Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim Shadow Fix (updated 2 Jan '16)

by Nopke Posted 30th Dec 2015 at 11:14 AM - Updated 7th Dec 2023 at 7:40 PM by Nopke

187 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 55 Feedback Posts, 131 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 8
Forum Resident
#51 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 1:12 AM Last edited by lorinsv60 : 2nd Aug 2017 at 5:38 AM.
Thank you, Nopke, the "0.3reallyNotMisty" works! Sim shadows appear just slightly darker than object shadows, but I'm super happy with this!

I'm using Intel HD Graphics 4000.
More info on my graphics, if you think it might help:

A couple more pics:

Thank you again!

Build a City Challenge on LiveJournal: Mesa Vista: my BaCC for fun
Mesa Vista Running list of chapters
Instructor
Original Poster
#52 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodravenD
If you download and replace the graphicsrules.sgr in the post, it'll fix the issue with shadows being messed up.
Many modern graphics cards' drivers just interpret shadows' shader code differently than intended and this is the reason of black rectangles. Changes done in GraphicsRules.sgr may solve many problems, but they won't fix sims' shadows, because what this file does is adjusting the game to GPU.

Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
Thank you, Nopke, the "0.3reallyNotMisty" works! Sim shadows appear just slightly darker than object shadows, but I'm super happy with this!
Great! 0.2reallyNotMisty and 0.4reallyNotMisty will be available to download soon.

Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
Later I found a way to switch to the AMD Radeon, but I got weird results with it, and since I was satisfied with what I had with the Intel HD, I haven't bothered with trying to solve my AMD problem.
I'm using AMD Radeon HD 7670M. I have replaced GraphicsRules.sgr with Kiri's Radeon version of this file, turned off in-game anti-aliasing and changed graphics card's settings for TS2, using AMD Catalyst Control Center, in this way:
I am satisfied, although supersampling sometimes slows down the game. You can use multisampling, but transparent textures won't be smooth at times. If you decide to try, let me know if you succeed.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
Great! 0.2reallyNotMisty and 0.4reallyNotMisty will be available to download soon.

I'm using AMD Radeon HD 7670M. I have replaced GraphicsRules.sgr with Kiri's Radeon version of this file, turned off in-game anti-aliasing and changed graphics card's settings for TS2, using AMD Catalyst Control Center, in this way:
I am satisfied, although supersampling sometimes slows down the game. You can use multisampling, but transparent textures won't be smooth at times. If you decide to try, let me know if you succeed.

Wonderful, and thanks for the AMD tip! I will try it in the next month or so and let you know how it goes.

Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#54 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 8:07 PM
YAAAAAY! Thank you SO much for fixing my game!! Never thought I'd see sim shadows again. Now I don't have to switch between the settings when filming outside and inside in sims ^^
Test Subject
#55 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 2:53 PM
Very awesome.. so nice to have shadows in the game... Excellent mod.. ty very much.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#56 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 8:55 PM
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS. I didn't even know it's possible to fix that. Those black rectangles have been under my sims for one and a half years.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#57 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 9:40 PM
Am just getting back into playing TS2 after a few years away, and this will be great for screenshots and story pictures!

Thank You so much :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#58 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 2:44 AM
This is awesome. I suddenly have the urge to dust off my sims 2 files and play again :D thanks a bunch
Forum Resident
#59 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 3:36 AM Last edited by lorinsv60 : 2nd Aug 2017 at 5:22 AM.
I couldn't resist one last picture (it was a big day in more ways than one):

I chose the 0.2reallyNotMisty, and I couldn't be more pleased!
( She had a girl)

Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#60 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 4:47 AM
@lorinsv60 I didn't know TS2 could be played on Intel cards... That's awesome! Just wondering, what are your laptop's other specs? If an Intel can play TS2 then your CPU, RAM, etc. must be pretty spiffy.
Forum Resident
#61 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
@lorinsv60 I didn't know TS2 could be played on Intel cards... That's awesome! Just wondering, what are your laptop's other specs? If an Intel can play TS2 then your CPU, RAM, etc. must be pretty spiffy.

I didn't either until Kiri told me over at Leefish, "the INTEL graphics card is actually quite sufficient for you." (Source)

I would consider my specs mid-range (i5-3230M @ 2.60 GHz processor and 8 GB RAM), and they do work well for TS2, though I experience lag when the head witches show up at community lots.

Née whiterider
retired moderator THANKS POST
#62 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 9:40 PM
This is fantastic work! I'm really curious as to how you did it - might have to crack open the files later.

@AmandieLove Intel graphics haven't historically been suitable for TS2, but the 4000 series is a big step up from previous Intel graphics and is easily good enough, which is great because it means more people can afford a laptop that can play the game.
Theorist
THANKS POST
#63 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 5:58 PM
Thank you so much!! Just started playing my TS2 again and noticed them a week or so ago. Glad you made a fix for it. Thank you so much
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#64 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 6:54 PM
Holy crap! I kinda stopped playing when my new computer stopped being able to display shadows! You're the best!
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 11:40 PM
Awesome! I tried the regular version, but got the misty shadows, so I switched and now I'm only getting some shadow on certain floors - on the Polished Dark Bamboo floor, I'm only seeing my Sims' hands shadows when he's dancing, but otherwise nothing. But it's a minor issue, and I love this mod! (BTW, My card is Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB and I'm playing on a Mac)
Field Researcher
#66 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodravenD
Actually it says more than that, you must have just skimmed over it. If you download and replace the graphicsrules.sgr in the post, it'll fix the issue with shadows being messed up. The reason shadows are wonky in sims 2 is because it doesn't correctly detect modern graphics cards, so it thinks you're playing on integrated graphics. This fix updates the graohics cards that sims 2 can detect, so you're given the correct graphic options.

The shadows are not fixed - turning the shadows down to medium turns the Sims Shadows OFF. Updates in the graphics drivers means that the shadows don't work properly. What Nopke has done is fix that so the Sim Shadows can be on.

Fortunately, Nopke has worked out how to fix them. With Nopke's permission I will be including a link to this download for people to get a true fix for shadows.

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#67 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRVMIZu5AE
I recorded a highlight on my channel, and mentioned this work. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#68 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:51 PM
Oh wow. Somebody thought of it. Thank you!!! :D
Theorist
#69 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 4:36 PM
I thought I had to play without sims shadows forever. I've build a new machi
Thanks to your mod I can enjoy sims shadows again so thank you for your hard work. I just did a quick trial and I'm quite happy with the result.
I had to edit my Graphic Rules files before using the mod. I have an AMD RADEON R7 360 2GB.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#70 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 1:30 PM Last edited by SimsProductions : 10th Jan 2016 at 1:31 PM. Reason: I messed upppp
It's kinda sad how EA didn't fix this, a very talented modder had to do their job for them. Good work
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#71 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 3:16 PM
Thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#72 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 11:24 PM
Thank you! I'm so glad my sims have shadows again!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#73 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 1:38 AM
I love this. Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#74 Old 15th Jan 2016 at 6:38 PM
This had been bugging me for a long time until you fixed it, you are an angel! bless your soul!
Scholar
#75 Old 16th Jan 2016 at 11:31 AM
I had something like this happen when I updated my graphics driver on my old PC. I was using a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS card at the time. The only way to fix it was to revert to my older driver. I'm now using a laptop with shadows turned off, but I shall try using this mod. Thanks.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Page 3 of 8