Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 7:45 AM
Default How to edit accessories/beards so they can equip together?
Weird problem, I know, but the ears from this set of items (and a few others that I've got in my folder) unequip the beards off my teenage and adult male Sims. Given that I'm trying to make a lion lad, he kind of does need a beard, lol. What's a lion without a mane?

https://modthesims.info/d/279251/ma...ms-furries.html

I'm hardly a pro at this, but I can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried changing the BIN assignment and that hasn't fixed it. I assume there's some kind of index or slot in there that's the same as standard beards and is knocking one another off. I don't mind doing all the work if I know exactly what it is I need to fix, but I'm really struggling to spot the problem. I learn most of this stuff by trial and error, after all.

My only other idea- if I'm unable to correct the meshes of the ears not to do that- is to clone the beards I want and create a version of them that's considered stubble instead. Stubble doesn't get knocked off by the ears, so as far as I can tell it should work in theory- but that's quite a few colours and meshes that I'll need to recreate and go through for a fix that isn't exactly a real fix.

Again, perfectly happy to do all the necessary work myself (I actually prefer it that way), and also happy to upload the result if there's interest and it's compatible with the creators' policies- I just need to figure out where I'm tripping myself up. SURELY it's simple. Surely...

Picture relevant: The ears where I've tried to change the BIN, but that hasn't worked to make the beard not disappear. ...It's such an odd problem, I've not seen this specific issue with any other CC
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2020 at 7:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Dec 2020 at 7:21 PM.
There are some accessories (usually with bugs involved, but not entirely sure exactly what's causing it) that causes eyebrows to disappear, but I've never seen it happen with beards, perhaps because I don't use beards that often. Could be something similar happening here.

Have you tried a completely different Bin number (preferably higher - just replace a number and/or letter A-F instead of the two 00s after the x, maybe switch around a few other digits as well), just to get that out of the way?

Beards should be layerable with accessories, so most likely something is going on either in the beards or accessories. It's most likely the recolors and not the meshes you'll want to fix. The meshes only really have the mesh - everything else is in the recolor file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There are some accessories (usually with bugs involved, but not entirely sure exactly what's causing it) that causes eyebrows to disappear, but I've never seen it happen with beards, perhaps because I don't use beards that often. Could be something similar happening here.

Have you tried a completely different Bin number (preferably higher - just replace a number and/or letter A-F instead of the two 00s after the x, maybe switch around a few other digits as well), just to get that out of the way?

Beards should be layerable with accessories, so most likely something is going on either in the beards or accessories. It's most likely the recolors and not the meshes you'll want to fix. The meshes only really have the mesh - everything else is in the recolor file.

Ahh! I didn't realise the problem might be the recolours (I really... don't quite know what I'm doing, it's all learn-as-I-go). I assumed the mesh would be the 'culprit' so that's the one I made the BIN edits etc to. I'll try fiddling with the recolours.

Yeah, it's those animal parts in particular that seem to do it, and I haven't found anything else. The beards in question are almost all basegame beards, but it doesn't seem to matter which one I attempt to use, they all get flicked off by the accessories in question.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 3:42 PM
When something isn't working properly, I tend to read through the comments of the download. Most of them seem to suggest the recolors aren't working properly, and I can see why now - it seems the creator has most likely uploaded the package files from the Project folder (these lack some important resources that make them show up ingame) and not the actual working Package files, at least for the "all files" zip folder.

Not sure if these would even work ingame. If they do, are you sure it's even these?

Anyway - if you want these to work, you can extract the textures and make new recolors (use working recolors from a different download to make recolors with)