Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Housecleaning For All Sims

by Buzzler Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 11:59 PM - Updated 11th Jan 2015 at 5:57 PM by Buzzler

222 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 154 Feedback Posts, 67 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 9
1978 gallons of pancake batter
Original Poster
#26 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MarleneJ
Will this apply to simbots ?
Seems like it. I cheat-created a simbot to test it, and it worked. The picking up of clothing piles seemed wonky (pick up, walk to the next, drop it, pick both up, walk to the next...), but when I let a real sim do the clean house interaction at the exact same state, behavior was exactly the same. I've never seen this before during testing, so I don't know what's going on and if this is a real issue. So, people, tell me if encounter any weird behavior.

Quote: Originally posted by V92
while this is very nice, would it be possible to release a version that only works with neat sims, but includes the changes you added? those fixes sound great, but giving every sim this function makes the neat trait, in my opinion, useless.
Check the update. You'll have to edit the package in S3PE. Sorry about that, but I want to avoid adding new strings to this one and that would be necessary to add an in-game interface.

Quote: Originally posted by sirbartonslady
This is a great idea! Any chance of getting the option to join the Book Club for non-Bookworms?
Well, I won't rule it out per se, but I don't really know what the point of that Book Club thingy is supposed to be. To be perfectly honest, I only tried it once and after getting one book nothing happened anymore. That aren't exactly the best circumstances to get me to make something in that direction as I only do stuff I find handy myself or at least can be easily integrated in an existing mod.

Quote: Originally posted by villainesque
I never actually mod my game. I'm all for objects that do interesting things, but I just don't like the idea of directly messing with the code for the game itself. This is the first exception I've made.
Yeah, great, and now if there is a bug in there, I have ruined it ALL for you and you will never trust any third party content again! No pressure at all! BTW: I'm not messing with the code. This is not a core mod. What a script mod does is less "directly messing" and more "civilized communicating".

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Test Subject
#27 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 2:13 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I've always made my sims have the "neat" trait just for that interaction
Test Subject
#28 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 3:20 PM
Hi this is an amazing mod that works well...except when i accidentally click it as a child it froze my game, is there anyway you can fix this, many thanks
Original Poster
#29 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 4:15 PM
@andrew555000: Fixed. Sorry, I never thought of testing it with a child, because they can't clean stuff and have no animations for it.

Forum Resident
#30 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 4:43 AM
I get this message "CleanHouse - FindNearestObjectToClean() returned null". After that, my sim stop cleaning altough there are still some old newspaper lying and dirty laundry. FYI, I have all the latest patch for BaseGame/WA/HELS/AMB.
Original Poster
#31 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 6:32 AM
@anak_ponti: Shoot, I didn't see that thing for ages and thought it were dead and gone. That actually means that the code couldn't find a cleaning interaction for the nearest cleanable object. Are you absolutely sure that it's only the old newspaper and the dirty laundry? I have never seen the code failing to handle them past the initial debugging. I'm not sure that I can load your savegame since I don't have HELS, but do you have the means to compress your savegame (preferably 7z) and upload it to a reasonably fast filehoster (mediafire, 4shared... not rapidshare please)? I have to somehow reconstruct this issue to sort it out and the easiest way is a savegame in which the issue definitely occurs.

Scholar
#32 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 12:30 PM
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 5:10 PM
Very cool, thanks. Will make my (sim-) life a lot easier.
Forum Resident
#34 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 5:10 AM
Yesterday, I realized that is my save before I apply the latest patch and maybe that's the problem. Then I start a new game and wait until there are old newspaper, dirty dishes, laundry and other. Then I perform clean house and it works perfectly...no error message.

I am sorry if I bother you with my last post. Thank you very much for this great mod.
Original Poster
#35 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 7:24 PM
@anak_ponti: I don't believe in issues resolving themselves. Always smells fishy. I fear this isn't the last we've heard of it.

So, everyone, if you ever see a "CleanHouse - FindNearestObjectToClean() returned null" notification, save immediately and upload your savegame so I can resolve it.

Test Subject
#36 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 11:02 PM
If you have a full laundry basket, no washer, and dirty clothes on the floor, a sim will continuously pick up and drop the laundry in front of the basket until you command them otherwise.
Probably not something many people would encounter, just thought I should let you know.
Test Subject
#37 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 2:03 AM
This worked right after I installed it and all of a sudden every time I click clean house the sim jumps and moves back a few squares. I haven't installed anything new and I have the just base game.
Original Poster
#38 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 7:50 AM
@arfmoo: Should be fixed now.

@FaithKlovesmusic: Sorry, but that's no information I could draw any conclusions from. Jumping out of interactions is usually caused by script errors/exceptions, but without knowing where the actual error occurs, I can't do anything about it. For all I know, it could be way outside my code, because the game has a habit of throwing exceptions in inappropriate places once it has eaten a few of his babies, aka once the neighborhood gets seriously borked. You might want to give twallan's ScriptError mod a try and if it shows you an error, send me the related XML file that gets created at the same time in Documents\The Sims 3. Or you could compress and upload your savegame, so I can have a look at it.

