Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 10:44 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default (Hopefully) A Quick Question about the 4GB Patch
Hello!

I have just finished installing all of the EPs from discs (I missed the UC unfortunately) - long time Mac Super Collection player this whole time.

Anyway, I am researching how to install the 4 GB patch because I have been having some graphics issues (mainly jumping and glitchy graphics, like water in ponds only halfway showing up or walls and objects disappearing when I place a piece of furniture etc.). The general consensus seems to be that one must install the patch on the Mansion and Gardens EP since it is the most recent. I tried that, and it did not work. I was wondering if I might need to install it on a different EP - here's my logic - so, I stupidly agreed to install the Sims 2 Store Edition when I installed University Life, so that is the disc that the computer asks for to run the game each time I start it up, even though the load screen shows Mansions and Gardens. Do I need to install the patch on the Sims 2 Store Edition exe or does that even matter?

I am still working on other things, so I know there is a lot of info out there about installing the patch. I just hadn't seen anyone talk about this.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 1:23 PM
The 4GB patch needs to be installed on the executable that your game runs from. Can you not look at the properties of whatever you click on to run the game and find the path to the actual executable that it invokes? That executable needs to be the one you patch.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Field Researcher
#3 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 3:02 PM
Store Edition overrides every EP and SP, so that's the one you should patch. When you download 4GB Patch, cut Sims2SC.exe from University Life\EP99\TSBin\ and paste it on your desktop. Then, apply the patch with the file there. After it's done, put the patched executable back in TSBin and check your log to see if it works. Have you used Graphics Rules Maker? Issues you described seem graphics related, so that might help too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 1:05 PM
I have used the 4GB patch on the Sims2SC.exe and the SP9 (just in case). The memory is still showing 2048MB on the log file. I have been following the suggestions here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=635099. I got to the suggestions about the CFF explorer, which I downloaded and used. The program shows that both exe files can handle >2gb address space. I am using a 64 bit OS.

In terms of the path question, I usually run the game from Program Files (x86) / EA Games / Sims 2 University Life Collection / EP99 / TSBin / Sims2SC.exe. There are several shortcuts for the various EPs on the desktop that pull up the launcher. Their paths only show as far as the desktop.

I have used the Graphics Rules Maker to increase the size of the screen resolution, but I did that before I had all the EPs installed. Could that be part of the problem? Should I run it again?
Forum Resident
#5 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 1:48 PM
If CFF Explorer (what I use) shows that the executables can handle greater than 2GB address space then the patch is installed on those executables regardless of what anything else says. CFF Explorer looks directly at the exe.

Perhaps a silly question... How much memory do you have on the computer. For the patch to work, your computer must have at least 4GB of memory.

I'm not familiar with the Mac. Perhaps someone with Mac knowledge who's applied the patch will chime in?

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
If CFF Explorer (what I use) shows that the executables can handle greater than 2GB address space then the patch is installed on those executables regardless of what anything else says. CFF Explorer looks directly at the exe.

Perhaps a silly question... How much memory do you have on the computer. For the patch to work, your computer must have at least 4GB of memory.

I'm not familiar with the Mac. Perhaps someone with Mac knowledge who's applied the patch will chime in?

I forgot to mention that I am using a PC. The reference to the Super Collection was just to point out that I am new to the Sims 2 on a PC, having previously used a Mac for the game. I will look into the memory issue. I would expect the memory to be enough, since it is a new laptop, but I have not explicitly looked at it.