Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim Shadow Fix (updated 2 Jan '16)

by Nopke Posted 30th Dec 2015 at 11:14 AM - Updated 7th Dec 2023 at 7:40 PM by Nopke

187 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 55 Feedback Posts, 131 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 8
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#26 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 8:52 PM
I play a lot of games and am used to fooling around with various settings to get things like I want them. So, when I got a new computer last Christmas, I figured out how to correct the shadow problem. Idiot that I am, it never dawned on me to share the info. I'm glad to see that you have more sense than me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator THANKS POST
#27 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 9:25 PM
Thank you for posting it here as well, I couldn't tell from the small pictures on your blog and grabbed v4 but it's actually v 2 that I am after.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 9:39 PM
Brilliant, thank you!

Sim Fans UK - Free downloads, tutorials, game help and chat!

I'm selling my vBulletin 4 suite - please contact me if you are interested in buying it.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#29 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 1:04 AM
Spectacular. Thanks for putting this together and sharing it with the rest of us!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#30 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 1:18 AM
Thank you so, so, so much!
Forum Resident
#32 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 4:15 AM Last edited by lorinsv60 : 2nd Aug 2017 at 5:26 AM.
Here are my shadows using the "0.3notMisty" version:

A close-up, along with my graphic options settings, in case you can spot any errors:

Thank you for your efforts, I really appreciate it!

Build a City Challenge on LiveJournal: Mesa Vista: my BaCC for fun
Mesa Vista Running list of chapters
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 5:20 AM
Thank you!!! I've had to go shadowless for months because of the black rectangles. This works perfect! I'm so glad to have the shadows back. THANKS!!!!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#34 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:13 AM
I am grateful to see this, Thank you very much. Now I can see what the shadows really look like.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#35 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:23 AM
As soon as I saw this on tumblr, I screamed for joy.

Thank you so much.
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Btw, just curious, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 - which one is the closest to the original?
I think 0.4.

@lorinsv60, http://simfileshare.net/download/40975/ – and this…? What graphics card do you have?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 8:36 AM
merci
Site Helper
THANKS POST
#38 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 2:18 PM
Thank you. It was a bit disconcerting the first time I saw a kicky-bag shadow without the sim shadows. (I thought for a moment that I had roaches.)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 2:25 PM
THIS IS WONDERFUL! HAPPY NEW YEAR :D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#40 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 2:59 PM
This is awesome, thank you!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#41 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 4:32 PM
*a single tear of joy rolls down cheek*
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#42 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 5:17 PM
Thank You So Much
Test Subject
#43 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:26 PM
While it's nice that you're trying to help people, this forum post actually gives you an easy way to fix the problem. Basically the reason you get the black boxes is because of sims 2 not recognizing modern graphics cards.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#44 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:36 PM
This is a much needed fix. It will be nice to turn on sim shadows again!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 10:42 PM
This is EVERYTHING! I had shadow problems before this Ultimate Version, and I tested this. And worked. Saved my gameplays.... and my days... THANK YOU so much for this.
I used the 2 version. So subtle.... and cute.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodravenD
While it's nice that you're trying to help people, this forum post actually gives you an easy way to fix the problem. Basically the reason you get the black boxes is because of sims 2 not recognizing modern graphics cards.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

Uh, actually this does help, that post on leefish only says to turn the shadows down to medium; it doesn't actually "fix" anything it just mitigates the box problem. This fix gets rid of the boxes and restores the shadows under sims.

I am so relieved to finally have shadows back!
Test Subject
#47 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by intransitmatt
Uh, actually this does help, that post on leefish only says to turn the shadows down to medium; it doesn't actually "fix" anything it just mitigates the box problem. This fix gets rid of the boxes and restores the shadows under sims.

I am so relieved to finally have shadows back!

Actually it says more than that, you must have just skimmed over it. If you download and replace the graphicsrules.sgr in the post, it'll fix the issue with shadows being messed up. The reason shadows are wonky in sims 2 is because it doesn't correctly detect modern graphics cards, so it thinks you're playing on integrated graphics. This fix updates the graohics cards that sims 2 can detect, so you're given the correct graphic options.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#48 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 2:26 PM
My shadows are back! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#49 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 6:46 PM Last edited by jerryking : 1st Jan 2016 at 7:50 PM.
Thanks, I hope this works. No thanks to Maxis and Nvidia for not caring to fix this issue.
EDIT: OMG It works. Great job, thank you so much.
Since any Nividia drivers above 320.49 will not work for Sims2 Shadows, and any Gforce card above 550 require newer drivers; now I can upgrade to a much better video card. I have already upgraded my drivers to the latest Nvidia drivers for my GT430 card.

This is the best Christmas present ever! I can't thank you enough!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#50 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 8:12 PM
Thank you so much. I was just getting ready to edit the config file but I miss shadows. :(
Page 2 of 8