Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#201 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 7:50 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 18th Aug 2016 at 7:06 PM. Reason: correct wrong info
I love the horizons! Placement can be a bit nitpicky though. They seem to work best with a hood map that has a minimal amount of coastline (no islands) and ideally the corner the object gets placed in should be low. Near sea level is ideal. My Testing Hood is on a template with the two land corners on hills and the other two corners are sea (1/3 of the map is beach/ocean, I think I used Maxis' "Driftwood"), so didn't work too well. If your lot is too close to the edge of the "world" you'll still see the Maxis "fog" effect along the edge, which can look a bit jarring - looks best if there are hills, buildings, etc. between your point of view and the edge of the "world" to hide these seams. Placing the object too high made the sky show through in a couple of places made the object itself clearly visible from some of the lots since it doesn't hide itself when you leave hood decorating mode like the placement cubes for clouds, hot air balloons, etc. People less lazy than me could use that neighborhood cheat that lowers terrain in order to get it at the right level.

Meadow Creek, on the other hand, has one corner that's perfect for this. The neighborhood looks awesome with a horizon! Now I have to run through all my other hoods and try this on them!

I usually use Tom Duhamel's cameras, but the neighborhood one didn't zoom out far enough for me to see to place the horizon object properly, so I switched to this one by daz_far . This one's great for placing stuff in neighborhood view, but it's awfully twitchy - dances around like a nervous racehorse at the slightest touch - so when I'm done I will switch back to Tom Duhamel's neighborhood camera for actually playing the game.
Advertisement
Scholar
#202 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 7:57 PM
Daz far away Adding skies is fun, but it always looks a bit weird in my game- like the map is too big for them? I dunno what I'm doing half the time, so the fact that I haven't ever killed my game is pretty good!

Edit: Now I reread previous posts, I notice you're talking about horizons. Are they not they same as skies?
Mad Poster
#203 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 8:36 PM
No, horizons are different. If you look at the Criquette picture linked in post # 198, you can see that the horizon is open at the top so you will see the Maxis sky through it. I've never used replacement skies myself, so I don't know how well they would work with horizons.
Scholar
#204 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 11:27 AM
On the stupid/random question thread I asked for neighbourhood visible flowers, and then I found these. They are gorgeous and some (not all) are neighbourhood visible so I am super happy. Thought they deserved a mention.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#205 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 12:26 PM
Nimi's Neighbourhood sky, without horizons

Sometimes in a lot the sky will disappear at certain places so I have to be careful when I take photos.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#206 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 3:57 PM
Thanks bubble for the link, definitely going to grab a few. Shame they are purely decorative, I like having my Sims garden, but you can't have everything

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
#207 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Thanks bubble for the link, definitely going to grab a few. Shame they are purely decorative, I like having my Sims garden, but you can't have everything

One did say they include the butterflies, but I noticed those weren't hood visible, in case you're after that as well.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#208 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 8:44 PM
Hood visibility is irrelevant to me. My computer can't handle having neighbour lots show, and I don't spend time in neighbourhood screen, so there's not much point. But I appreciate the thought

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#209 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 9:32 PM
Mod, what I found today is 6 years old. Actually it is older because it is remake of Squinge's mod. And I was looking for it more than 2 years....
It wasn't available for most of simmers because of language barrier.
So Call taxi enabled for children remade and updated for M&G by Kazarin.
Tested it in my game, everything works. Download link here: http://www.mixei.ru/showpost.php?p=...4&postcount=388
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#210 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 11:17 PM
I wonder if it clashes with anything like toddler riders or community lot time. Does this allow children to go out alone?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#211 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 5:18 AM
I think this mod does what is said, enables "Call taxi". I do not have these mods and can't say if it clashes with them. But in situations when parent is calling taxi and is distracted to go and taxi leaves with children on board, it is lifesaver because child who got stuck on community lot in vanilla game can call taxi and go home. I tested with child only, it worked and she went to community lot alone, had a nice day and returned. Its time to build playgrounds for children only...
Theorist
#212 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 10:17 AM
For those of you, like myself, who have Rebecah's converted Pet Stories agility objects and always wished there were more color options...here you go http://digitalperversion.net/garden...21349#msg721349.

If you have never seen or used these items before, please note that they are functional and not just decorative.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Theorist
#213 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 2:54 PM
That's an awesome find. Thanks.
Field Researcher
#214 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 7:41 PM
Ok, it's not a "thing" exactly, but a blog that talks about architecture! Specifically, why McMansions suck. It goes into how they violate some of the principles of good architecture and explains things in a simple and straightforward enough way that I think I'll definitely be able to make my houses look better. This particular post I'm linking is good but there's also a lot more there.

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/1...a-mcmansion-bad
Theorist
#215 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
For those of you, like myself, who have Rebecah's converted Pet Stories agility objects and always wished there were more color options...here you go http://digitalperversion.net/garden...21349#msg721349.

If you have never seen or used these items before, please note that they are functional and not just decorative.

