Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2020 at 7:54 PM
Default How do i change the model of a mod item?
I love this mod by Mootilda, and i use it often on community lots to keep businesses lit 24/7. The issue is that its a huge blue box that cannot be hidden easily. Is there a tutorial or an easy way for me to change the model into anything else (such as a plant or a lamp) ?

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th May 2020 at 9:50 PM
You can replace the mesh and texture with something else, pretty much the same way you'd change them on another object (if the object has a GMDC and TXTR resource, that is). You can for instance shrink the box down or replace it entirely. I'd think it would be more practical to shrink it down, as it has useful textures (on/off state).

There's also a way to link items to ingame objects, but I've never done that. I think it's roughly the same method people use to for instance change the look of the batbox or other modded items that draw their visual look from ingame items.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 18th May 2020 at 7:08 PM
If you open the file, choose the str Object Model and change the string set to an in game one.  To find it, clone whatever model you'd like to use, make sure to have all boxes unchecked in object workshhop.  Although you could alternatively create an invisible recolor. 
Scholar
#4 Old 19th May 2020 at 2:11 PM
What for? You don't need to keep it on the lot, it only turns the lights on when you first place it, after that it does nothing you should just place it on the lot then delete it.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#5 Old 19th May 2020 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
What for? You don't need to keep it on the lot, it only turns the lights on when you first place it, after that it does nothing you should just place it on the lot then delete it.

I thought this too, but they said if left on the lot the lights stay on 24/7?
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th May 2020 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
If you open the file, choose the str Object Model and change the string set to an in game one.  To find it, clone whatever model you'd like to use, make sure to have all boxes unchecked in object workshhop.  Although you could alternatively create an invisible recolor. 

I couldnt make an invisible reocolor because i couldnt find the stdmatalphablendmode and stdmatalphatestenabled...honestly i dont know anything about SimPE so the whole thing is very confusing to me.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th May 2020 at 11:57 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th May 2020 at 12:13 AM.
What I suggested is probably the easiest solution - shrink down the original mesh and replace it. If you know how to replace an OBJ mesh, and how to scale a mesh in Milkshape, you know everything you need.

EDIT: Hmm... so there's no GMDC, that makes things harder because I'm not sure where the mesh reference is hiding. I'm guessing it's made to pull the mesh from the Reaction Tester or some such, but have its own textures.

I think it's possible to add an editable GMDC, but it's probably a bit finnicky.

You could try to make the texture except a small square in the middle (on=light blue, off=dark blue) invisible, and add the line "stdMatAlphaTestEnabled" with the value 1 to the TXMT to enable invisibility (could be you need a few other lines, too), and you'll need DXT3 for transparency. Can't guarantee anything
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#8 Old 20th May 2020 at 12:58 AM
Alchemist
#9 Old 20th May 2020 at 7:27 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 20th May 2020 at 7:39 PM.
There's already a model name. You can just do it the way I show in my tute here. It's very simple. I've listed a bunch of object names there, so you don't even have to find one, but if you can't do it for some reason, I'll make you one of whatever Maxis object you want it to be. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post5489511

But, this mod wasn't really meant for live play. It's fine to use it that way, but it was meant to let you turn everything on or off in build or whatever. In the game when live, you can just click any lamp and turn things on or off, iirc.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 21st May 2020 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
There's already a model name. You can just do it the way I show in my tute here. It's very simple. I've listed a bunch of object names there, so you don't even have to find one, but if you can't do it for some reason, I'll make you one of whatever Maxis object you want it to be. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post5489511

But, this mod wasn't really meant for live play. It's fine to use it that way, but it was meant to let you turn everything on or off in build or whatever. In the game when live, you can just click any lamp and turn things on or off, iirc.

this is super useful. but will this work with two different custom contents? I love Monique's Hacked Computer and want to change the model to a custom computer I've fallen in love with but never use because it lacked Monique's features.
Alchemist
#11 Old 21st May 2020 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by soriya
this is super useful. but will this work with two different custom contents? I love Monique's Hacked Computer and want to change the model to a custom computer I've fallen in love with but never use because it lacked Monique's features.

This is for changing a mod to look like a Maxis object. To change using the shape of a custom object, do the other things they described here changing out resources for the mesh and textures and such.