Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 12:09 PM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 27th Jan 2022 at 11:11 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Is DEP still needed? (Solved)
Hi, all. I started having random crashes again and as I went throught the obvious causes, I realized that I have never done DEP before, mainly because it never seemed to be the cause. Now I thought of doing that too - why not, can't hurt - but I got mixed information when googling. Many places said to do it - like here in MTS2, as well - but then in other places it was said that it was no longer necessary.

"3.10 Don't Change DEP Settings
Many people search the web and find outdated advice telling them to change their Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings for Sims 3. Changing DEP
settings is no longer necessary and no longer recommended, so do not change them. Game update 1.36 from July of 2012, fixed the game's DEP problems."

So, to do it or not to do it?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 12:38 PM
are you sure it's DEP? not your mods/custom contents or even faulty graphics driver? I've been using TS3 Crash Log Analyzer for years and it's helped me resolve the crash such as script mods, insufficient memory, tmp files in DCCache and random images in FeaturedContents.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 12:46 PM
You don't need to change anything in the DEP settings; this bug was fixed in the 1.36 patch as you saw mentioned.
Game Help:TS3 Patching:Patch Note 1.36wiki
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
are you sure it's DEP? not your mods/custom contents or even faulty graphics driver? I've been using TS3 Crash Log Analyzer for years and it's helped me resolve the crash such as script mods, insufficient memory, tmp files in DCCache and random images in FeaturedContents.

I have a brand-new gaming rig and yeah, I've checked pretty much everything. I've done this so many times through years that I could probably do it all blind folded. I do use CLA and it's good but the only error I get from it sometimes is the hated 'Max memory used' message. Other times there is no error after crash to desktop and that made me think of DEP, which I haven't ever done. I've battled with the MMU error for so long now, that I probably have grey hairs because of it, especially since it even happens with small towns with only tiny population. CLA have given a false positive on a rare occasions when it comes to errors, so I was just wondering if it could be one of those again and DEP instead. But I guess not. Oh, how I wish some miracle would happen and make Sims 3 able to use more memory. Sigh

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
You don't need to change anything in the DEP settings; this bug was fixed in the 1.36 patch as you saw mentioned.
Game Help:TS3 Patching:Patch Note 1.36wiki

Oh, okay. Thank you so much for answering. I'm going to leave those settings alone now.
Instructor
#5 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 5:03 PM
it doesn't matter if you have powerful computer like NASA, The Sims 3 is an old game and 32-bit, therefore it has many limitations and it's dependant on paging/virtual memory. if you happened to see max memory error, if I'm not mistaken, meaning that you have lots of program or services running in background, or you don't have enough paging memory. my laptop is almost 5 years old, but still able to handle The Sims 3 with Nraas Story Progression without memory error.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
it doesn't matter if you have powerful computer like NASA, The Sims 3 is an old game and 32-bit, therefore it has many limitations and it's dependant on paging/virtual memory. if you happened to see max memory error, if I'm not mistaken, meaning that you have lots of program or services running in background, or you don't have enough paging memory. my laptop is almost 5 years old, but still able to handle The Sims 3 with Nraas Story Progression without memory error.

Yeah, I know. I wish it wasn't 32-bit. I do always close unnecessary background programs with task manager before launching the game. I'll have to see about increasing the virtual memory. I did notice a couple of conversation about it. Maybe that might help.
Instructor
#8 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 7:03 AM
I don't know about it. I bought my laptop with windows 10 and that damn thing kept eating half of 8GB RAM. So I switched to Windows 7 and Linux as second OS and playing the Sims 3 has never been better. Also many older 32-bit games had poor performances in Windows 10 and need extra step to make them run good.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I highly doubt you will see max memory error with a Window 10 and standard RAM. If you're referring to error 12, that is relative to TS3 itself using beyond the 3.7GB limit.

Actually, it's the MMU error that I always get, if I get any. The error 12 it pretty much nonexistent. Also have nice gameplay performance, too - always been that way - with almost no lag at all, to be honest. Without the MMU error I would be a seriously happy camper. But anyway, maybe I'm not gonna touch the virtual memory then, as you suggested, if it is truly better that way.