Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2022 at 11:47 PM
Default Stupid technical question: Which SSD or HDD to choose for TS3
Okay so upon installing all expandion and stuff packs, I found out that my computer don't have a lot GB of space in its hard drive and the game pretty much filled it full. So I'm planning on buying additional hard druve in this upcoming month, but problem is...

I don't know which one I need, and what amount of space would sufficient. Like what type, model and storage capacity to choose one.

What I would use it for: to keep TS3, its store content and hacks mainly. Any advice?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Feb 2022 at 3:42 PM
SSDs are really amazing over HDD. The capacity really depends on what you see yourself using for.
If you're constantly out of space and plan on adding games, get a higher capcity.
If you need one just for the sims, a low capacity is fine.

I personally usually aim for high capacity ones so I don't have to buy another as fast.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 8th Feb 2022 at 8:11 PM
Everybody tells that SSD are faster than HDD, what gain of performance did you win since? Because I am not convinced at all. Sims 3 is a capricious game.
I have got an HDD 1 Tb.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 8th Feb 2022 at 10:35 PM
Yes, I can confirm having the game on SSD gives better performance, but only when you have a small amount of cc installed. I have 2GB++ worth of cc in my game and my SSD becomes useless, it runs like a slug. Merging cc helps it run smooth however..

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Instructor
#6 Old 8th Feb 2022 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucieSims
Everybody tells that SSD are faster than HDD, what gain of performance did you win since? Because I am not convinced at all. Sims 3 is a capricious game.
I have got an HDD 1 Tb.

I've got 1TB HDD too and I'm playing the Sims 3 on laptop. I think it only affects to loading times since SSD has better and higher rpm than HDD so it could load all custom contents and mods at ease. For normal gameplay, you'll eventually get random freeze if you don't install essential mods like twallan's mods and clean out the junk caches no matter how powerful your PC is. Remember the Sims 3 is still 32-bit.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Feb 2022 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hehe, you are correct. It does well in random small read/write. But it is not rpm, rpm stands for "Revolutions Per Minute." SSD is solid state drive, it doesn't have the mechanical rotational disk. This is the primary reason it is so fast and why it is unnecessary to defrag a SSD drive.

eh I know what rpm stands for. fact is, I never own an SSD so I have no idea anything specific about it, therefore I just referred it to rpm :D

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Forum Resident
#9 Old 10th Feb 2022 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucieSims
I have got an HDD 1 Tb.

For SSD's there are different types to enhance speed performance further such as NVMe/PCIe, which I read is good for games among other things which may help shorten and improve processing/loading/start up times/overall performance.

The Sims 3 installed on a WD_Black SN750 1 TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD – Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280 3D NAND with gaming mode on. (Aurora Skies - All Settings Maxed - All EP's/SP's/Store Content)
https://youtu.be/BtfrhN8rGpA

Loading times have not bothered me regardless of having TS3 installed on a HDD or SSD except with how CAS shows all presets and makes loading so slow when all EP/SP/The Store is installed. So if I remember correctly, I only had NRass NoCD, NRass MC/Cheats/Integration installed. I have done enough tests without mods except for NRass NoCD to determine game performance and it always run so smooth and flawless. But the moment I start adding certain mods/more mods, unfortunately that performance can take a hit which is quite frustrating and why I must constantly maintain my mods when performance is not to my liking.

=======

The Sims 3 installed on a HDD (Part 1 – Appaloosa Plains - All Settings Maxed - All EP's/SP's/Store Content?- NRassNoCD)
I don't remember what brand of HDD it is or what the RPM is even though this is from the desktop I built myself, though years ago. For some reason I documented the case, motherboard, memory, processor, video card, power supply and disc drive but not the hard drive.
https://youtu.be/RecjZIs6N-E

The Sims 3 installed on a HDD (Part 2 – Appaloosa Plains)
https://youtu.be/eGZxSsm5sUc

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition