Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 1:19 PM
Default Is there a limit to the number of cc files you can have in sims1?
So, yesterday I went back to a few old sites that still have stuff, grabbed a couple of things I didn't get, years before.
Installed them manually, played a bit.

This morning though, I went looking for stuff I know I installed, and bits are not there.
I could find the males only door (Turkish baths, bunny wuffles) but the women only door was not there, even though I had installed it.

Now, I have an absolute < redacted > amount of content for the sims1, more than is probably sensible lol, so I got to wondering... If there was a hard cap, limit ect to just how many files the game will recognise.

I have had that problem with my sims2, till I have to now take bits I don't use regularly out, if I find something new I will use. (The game just won't start till I take a bit out to put new stuff in.)
I figured I had reached sims2's limit for me there.

So am I right, my missing stuff just went over the limit in sims1 or am I getting it wrong, and its just something else?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 3:14 PM
I've never had much content in my Sims 1 game, but I have read that people have found some sort of limit. I can't find any figures though, Parsimonious suggests it's 2.5 to 3.5 GB which seems a bit imprecise, but I can't find any better figures or explanation! Do you have your game installed to the default location (Program Files (x86))? If so then try clearing your Virtual Store, as anything you install to the game is virtualised with Win 7 onwards.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I've never had much content in my Sims 1 game, but I have read that people have found some sort of limit. I can't find any figures though, Parsimonious suggests it's 2.5 to 3.5 GB which seems a bit imprecise, but I can't find any better figures or explanation! Do you have your game installed to the default location (Program Files (x86))? If so then try clearing your Virtual Store, as anything you install to the game is virtualised with Win 7 onwards.

Well, I'm not totally sure but its probably close to 10gig buy now lol.
And the machine I'm using is windows XP rather than windows7. She's a dumpster rescue, old dual core I added a 210 low form factor to, back when eccleston was the new Dr who lol.
3gig ram, 32bit but runs fine.

My main worry is that, with so much cc, and nearly all of it no longer available, I don't want to loose it. Anything that's .iff would mostly work, but some things are dependant on other things (like the ala cart fridge foods, or the Viking animations for the fire) like NPC .cmx ect.

And since the yahoo groups went to the big wayback machine in the digital sky, I'm not sure where people are saving or archiving stuff.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:09 PM
I would back up your cc files to Simfileshare. People like me still play TS1 and would love to have some of the objects you've collected.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I would back up your cc files to Simfileshare. People like me still play TS1 and would love to have some of the objects you've collected.

I wouldn't know how to do it lol. Plus that machine is offline only, I won't give my sims machine a connection (its not very modern of me, but my sims are precious to me, so offline makes me feel better)

Yesterdays files came from Bunny Wuffles Architectural supplies site, and the day before was Secret Society of Woobsha, both of which are still there. There was a link to a place hosting Caro's stuff, but I noticed that I have his green and Christmas theme stuff that was not there. I grabbed what was there tho, as I'm thinking to make a data DVD of what I already have still in my online machines download folder.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:23 PM
Oh, okay- forget the virtual store bit for XP, then! You could backup your stuff to an external drive, or cloud storage- would be tricky to find out what is dependent on other items though. I miss the Yahoo groups, there were a lot for Sims 1 and Sims 2. Some stuff is archived linked in this thread, other sites linked here.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Oh, okay- forget the virtual store bit for XP, then! You could backup your stuff to an external drive, or cloud storage- would be tricky to find out what is dependent on other items though. I miss the Yahoo groups, there were a lot for Sims 1 and Sims 2. Some stuff is archived linked in this thread, other sites linked here.

I do have the first transfer backed up on an old external HDD (from win2000 move to the ex machine lol) so I might have to juggle some folders to merge them (might get the Viking fire back that way lol, it no longer smokes stories) tho that old things a bit...ornery these days.

Do you know if files in folders in /downloads or /skins /expack 3 ect will show up?
I noticed a fair few of my skins are wrong. I have underwear and sleepwear showing up as normal wear in some cases, probably because I saw the .cmx ect and just installed to /skins like a dope after forgetting to separate the downloads into separate folders.

