up. I can't Necrocall the Night Stalkers, Guidry or Temperance either, likely because they aren't listed like you said.

I can say for sure that cowplants don't make fear essences, so they forgot about that too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Josdio
Hello. I have the Spanish translation for this mod Do you want it? If yes, where can I send it to you?

Sure, you can send it in a PM or attach it to a post here and I will include it the next time I update the mod.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 10:00 PM Last edited by wild_guy : 19th Feb 2021 at 12:06 AM.
Great mod, thank you for it!
Just a small suggestion, could you name both mod files the same (I mean remove brackets) just for easier searching in the mods folder?
A small bug I noticed, the hint of the action icon always says 'Bind sim', doesn't matter if I bind a sim or a ghost.

I attached the Russian translation and would be grateful if you include it. Thanks again.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Urn Binding_RU.zip (423 Bytes, 6 downloads)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 19th Feb 2021 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wild_guy
Just a small suggestion, could you name both mod files the same (I mean remove brackets) just for easier searching in the mods folder?.

Sure.

A small bug I noticed, the hint of the action icon always says 'Bind sim', doesn't matter if I bind a sim or a ghost.

That's intentional.
What you're seeing is the continuation interaction which handles the actual binding.
The "ghost" and "living sim" picker interactions trigger the same continuation interaction to do the binding since the desired behavior is identical (store the selected sim).
It keeps the mod as simple as possible and reduces the chance of bugs. And since ghosts are still sims, the text is still technically correct.

I attached the Russian translation and would be grateful if you include it. Thanks again.

Thank you. I will include it in the next update and will credit you.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 20th Feb 2021 at 9:38 AM Last edited by wild_guy : 20th Feb 2021 at 9:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Iced Cream
And since ghosts are still sims, the text is still technically correct.

Agreed, thank you. And thanks for the update!
Page 1 of 3