Lab Assistant
#39 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 7:32 PM
thankyou!
Test Subject
#40 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 4:02 AM
My sims aren't collecting all available laundry before starting a load. Instead, they take the clothes from one basket, start the washer, then go get the laundry from another basket. Since the first load hasn't finished yet, they get to the laundry basket and queue dump. If I try to queue up clean house while the washer or dryer is running, they queue dump again.
Original Poster
#41 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 5:59 AM Last edited by Buzzler : 20th Jul 2010 at 7:08 PM.
@MzThorn: That never happened here. If there's no available washing machine, sims put dirty laundry in the next hamper just like they're supposed to. And I haven't seen queue drops for quite some time. So. Some day, and that day may never come, I will come upon this issue and then I can fix it. Or someone uploads a savegame for me to reproduce the issue.

ETA: Well, the day came and sooner than expected. Suddenly a "perfect" setup occured to reproduce it. I have no idea why this didn't happen her earlier.

Test Subject
#42 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 8:45 PM
LOL, timing. Thanks for looking into it. My games are good at producing voodoo, so I'm glad you were able to reproduce.
Test Subject
#43 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 5:24 PM
I always found it dumb, and bothersome, that only neat sims could clean their house with one click. I suppose it was EA's way of giving an extra benefit to being neat but I still think it dumb... LOL!

Thanks for this mod! It's going to make the game so much more simple and little things like cleaning up so much less time consuming on me!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 3:47 AM Last edited by Anach : 23rd Jul 2010 at 5:14 AM.
Noticed my sims are no longer putting away books that have been left on the dining table as part of the house cleaning. Could this be something caused by the mod?

Also a small bug. If sims fun bar is all the way in the red, and you queue the house clean command, they will endlessly choose and drop a house cleaning task. Normally I believe they refuse to do house cleaning while they are too stressed.

As for the above bug that was posted by MzThorn, I checked my game and have noticed it too. As soon as the sim dumped off the laundry into the machine, they went to collect more laundry from other parts of the house.
Original Poster
#45 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anach
Noticed my sims are no longer putting away books that have been left on the dining table as part of the house cleaning. Could this be something caused by the mod?
Absolutely. For some reason, I have to deal with of a lot of things manually while they were handled by the same generic code in the original interaction. I'll look into it.

Quote:
Also a small bug. If sims fun bar is all the way in the red, and you queue the house clean command, they will endlessly choose and drop a house cleaning task.
Now that is weird. The motive check is right at the beginning of the interaction and it should cause the interaction to drop almost instantly if the check fails. I'll look into that one too, but it sounds like it might be a toughie.

Quote:
As for the above bug that was posted by MzThorn, I checked my game and have noticed it too. As soon as the sim dumped off the laundry into the machine, they went to collect more laundry from other parts of the house.
Even with the most recent version?

Test Subject
#46 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 4:57 PM
where to extract the .rar? please help
Original Poster
#47 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AbuNassar
where to extract the .rar? please help
Extract it to your mods folder, preferably your hacks folder inside your mods folder. If you don't have either, please read the CC Basics. BTW: What .rar? This mod comes in a .zip package.

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 11:24 PM
I was wondering if the interaction could be unavailable (showing up in grey) if the Sim is not in the mood for cleaning anything (like the game do it when we select directly an object to clean) ?
Field Researcher
#49 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 2:29 AM Last edited by Anach : 24th Jul 2010 at 7:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Now that is weird. The motive check is right at the beginning of the interaction and it should cause the interaction to drop almost instantly if the check fails. I'll look into that one too, but it sounds like it might be a toughie.

To be more precise. The houseclean interaction remains queued, but the item they are to clean will continuously drop and re-queue. So when they are normally too tired to house clean, it is possible to queue the house clean command, and thus they will be too tired to actually clean the object and get stuck in a loop of the cleanable object loop. As timoram26 said, when they are too tired to houseclean, the command should be grey, and if it was already queued, the parent command should drop.
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Even with the most recent version?

I re-downloaded the current version to check. So yes it was the most recent. 20/7 18:54, however, I will clear the cache and give it another try and report back once i'm able to confirm.

*edit* I rechecked with a freshly created sim after redownloading and clearing caches. The laundry does indeed seem to be working correctly. So either I forgot to merge the new file, clear my cache or something else.
Original Poster
#50 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 9:37 AM Last edited by Buzzler : 24th Jul 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by timoram26
I was wondering if the interaction could be unavailable (showing up in grey) if the Sim is not in the mood for cleaning anything (like the game do it when we select directly an object to clean) ?
This is getting weirder by the minute. This should already be handled by the game engine. The interaction just has to indicate that it isn't supposed to run if the sim's mood is too low, and it does that just the same as all other cleaning interactions do.

Quote: Originally posted by Anach
To be more precise. The houseclean interaction remains queued{...}
I already assumed that much, but thanks for trying to be as precise as possible.

Quote:
As timoram26 said, when they are too tired to houseclean, the command should be grey, and if it was already queued, the parent command should drop.
I agree. The thing is: It should already do that. I will dig into it right after sending this post. Might take some time, though. The needed code changes are probably minor, but the testing can be a bit of a pain.

Quote:
*edit* I rechecked with a freshly created sim after redownloading and clearing caches. The laundry does indeed seem to be working correctly. So either I forgot to merge the new file, clear my cache or something else.
Weird. That is my new favorite word. The script cache should only affect objects' scripts but not object-less scripting mods like this one. I'm not sure what you mean by merge, though. Do you actually merge multiple script mods into a single package? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

ETA: Ok, that should do it. I was unable to re-enact the endless adding and dropping interactions to/from the queue, but that probably got resolved together with the other glitch.

Page 2 of 9