I really should clear up my downloads into folders if that will stay visible, then I can add/remove stuff easier.

Do ether file cop or sims file maid allow you to remove files that are not working?
Or is it back to manually trying to find everything lol?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 7:21 PM
Hmm, I've not played Sims 1 for a while, maybe @HarVee will know about Sims file Maid/ File cop? This tells you about where to put files, maybe it will have some info to help.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 8:54 PM
Oh, where they go isn't the worry. Many files are still their originals so come with good old fashioned text, notepad and rich text files giving their info, if they are file share friendly or the 'no tsr' warning lol.

With sims2 I can have folder in folder ( /downloads/build) or even folder in folder *in* folder. (/download/build/parsimonious)
At one point I was using separate download folders on desktop inside a descriptive folder ( fallout/downloads and Roman/downloads) but I kept forgetting to swap the folders when I wanted to play zombie apocalypse and ended loading in Roman+Greek+Viking town instead lol.

I have seen folders inside downloads, but most of those were the official stuff, so I wasn't sure if non official would work that way. If they do, I'll have to organise better when my current online becomes my offline PC, hopefully make it neater, more stable and a lot easier to add/remove stuff.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 9:07 PM
The link I gave gives info about subdirectories too, as well as which files can be put into FARs.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 1:23 PM
well now.... the saga contunues XD

the link you provided, very welcome but at times, goes over my head. But for sure, i will nibble onit and get it in tiny chunks till it makes sence.

i tried again, looking to see if the ladies only door i wanted was coded only for non home lots. but it wasnt in the list, it wasnt in the files. i looked in the download i had (everything was clearly labled, which was a little confusing, since i had a double of 'ladies bath 2' (not its actual name but a readable version lol)
so, i went back to the page....

its not actualy there ether!
the file that is supposed to be 'ladies tukish bath set part 6' is actualy the same as the ladies bath set 2.
im NOT going mad. the files just were not there. and i dont know if they are available anywhere else outside of stuff i dont use (discords ect)
does anyone know if the sims file shares have the files for the ladies only turkish bath set? its the door i realy want, but it was supposed to be a zip of a women only door, a matching bookcase for reading interests, a sign.
the link here, its the ladies set number 6 if anyone knows if they are still keeping an eye on the site
http://sas.woobsha.com/CulturalHF/T...urkishBaths.htm

oh, and it turns out my dl folder is actualy 3gig. takes around 8mins to load even with 3gig ram XD but thats a whole lot better than my sims2 lmao. i have to time that one, i think *that* is the one thats 10gig then.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 5:17 PM
I can't even imagine 8 minute to load TS1. My game loads in 20 seconds.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 6:11 PM
Well, its an older machine, older HDD. These days you young un's have win10 with ssd's lol.
Plus I have sooooooo much cc that I have collected over 15-20 years, its bound to be slower.
Tho it takes a lot less time the second time or third time since I think it keeps the stuff in its memory for a while after it closes.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 7:02 PM
I'm curious to know why you're using an old machine? Newer faster computers aren't that expensive and SSDs only cost about 130 USD for a 1TB.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I'm curious to know why you're using an old machine? Newer faster computers aren't that expensive and SSDs only cost about 130 USD for a 1TB.

Because I keep my sims games offline, on older machines. See back in the old days, sims2 murdered 2 mainboards, 2 graphics cards and a couple of HDD before I found out about SecR0M, the groups.cache file and so on. I reinstalled windows200p so many times too.
Once I found out how to deal with that, I had the machine I have now for sims 1, 2 and 3.
When I need to replace my current online games PC (maybe next year, depends on shadowlands wow lol) she will have all my mmo and online only games uninstalled and become my new offline sims machine.
I still have the disks for all 3, even the old special version of sims3 DVD that came with the plumbob USB stick (which keeps my fixed exes or 1+2, the suxr0m cleaner and the no CD mod for sims3 saved lol) so I just reinstall from them, and manually copy mods....oh that will take ages lmao
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 11:21 PM
On an old machine without an SSD? Yeah that will take ages.

