Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 3:29 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Inventory Crash
I've just moved a family into a new apartment and something in the inventory of the sim carrying their stuff is causing an exception that boots me to desktop.
I didn't put anything particularly dodgy in there (No beds etc) so I'm chalking this up to the game just deciding to be Like That, or maybe some bad CC that has just never been a problem til now, who knows? But I would like to be able to use this sim's inventory again at some point, so is there a way (either through tools in game or in simPE) that I can clear this sim's inventory? I'm fine losing whatever's in there, they were pretty poor anyway.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 4:11 AM
You can use this (https://modthesims.info/d/228385/in...d-05-05-08.html) to sell all buyable items in inventory, which may sell the problem item for you, but maybe not if it's some special item of some sort. Killing the sim also empties their inventory.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
You can use this (https://modthesims.info/d/228385/in...d-05-05-08.html) to sell all buyable items in inventory, which may sell the problem item for you, but maybe not if it's some special item of some sort. Killing the sim also empties their inventory.

Good idea re: the vase, but unfortunately this triggers whatever the problem is. Hopefully there's a way to avoid killing the sim.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kittymykitty
Good idea re: the vase, but unfortunately this triggers whatever the problem is. Hopefully there's a way to avoid killing the sim.

Years ago I had a sim whose inventory was crashing the game and I deleted their inventory in simPE. I don't recall how, but make a back up and have a look at them in simPE. I just found some inventory lines, deleted them and the sim was fixed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 7:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Years ago I had a sim whose inventory was crashing the game and I deleted their inventory in simPE. I don't recall how, but make a back up and have a look at them in simPE. I just found some inventory lines, deleted them and the sim was fixed.

I've had a look but couldn't find anything blindingly obvious to mess with there. I'm sure it is there but I'm not knowledgeable enough to find it blind nor comfortable enough to delete things at random.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 8:08 AM
Try moving the household to a non-apartment lot. An empty one will do. Sometimes things throw errors for apartments when they don't on residential lots. If that works here, you can open the inventory and empty it of everything. If you can, you might want to make a note of the things you take out so that you can later do some experimenting to see if you've got bad CC.

I have occasionally found memories in inventory, which is not a good thing, but presumably when you looked at the inventory in SimPE that would have leaped out at you.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Try moving the household to a non-apartment lot. An empty one will do. Sometimes things throw errors for apartments when they don't on residential lots. If that works here, you can open the inventory and empty it of everything. If you can, you might want to make a note of the things you take out so that you can later do some experimenting to see if you've got bad CC.

I have occasionally found memories in inventory, which is not a good thing, but presumably when you looked at the inventory in SimPE that would have leaped out at you.

Oh, no, just to clarify I couldn't figure out where the inventory even was in SimPE (And google was not forthcoming with answers) If anyone could point me in the right direction that's definitely something I'd want to do.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 4:33 PM
Oh, I have no idea either!

It occurs to me that if memories can get mixed up in inventory items, maybe inventory items can get mixed up in memories? If you go to the character file and open the More tab one of the things you get access to is memory, so if you can't get into the inventory on a residential lot that's at least something you could check out.

My approach to troubleshooting has always been: Make a back up, then poke around in everything you can reach hoping to gain a crucial insight or maybe fix it accidentally.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 5:12 PM
Inventory items:
Open neighbourhood in SimPE, then open the affected sim:

On the 'More' tab open memories:

Click the Tokens tab:

Inventory items are there. As you can see, there are also other items there- tokens for skill and so on- so leave those and just delete the objects. Don't forget to commit before save.

As always, make a safe backup first!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 8:05 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I had a poke around in SimPE and turns out someone's entire inventory ended up in their memories Fixed now and all is well. Sims amirite?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder @simsample I knew it was in there somewhere.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~