Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2020 at 11:59 AM
Default Strange recolor
Ok, I'm new to sims 4 and I decided to make a swimsuit recolor using s4studio and I just change the color and saved. In game it looks weird I don't know why. I've done other recolors and this is first time I run into this problem. From the look of it, it looks like it's using another swimsuits specular. Have a look at these pictures and see what I've messed up. Thanks in advance.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th May 2020 at 4:20 PM
It's the shadow texture. Did you edit it at all?
I would reclone the swimsuit and import your textures into a new package making sure not to touch the Shadow texture.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2020 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
It's the shadow texture. Did you edit it at all?
I would reclone the swimsuit and import your textures into a new package making sure not to touch the Shadow texture.
This is the second time I made this recolor. I never touched the shadow cause i haven't learn that yet. The first time though, I made some changes to the bottom part of it, anther word I made it a bit lower cut and I didn't see those black lines but instead I saw a bump map of an undie sticking out like she had an undie underneath the swimsuit but just the bumpmap and no texture. It looked weird. I ditched that project and reclone it again. The second time I decided to just recolor and save and I get this weird black outline. I don't know what's wrong.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th May 2020 at 4:56 PM
The problem in your screenshot is 100% caused by the shadow texture.
Can you share your package and I can take a look.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th May 2020 at 6:03 PM
The problem in your screenshot is 100% caused by the shadow texture.
Can you share your package and I can take a look.
Ya sure here it is. maybe you can figure it out. I suspect a bug in just that outfit but then again I know too little about sims 4 modding
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Leotard.rar (72.6 KB, 3 downloads)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th May 2020 at 7:10 PM
Try importing this shadow texture.
The one in your package is definitely broken.
The attached dds file fixed it in my game.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ShadowMap.zip (40.0 KB, 4 downloads)

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2020 at 1:39 AM Last edited by telefen : 17th May 2020 at 7:02 AM.
s4studio won't see it but yes it did changing import format
Try importing this shadow texture.
The one in your package is definitely broken.
The attached dds file fixed it in my game.
Ok, I got the file in my projects folder but when I choose import, I see nothing available. I switched to warehouse and I see a shadow file yet same thing there's nothing to import from projects folder? Why it doesn't recognize dds i wonder. Got it thanks it fixed the issue. I had to change to dds format when importing. Problem still remains what if I decided to edit the image and I have to export the shadows to edit them as well. If i choose png format, it is possible to edit using my gimp 2.6.11 but that version doesn't have a dds plug in and I'll have to get gimp 2.8 or higher which i hate as it crashed on me several times and gave weird results in bodyshop of sims 2.

If I export the shadows using png file format, would I have done wrong and will get same kind of problem I wonder? Should shadows always be in dds format?

Update I exported the shadows that were fixed with your dds file, using png to open it in gimp and saving. I reimported using png again and the shadows got messed up again. Don't get it? Is png the problem or why in first place i had problems with my first time of this swimsuit without even touching the shadows?,the only thing I changed was recoloring and reimporting using png. Is png the source of my problem & if yes well I'll have to get gimp 2.8 which I despise so much and can't afford a program that costs. Tell me what you think, is it the png use and if yes why I recolored other cc without running into this kind of problem.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th May 2020 at 4:22 PM
I honestly don't understand why the problem is happening if you have never altered or replaced the shadow map at all. Changing just the main texture shouldn't do anything to the shadow at all.
The problem is normally caused by using a PNG file for the Shadow map instead of DDS. This didn't used to be a problem but something was updated in one of the recent patches so that Shadow maps will only work now if they are saved and imported as DDS files.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th May 2020 at 1:46 AM
I honestly don't understand why the problem is happening if you have never altered or replaced the shadow map at all. Changing just the main texture shouldn't do anything to the shadow at all.
The problem is normally caused by using a PNG file for the Shadow map instead of DDS. This didn't used to be a problem but something was updated in one of the recent patches so that Shadow maps will only work now if they are saved and imported as DDS files.
You know my friend I got sims 4 as a birthday present from my son cause he kept insisting on me getting new game cause I've been so attached to sims 2 mainly cause I've done a lots of meshing including my Mountaingirl bodyshape and lots of HBB modification. I tried sims 3 and got so bored of it and now sims 4 which I think has better graphic than sims 3 but not as crispy as sims 2. It's always blurry even with light mods. It feels like a kind of inticlimax since it's so problematic to mod, I mean I have to learn blender and run into all kinds of problems just trying to make a simple recolor.
Maxis has done a fantastic job of making it difficult to mod newer games. . I am not giving up yet cause it sort of feels wrong since I now got blender-2.76b-windows64 and I'll have to get gimp 2.8 and give it a new try. I had gimp 2.8 years ago and it crashed on me several times and gave strange results in bodyshop of sims 2. Now I go play my starcraft 2 and battlefield 1942 and forget about problems for a while. Many thanks for trying to help me out. I'll probably post here again asking for help so..