Idk. Guess I'm just lucky and never had any problems with Securom.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 11:59 AM
Oh, I had so many issues with that thing, it scarred me for life where copy protection is concerned lol.
To the point I refuse to buy games digitally if the have it, like Denuvo ect.

Though it wasn't just the sux.
The groups.cache issue was even worse, I would reinstall win2k and all would start up. Then I would reinstall all my sims2, and that would play. Put back my downloads folder and KERBLAMO! The sims2 would not start up lol.

Thankfully there were smart people here who taught me how to neuter that little programme issue, along with how to deal with the sux.
But it still causes me frustration over copy protection and so on. I paid for every disk I own of the sims. Granted, many of the sims3 were ether 'on sale' like with seasons and some were 2nd hand in charity/thrift shops. I still keep my eyes open for sims3 stuff as I have all the sims1 and 2 disks.
But it burns my bacon that as a legit, lawfull paying customer who obeys the law and the rules....I have to resort to CD cracks and so on to play my properly paid for games.
Its why I refused to buy sims4, as its online only to get. Luck for me, my fiancé was gifted the basegame by a friend when they got a bundle for the other parts. (That's why I'm listed as 'owning' sims4. He has no interest in registering here, so I put it in my settings that I own it, even tho its on HIS PC lol)
Whenever I get to visit with him, I play it and build him houses lol, grab basic cc and then after I'm back home, he plays with my builds.
He's a "square boxes are fine when I build, but you make such nice places" kinda guy lol
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 4:44 AM Last edited by mikestanley464 : 30th Apr 2021 at 9:23 AM.
Now, I have an absolute < redacted > amount of content for the sims1, more than is probably sensible lol, so I got to wondering... If there was a hard cap, limit ect to just how many files the game will recognise. VidMateapp.win
Canli Mac izle VidMate app
Mad Poster
#19 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 7:15 AM
I wish I could help but I've never ran into a cap yet. Got over 4,000 CC files, roughly 2GB including all the loose skin files of course.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 12:16 PM
I get the feeling its a hardware cap rather than a software cap
Reason being, my sims2 and how it acts.
Currently it takes a lot of time (haven't tested it just yet, but ReiRei has started hard locking on wow again *sighs* so its finally time to bite that bullet and work out the new online PC lol) so I might just boot SimsRei up and time how long it takes lol.

But, I think its hardware based with her. The CPU is an old dual core pentium and windowsXP 32bit with 3gig ram. The vids card is the nvidia 210 low profile.
This, I think, might be the issue for 2 at least. I can't give method, I just 'feel' that its got something to do with this, and maybe the size of the HDD?
Times have been, my 'feelings' with PCs have been confusingly correct in the past lol.
I have diagnosed HDD failures by sound and feel in laptops before. A couple of mainboard fails with laptops too. Brought at least 2 desktops back from what should have been the graveyard.

One was recovered by the local cops after stolen. Poor thing even had mud in the bottom of the case, was part screwed to the case itself (yikes!) And cables were loose and dangling all over. I managed to clean, dust and replace everything as it should be, I hoarded screws, spare bits and other use full bits so I always had a few spare. Boss said I was waisting me time, but I told him "at least you can show the customer we tried"
And would you believe it, she booted! I was so happy I teared up lol.

Another one was in a similar state, but by eebkac (error exists between keyboard and chair, otherwise known as human do dumb) they did the same thing I had with my first ever personal build. Though they had used some of the brass standscrews, they had screwed the mainboard down at one end to the case.
(That can short the parts, and magnetise the case for up to 2and a half years, how long it took for my customised hand painted first case to demagnetise lol)
I did the same, relocated the mainboard, replace enough standscrews and test. She also booted, and we installed their windows. One happy boss, one happy (and relieved) owner and me, thanking the ServerGods that things had worked and I had rolled natural 20's and a critical success on my 'lay on hands:cyber' attempts lol.

I'm sorely rusty with PC, out of date but try to at least keep some up to date info with them, so I may have lost my touch when it comes to them.