Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 8:44 AM
Default How did you start?
Hi everyone! I'm new to meshing. I've tried once before but i ended up getting frustrated and i quit, but i'm back to give it another try.
I use Milkshape. I haven't made a real mesh yet. I've been mostly messing around with TS3 hair meshes.

I'm not sure where to go from here or what to do to improve.. So i'm asking you all, since most of you have alot more experience than i do.. How did you start out? What kind of things did you do to improve?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miniie
Hi everyone! I'm new to meshing. I've tried once before but i ended up getting frustrated and i quit, but i'm back to give it another try.
I use Milkshape. I haven't made a real mesh yet. I've been mostly messing around with TS3 hair meshes.

I'm not sure where to go from here or what to do to improve.. So i'm asking you all, since most of you have alot more experience than i do.. How did you start out? What kind of things did you do to improve?

Hi, Miniie!

Don't get discouraged--meshing is difficult for even the most experienced creator, and getting it just right can take just as much luck as it does skill. I think I followed the table tutorial 2 or 3 times before I actually got one to display correctly in my game. I gave it up for quite awhile, too. It just seemed too labor-intensive, and I really didn't enjoy it at first. I don't know what exactly encouraged me to try again, but I'm really glad I did. Once I understood the reason behind each of the steps, it helped to cement the process for me.

The best advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. Your first mesh probably isn't going to be great, and though I've never done a hair mesh myself, I've been told they're one of the hardest things to get right, so that might not be the best place to start. If you have Sims 2, I'd suggest you start with small decorative objects and work your way up, just because they're easier, and you have all the tools and tutorials available to you now, whereas the tools and tutorials for Sims 3 are still in the development stage.

Some suggestions for someone just starting out:

--Before you combine the Groups into one subset for exporting back into the game, make sure you save your project with all of them separate. This will help if you need to make changes later on, and it makes UV mapping easier.

--Speaking of UV mapping, don't use UV Mapper Classic (or whatever it's called). Go with LithUnwrap. It's easier to use, and you won't have to re-map every time you change one little thing.

--Cylinders are very versatile. Use them for everything for isn't a box or a sphere.

--Don't be afraid to delete faces that aren't going to show. Try to keep the poly counts down any way you can.

There are lots of little tips and tricks that individual meshers use, but everyone's style is going to be a little different. You just have to try and find what works best for you.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:14 PM
Thanks alot for the tips!
Theorist
#4 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 5:37 PM
Someone knows how to use UV mapping?
Alchemist
#5 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 12:39 PM
I bet Raps know how.

See i have no choice but be isolated
Threatened
Forced to extract the heart
Pushed aside
Made segregated
Struggling
Left alone
Apart...
Theorist
#6 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 11:50 PM
Alchemist
#7 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 11:06 AM
Omg!!!! What happened to Raps????

Threatened
Pushed aside
Made segregated
Struggling
Left alone
Apart...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 7:33 AM
Here I be. :P

Well, it depends on the program. Hmm, what programs are you using, Claudia? I forget...

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Banned
#9 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 9:26 AM
I started meshing after I added GrandDuchessEmerald from sapphiresims2.com to my yahoo. We were just having a casual conversation, and she said that her and Pam were gonna be meshing that night at 9:00 pm and would teach me how if I wanted to have a conference call with them. So all that day, I couldn't wait til 9:00 pm to learn meshing, and I finally learned! I had been wanting to learn meshing ever since I started making custom content back in 2006, but every time I tried to read a tutorial I was just so lost! I really needed someone to sit down in chat and walk me through it, and God bless her! she did just that. I'm so happy that she taught me how to mesh!

Thanks a bunch GDE!
Theorist
#10 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 1:42 PM
I'm using Milkshape and I download LithUnwrap...
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:22 AM
Hmm. I know nothing about lithunwrap. I know milkshape has a built-in UV Mapper (which is what i use) but it's probably not as good as lithunwrap. May I see what you're trying to map in a smooth-shaded with wireframe overlay picture, please?

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Theorist
#12 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:41 PM
I follow your tutorial and did this...
What you think?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#13 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:27 PM
omg, that looks good

Threatened
Pushed aside
Made segregated
Struggling
Left alone
Apart...
Theorist
#14 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:31 PM
Alchemist
#15 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:35 PM
I really want that table. will you send it to me when you finish it?

Threatened
Pushed aside
Made segregated
Struggling
Left alone
Apart...
Theorist
#16 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:38 PM
If I can put in game is yours!