Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim Shadow Fix (updated 2 Jan '16)

by Nopke Posted 30th Dec 2015 at 11:14 AM - Updated 7th Dec 2023 at 7:40 PM by Nopke

187 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 55 Feedback Posts, 131 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 8
Test Subject
#151 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 7:40 PM
Default Not Working...
I've got the Sims 2 double deluxe, so my most recent EP file is EP99, I've got the v4.0 reallynotmisty file in D:\Electronic Arts\The Sims 2\EP99\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins, where I'm pretty sure it should be, but I still have block shadows. Any tips? Thanks!
Test Subject
#152 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 12:34 PM
Try this!
In the graphics rules, he said to make sure the high boolprop simshadows setting is true. I changed it to false and have my shadows in game turned off completely and the box is finally gone. I got the game as a download from the internet and after following a guide to make it so my screen resolution was better than 800 × 600 i had this box issue. Been struggling with it the last few days, i tried downloading this mod and putting it in every folder i could just to see if I could get it to work. I did not delete this mod after doing the steps i mentioned so you shouldn't have to either, i hope this helps and works for you!
Instructor
Original Poster
#153 Old 5th May 2019 at 5:36 PM
@Bacca_Boi_ I think this mod will work once you move it to the Downloads folder. It does not work in the Bins folder because the content of that folder loads before the original game shaders. You can also try putting the mod in [Your latest EP folder]\TSData\Res\Materials. (I should add custom install instructions…)
@pzuko89 Once you turn the shadows off, this mod does not work at all. You just cannot see black rectangles because the game doesn't even try to create shadows.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#154 Old 25th May 2019 at 8:09 PM
I especially appreciate how much detail you added to the description so we would know precisely which file to download. If you are still monitoring this item, you might consider adding a small detail for owners of The Ultimate Collection since the "downloads" folder must be created by the player before installing your (or any) mod. Thanks again!
Test Subject
#155 Old 10th Sep 2019 at 9:14 AM
Default Square Shadow Fix
Thank you so much for the mod. I was worried about the graphics of the game.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#156 Old 13th Nov 2019 at 12:52 PM
Thank you so much! <3
Forum Resident
#157 Old 28th Jan 2020 at 8:47 PM
What am I doing wrong? I've downloaded the zip file but there is only a pdf inside which can't be read. Can anybody help?
Instructor
Original Poster
#158 Old 29th Jan 2020 at 2:36 PM
@Diovanlestat Which zip file have you downloaded? What program are you using to open zip files?
Lab Assistant
#159 Old 29th Jan 2020 at 11:34 PM
Dear Nopke,
I have a modern graphics card (Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB) and changed my default resolution to 1920x1080 in the GraphicRules.sgr. Black squared shadows appear and your mod doesn't seem to work. I tried version 0.3 and 0.4. I also changed the coding as you said. I put the mod file in the Bins folder of the latest installed expansion pack and then in the Materials folder, none of those work. The squared shadows only appear when Sims are inside of their house and disappear as soon as they walk outside. All of my settings are on High. I also tried it on Medium and Low settings, no difference. I hope you can help me!
Thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#160 Old 30th Jan 2020 at 8:23 AM
@Pomerani I have to change the install instructions eventually… Have you tried to put the mod in Downloads folder in Documents/The Sims 2 or Documents/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection? (depending on the version of your game) If such a folder does not exist, just create it.
Lab Assistant
#161 Old 31st Jan 2020 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
@Pomerani I have to change the install instructions eventually… Have you tried to put the mod in Downloads folder in Documents/The Sims 2 or Documents/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection? (depending on the version of your game) If such a folder does not exist, just create it.

I created a folder named Downloads in the The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder and put the mod here, but it didn't work. I still see the block shadows. I don't know if it matters, but I have a downloaded version of the game. I put my regular CC in the Bins folder (The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection > The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff > TSData > Res > Catalog > Bins).
Instructor
Original Poster
#162 Old 31st Jan 2020 at 5:26 PM
@Pomerani This mod probably won't work in the Bins folder anyway. Have you tried to use the reallyNotMisty version?
Lab Assistant
#163 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 12:33 PM Last edited by Pomerani : 2nd Feb 2020 at 1:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
@Pomerani This mod probably won't work in the Bins folder anyway. Have you tried to use the reallyNotMisty version?

I tried this. Still nothing.

EDIT: It's fixed. I finally found the right location to install all of my downloads. It's located in User > Documents > EA Games > Sims 2 > Downloads. I had trouble, since I am using two hard drives and it turned out it also installed something on my SSD, not only my HDD. Thanks!
Test Subject
#164 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by slcd
I especially appreciate how much detail you added to the description so we would know precisely which file to download. If you are still monitoring this item, you might consider adding a small detail for owners of The Ultimate Collection since the "downloads" folder must be created by the player before installing your (or any) mod. Thanks again!

Hey, where do i have to create the folder "Downloads"? on the main folder of The Ultimate Collection? or somewhere else?
Thanks in advance
Instructor
Original Poster
#165 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 8:16 AM
@Rosskow I updated install instructions some time ago. You have to create a Downloads folder in Documents\The Sims™2 Ultimate Collection\.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#166 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 9:12 PM
A must-have fix, thank you for sharing!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#167 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 4:56 PM
Thank you! Great fix.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#168 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 3:14 PM
Thank you sooooooo much! Great fix, works beautifully! Those black squares were really annoying.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#169 Old 10th Feb 2021 at 5:16 PM
Thank you so very much! :) I received a new computer this weekend and getting the Sims2 to run has been a bit of an adventure. It is heartwarming to know there are talented people out there who share their time and knowledge to help others with something that many would say "so what" at.

After loading the program through Origin I had to change screen resolution. The shadow box was ? "highlighted" so that I could not change options (though it did show I had high resolution set). The settings in Config were correct. - This mod fixed my game and those boxes are gone. :D Thanks again!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#170 Old 2nd Apr 2021 at 1:52 AM
Tks
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#171 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 1:03 PM
Thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#172 Old 19th Dec 2021 at 10:24 PM
I'm so glad you have this fix, I have had troubles with the square shadow, now you have the fix, and I won't have to take the game off computer and re-install, thanks so much
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#173 Old 30th Dec 2021 at 9:48 PM
This is amazing! However, I'm really curious what causes these black squares? I have a Windows 7 machine with Sims 2 on it, and it appeared on a Nvidia 8800GT and also on my GTX 285 and those aren't really ''modern'' lol.
Test Subject
#174 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 12:04 PM
Can't get over what a lifesaver this mod is nowadays.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#175 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 12:42 AM
thank you so much!!!
Page 7 of 8