I did see those recolors, but there is no mention of whether or not we also need Rebecah's as it does say something about fixing meshes. The zip does have the object files with recolors, controller and pet animations files in it. It also doesn't mention if the Backyard and Professional sets can both be added or what their differences are. (:

I guess my questions would be -
1. Do we need Rebecah's files too?
2. Both Backyard and Professional can both be in game at same time?
3. What is the difference between the two? I'm think Backyard works on residential lots and professional is community lots and spawns a judge?

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#216 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yellan
Ok, it's not a "thing" exactly, but a blog that talks about architecture! Specifically, why McMansions suck. It goes into how they violate some of the principles of good architecture and explains things in a simple and straightforward enough way that I think I'll definitely be able to make my houses look better. This particular post I'm linking is good but there's also a lot more there.

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/1...a-mcmansion-bad

Speaking of the topic, in my bookmarks I have a folder of just house-plans. Here it is, if any builders ever need inspiration:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...20Bookmarks.htm

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#217 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 9:30 PM
1. I think this is replacing Bek's
2. My guess this is the small vs the large and since they don't say do not have both I would take both
3. This set has never called a judge, it's isn't functional in that sense.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#218 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yellan
Ok, it's not a "thing" exactly, but a blog that talks about architecture! Specifically, why McMansions suck.

Even more specifically, why the blogger happens to think that McMansions suck. I've seen this kind of thing about balance and proportion and harmony with the landscape etc before and I never, ever get it. Obviously I just don't have the kind of artistic temperament that even notices such things, let alone cares about them.

If anything I prefer the McMansions, because in the examples given in the linked post at least, some of them looked as if they'd been cobbled together over the course of time, adapting to changing needs and opportunities, rather than being planned to perfection from the outset.

That's an illusion, of course, because these are relatively new houses, built in toto the way they were planned. Because some people actually like them looking that way. So I'd say forget about concepts of 'good' or 'bad' architecture, and stick with architecture you happen to like.

(Of course, there is such a thing as genuinely bad architecture. It's the kind that tends to fall down soon after it's built.)
Mad Poster
#219 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
I did see those recolors, but there is no mention of whether or not we also need Rebecah's as it does say something about fixing meshes. The zip does have the object files with recolors, controller and pet animations files in it. It also doesn't mention if the Backyard and Professional sets can both be added or what their differences are. (:

I guess my questions would be -
1. Do we need Rebecah's files too?
2. Both Backyard and Professional can both be in game at same time?
3. What is the difference between the two? I'm think Backyard works on residential lots and professional is community lots and spawns a judge?

1. No, you don't need Rebecah's files. My agility items from Rebecah all turned into doghouses when I removed hers and installed these so they had to be replaced anyway, so I'm guessing they're separate objects or have different GUIDs or something.
2. Yes. The backyard and professional objects are completely separate items so if you want all the recolors, you'll have to have both sets.
3. There is a big difference in price between the two sets. The professional objects are much more expensive than the backyard ones. I only use the professional ones on community lots (dog show arena, public training grounds, etc.). Each also has its own set of recolors that aren't available for the other set. The competition programming (judge, scoring, etc.) is unique to Pet Stories. These downloadable objects only have the animations on them. You can pretend to train your dog and enter it in a pet show, but that's all. Good for storytelling/movie making.
Alchemist
#220 Old 25th Aug 2016 at 3:46 PM
Someone here recently started a thread asking for clothes for transgender women. There are some things in GOS's monthly theme thread that fit the bill.http://digitalperversion.net/garden...?topic=33861.75
Mad Poster
#221 Old 25th Aug 2016 at 7:42 PM
These are definitely not new, but I only discovered them the other night. Nanisim remeshed the smoke alarms to be overmantels that match the Maxis fireplaces. Interesting idea!

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=277510

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=278120
Theorist
#222 Old 2nd Sep 2016 at 11:57 PM
For those of you who might need/want some new clutter for your sick sims homes or your pharmacy and/or hospital, Sandy, uploaded a new set of goodies http://sims2.aroundthesims3.com/obj...s_misc_002.html.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Alchemist
#223 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 5:01 AM

Have to say thanks for this, not so much for the pet objects, but for the male cardigan outfits underneath them! :lovestruc

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Instructor
#224 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 8:40 AM
For those of you who might need/want some new clutter for your sick sims homes or your pharmacy and/or hospital, Sandy, uploaded a new set of goodies http://sims2.aroundthesims3.com/obj...s_misc_002.html.

*Another download spree*
Alchemist
#225 Old 3rd Sep 2016 at 9:17 AM
So I'm in the midst of cleaning out my downloads folder (wish me luck I can finally finish this weekend; it's taken all summer ) and I'm researching cc (oh, I like this hair but perhaps in a different color action, etc.) but of course I get sidetracked into long dark link spiral. That's when I find this:
http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com...ons-the-two-ts3

Definitely not new, but in case you missed it like I did, Crisps&Kerosene has converted a few things: TS3 buffet tables to serve hot dogs and berry pie; Around the Sims' studio camera into a modified telescope that lets sims "Practice Filming” to gain creativity and film and literature enthusiasm; and Veranka's deco uni life backpack into a functional dresser slaved to the original. Plenty of cool stuff to use, right?

Just don't ask me how I found it from looking up hairs.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Page 9 of 119