Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 11:33 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SimPE weirdness
I just opened a neighbourhood after not touching it in SimPE for a while and I'm getting some weird problems.

My sims have the wrong names. The sim in the attached picture is actually named Herbert Falmer. No idea where the other name came from. The names in the pop up are all wrong too (except for the pets, but there are wrong pet names in other families).

As you can see in the picture my Nightlife turn ons/offs are not showing up at all.

Under the relations tab it shows none of the family he lives with and is friends etc. with and shows people from another family (whose names are also all wrong except for the toddlers'; this time the pets' names are wrong though) whom he has never met.

I checked to make sure it wasn't just this neighbourhood and my other neighbourhood has the same problems.

I have recently updated to the latest SimPE and I had a problem with the file paths for the expansions not being correct (because I have the UC), but I fixed that.

Can anyone help?
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 11:42 AM
Is the language for SimPE the same as your game language? I've seen strange names when UK and US English clash for example.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 1:39 PM
Yeah, names can change if the selected language changes. I've heard people having games in a different language change theirs to English and the names translate to English (but that might be for townies).

If I were you, I'd maybe go into my game and check if the changes haven't applied to the game proper; it would be unlikely, but I'd check just to be safe...

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 1:49 PM
Charity is from New Zealand so uses UK English the same as I do. I still use 73 and never had an issue.

Maybe try resetting the layout.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#5 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 2:17 PM
If your computer is in NZ English (ENZ) then SimPE will have defaulted to UK English, you need to set it to be the same language as your game in Extra->Preferences->SimPE Settings.
That won't help with the Nightlife turn ons/offs though, SimPE probably has the wrong install path for M&G. It gleans the turn on/off/trait information from the UIText.package in your highest Installed game but if it doesn't find it then it won't try a lower EP, it will just return empty. I believe for the UC the path is Fun with Pets/SP9.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 4:08 PM
I changed SimPE to US English and it fixed the names.

The Mansion and Gardens file path had deleted itself, so with that fixed the Nightlife stuff shows up again.

The one thing not fixed is the weird relationship thing. Under the relationship panel the only people who show up are those in my Plantsim family, whether the person in question has met any of them or not. Their own family doesn't show up at all. If I check someone in the Plantsim family, then they only show each other, but the cat in the picture is listed as a relation to all the humans, which is genetically impossible lol (I know I have 'not related' ticked too, but when just 'related' was ticked they all still showed up).

For my other neighbourhood it seems to be the Kats who are in everyone's relationship panel (and they are listed as known to people who have never met them). But the last time I opened SimPE it was people who seemed to be in no household at all.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#7 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 5:14 PM Last edited by CrystalFlame360 : 16th Nov 2020 at 5:26 PM.
Might possibly come off as stupid (wouldn't be the first time), but have you tried checking for other families with the drop down box, or doesn't that work for you?

EDIT: Oh, hang on, the issue is that sims are marked as known to sims who haven't even met them. Funny, I have this with my vanilla Strangetown, actually... Would it be risky unticking the 'Known' box then running the HoodChecker?

If this were me, I would also open the game to refresh myself, since you said you hadn't touched the hood in a while. Sometimes I find myself forgetting what had occurred in a hood after not touching it for a while and find myself confused why and how Sim A knows Sim B.

Probably didn't say anything useful, but I'm just speaking from my own experience. SimPE can also have hiccups, I remember once I had sim who apparently fulfilled the conditions for the Lyncanthropy (SP?) TO without being a werewolf. Though, this may have been a hiccup on the game's part.
Screenshots

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 9:35 AM
I hadn't touched the hood in SimPE. I've been in the hood itself recently. I didn't think of trying Hoodchecker though. I'll give it a go.

Hoodchecker found quite a bit of stuff to remove and removed it all except for these three, which it couldn't fix.

User File Warnings:
Sim has no Character file: 0x0106 SimID=0x0055FD4D
Sim has no Character file: 0x0107 SimID=0x0055FD4B
Sim has no Character file: 0x0108 SimID=0xF7E4AE00

But it didn't fix the problem, unfortunately. It's not that sims are marked as known when they aren't. This one family is showing up as related or as contacts when they aren't and actual related sims and friends aren't showing up.
Scholar
#9 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 11:54 AM
It's not so much Hoodchecker can't fix but won't fix, those three sims are (part of the hospital mod, I recognise their GUIDs) in your download folder where Hoodchecker can't find them. It won't remove them as it 'knows' they probably do actually exist.

The relationship panel is very clunky to use, the layout is all wrong with the unlabelled family drop down (which is a filter) set above the Filter Sims: label and both are seemingly, needlessly full width but there is a good reason. The Sim Pool control is used by the family ties and neighbourhood memory tool and changing the layout in one messes up the others. However the problem it does have, that you are likely to be having and can be fixed (is fixed now, just updated SimPE again) is it doesn't update when you choose another sim. In that case the whole display is wrong and we have to fiddle with the filters to coax it to update.

If/when you select a sim with no relationship the relationship display becomes irrelevant. The values grey out but mostly the headers change to Unknown towards Unknown, in that case just ignore it because none of the displayed values mean anything.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 12:47 PM
Ah, that would make sense. I have the hospital mod.

And I am officially an idiot. I rechecked my filters and the reason that only one family was being shown is because I mistakenly thought that it defaulted to all households and it didn't and was stuck on Lassie. *facepalm* So it's only the filter for related/not related that seems to be broken and they show up correctly as family or not if you click on a particular sim, so I can live with that.

Thanks for all your work updating SimPE!