Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 6:58 PM
Default English Translation of German neighborhood name
I wonder whether someone here could help me?

I'm making a list of populated neighborhoods in my journal and it would be nice to have the English translation for this: http://www.blackypanther.de/include...&contentid=4044

Specifically, could you please translate the following neighborhood name for me: "Puempelines Neupümpeldorf". Google Translate was no help at all.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 7:27 PM
I thought 'pümpel' meant plunger, as in the thing you use to unblock drains, so it would be New Plunger Village, but that really doesn't sound right! Puempeline appears to be the username of the creator. I'm not completely fluent in German though, I only know the bits my grandmother and mother have taught me, so possibly I've translated 'pümpel' wrong.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Site Helper
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 11:24 PM
That's what I came up with, too. It sounded so wrong that I thought that I should give up on automated translators and talk to a real person who speaks the language.

I wonder whether it's a joke... part of the creator's name, misspelled, and then used as the name of the "new village"?
Theorist
#4 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 12:08 AM
I asked my grandmother and the username doesn't mean anything, at least in German, and she doesn't know any other meaning for 'pümpel' either, but she hasn't lived in Germany for a long time, over 50 years, so perhaps it's picked up another meaning since then, maybe a slang meaning. Apparently it can be a surname though -I thought that was rather amusing.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Inventor
#5 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 11:34 PM
A German is trying to help you now, Mootilda.
Puempeline: Pümpel/plunger turned/forced into a name. Not a real name of course.
Neupümpeldorf: That's a fictive and funny name too. The translation New Plunger-Village would be correct as Phoeberg mentioned. The name is definitely meant to be a joke.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 12:04 AM
Thank you both for your help. It occurs to me that the neighborhood might be "going down the drain".
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 9:14 PM
Don't be irritated with the "pümpel", in fact this little thing is called "Pömpel", but this sounds still quite funny.

Greetings from Germany,
Nasenfahrrad
Inventor
#8 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 10:23 PM
I just know "Pümpel" but it may differs in the different areas of Germany.

Going down the drain or back to the roots.^^
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 11:19 AM
I've done some research and found, that "Pümpel" is a dialect form, the correct standard german word is "Saugglocke". What you said will probably be right, I live in Baden-Württemberg*, next to Bavaria, where people speak dialect a lot, the vowels are sometimes even from village to village different, myself, I would say "Pömpel".

(*The home of the swabians, I'm not one, I am from Nordbaden, the very north of BW, that's something completely different!!)

Are you looking for translations of mods or catalogue descriptions?
I am a professional translator and interpreter for English-German and French-German.
Ask me if you need a translation into or from one of these three langauges, I'd love to provide! :)