Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 11:07 PM
Default What would life be like without the arts?
To me life without the arts would be depressing. Business is sterile and competitive. Science and math are too concrete. But art is open and free. I hope I'm not the only one who love the Arts, if so them I'm basically talking to myself. lol

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 11:30 PM
I actually haven't taken an arts class since freshman year, and that was because we need them to graduate.

I'm very glad that the arts are available at my school, I've been an active member of the drama club since seventh grade, and have either performed in, or done backstage work in nine of the ten shows my middle and high school have done.

As to what life would be like without the arts, I don't think that that can truly and concretely happen. Science and engineering require drawings, and invention requires creativity. Business is kind of sterile, but one is still forced to learn to write, and it is an advantage (albeit not a deciding one) to make one's words good enough and interesting enough that someone will understand it, and read it.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
As to what life would be like without the arts, I don't think that that can truly and concretely happen. Science and engineering require drawings, and invention requires creativity. Business is kind of sterile, but one is still forced to learn to write, and it is an advantage (albeit not a deciding one) to make one's words good enough and interesting enough that someone will understand it, and read it.

I guess your right, but I love the Arts. I want to be actress

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 11:39 PM
Oh, I adore the arts too.
I write, and would love to be published, in fiction.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 10:51 PM
Is literature considered a fine art? If so, I wouldn't be able to live without it. One reason why I hate math and science in school is because it stimulates almost zero creativity, especially with math. They're painfully boring and feels as if you can't interact and shape it as your own like you can with literature.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 11:38 PM
I take Photography at my school, and it is one of my only escapes, seeing as it is the only class I take which involves any creativity. Even in English, we do hardly anything involving creative work, which is such a shame seeing as I love to write. Last year we did 4 book analysis, and there was not one task which involved creative writing. Oh, except for a test we had to do where we had to come up with a story about a shipwreck. Other than photography, I don't take any other classes involving the arts, purely because I'm bad at them :P
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:12 AM
I enjoy science, but I love literature. Books are perhaps the quietest and most loyal of companions- I read three books a week, I write often, and I can't get enough material on literary theory. Unfortunately, we have no book club at my school (merely a creative writing club, which I'm mustering up courage to attend), or else I would attend every meeting. What better way to express oneself than through the majesty of words? I can't wait until my senior year when I get to take Etymology- it's essentially a daily book club of students who do independent study in literature, but it's actually a class.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:21 AM
Isn't etymology the study of words?
Like where they came from?
ANd that sounds like an awesome class either way, I would love a class where you can just chill out and read and discuss. Or talk about where silly bizarre fiddly words like defenestrate and tricoteuse come from.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:26 AM
Yup, that's the textbook definition of etymology, and the class has absolutely nothing to do with the roots of words. My theory is that it might once have entailed such curriculum, but the teacher is known to be a bit of a wild card, so she probably thought it was frivolous and started endorsing independent study. I know a few students who have taken it and said that the entire year was a powwow of heated discussions about what they were reading. Whatever the reason, it's fine with me- Etymology is my dream class.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 2:55 AM
I would cut off my left ear to be in your Etymology class Rabid. Okay, maybe not my left ear, but still. LOL It sounds like so much fun.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd May 2009 at 4:55 PM
I love arts!!! Next year I'm gonna have lots of arts classes

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 23rd May 2009 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Extensa5420
I wouldn't say that math and science simulate almost zero creativity, especially not science. If you have read some scientific papers or watched science videos, then the ideas tend to be fascinating, creative, and occasionally bizarre. Also, you don't have to do someone's problems or problems in a textbook. You can make some of your own using a lot of creativity and logic. I'm sure that school teachers sometime make up problems and ask the students to solve them.

I have to agree with this. I have a master of science degree, and once you get past the basic level, science is ALL ABOUT creativity and original thought.

When I was 12 or so I wanted to be an actress, and then I wanted to be a singer. When I grew up, I became a scientist. I am extremely grateful for my music training in the early years, but I adore my profession and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dreamydre
I guess your right, but I love the Arts. I want to be actress

So do I!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 7:53 PM
I"m definitely going to take a band class next year whether my band teacher chose Concert or Honor Band is unknown,but I will probably take drama,ceramics,or choir next year,but then I'll have to take P.E. for a semester.Which will suck,because I have asthma.