Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#11126 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 11:04 AM
Well yeah, but I understand 'stable' as a word that breaking, corrupting, unable to handle more power, overflow etc. TS1 is just limited (is the word I would use when it comes to simulation and customization.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#11127 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 8:15 PM
There was a Maxis stream just now.
For a question "Will there be werewolves, fairies, and zombies in The Sims 4?" they said "Maybe"
They didn't confirm anything but sounds like they might be working on some new occult stuff. Why even mention it otherwise?
But then they said "stay tuned for a relaxing refresh of one of our existing game packs"

What the heck does that mean?
Forum Resident
#11128 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 8:44 PM
SneakyWingPhoenix I don't know, for me the sims 1 are separate. I consider them outside the rest of 3d games that are basically a kind of version of the sims 2.
(Although that does not mean that does not respect them. I hated Get Famous precisely because I expected something as good as Superstar and didn't get it)
Lab Assistant
#11129 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lexylu
For a question "Will there be werewolves, fairies, and zombies in The Sims 4?" they said "Maybe"
They didn't confirm anything but sounds like they might be working on some new occult stuff. Why even mention it otherwise?
But then they said "stay tuned for a relaxing refresh of one of our existing game packs"

The means they absolutely have no plan.

Taiwan Soul!
Test Subject
#11130 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 10:34 PM
Maybe if they did packs and families/lore etc. well/correctly the first time, they wouldn’t need to go back and fix them.
Field Researcher
#11131 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 10:35 PM
"Relaxing refresh" sounds like "Spa Day". What the hell would you update on that? IT would've been nicer to be Dine out (desperately needed) or Parenthood.
Forum Resident
#11132 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 10:48 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
SneakyWingPhoenix I don't know, for me the sims 1 are separate. I consider them outside the rest of 3d games that are basically a kind of version of the sims 2.
(Although that does not mean that does not respect them. I hated Get Famous precisely because I expected something as good as Superstar and didn't get it)

Funnily I consider not just 1 but also 2 as seperate...

Cuz they actually were games with actual vision and heart behind them. 3 and 4 wish their devs had that level of passion, heart. and creativity, rather than being just recycling! lol

For the record, I firmly think Apartment Life was the last truly great creative EP ever to come out of The Sims' series, (though just barely. I initially thought Seasons, but then remembered how new and different Apartmnets really were even if the magic system is half assed), with the exception of a few creative highs like World Adventures, Ambitions, Island Paradise, the rest has been completely bereft of any creativity at all, either copying from itself or other media pretty much exclusively. Just recycling everything over and over... You wouldn't see anything new like the cowplant, or 1950's appliance styled magic tools, or the renuyosenso orb and grilled cheese aspiration... The growable meat wall is the closest you'll get, but you can tell that was more of a pragmatic decision than a creative one.
Instructor
#11133 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dockamorpher
Maybe if they did packs and families/lore etc. well/correctly the first time, they wouldn’t need to go back and fix them.

They might be able to improve them or add to them if the pack was made with only the 32bit limit at the time that pack came out, so packs before University I expect, or even the Base game.
Field Researcher
#11134 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lexylu

That they are patching something inexpensive (probably recycled) into an existing game pack so they can run new ads
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11135 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 2:31 PM
Spa Day serves it purpose. All they should add is more things for Sims to do autonomously on the lot (onsen, hot tub, etc.).

What desperately needs an update is Dine Out. I feel like all I do as a player is talking to Sims. Talk to them to promote them. Talk to them to give them free meals. Talk to them to get better reviews. I don't feel like I'm interacting with anything in the business.

I can't seat guests for optimal service.
I can't directly cook or control the meals.
I can't hire or pay for competent staff, or active Sims.
I can't run a family business.

What can I do with my business, Maxis?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#11136 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Funnily I consider not just 1 but also 2 as seperate...

Cuz they actually were games with actual vision and heart behind them. 3 and 4 wish their devs had that level of passion, heart. and creativity, rather than being just recycling! lol

I never understand why people dismiss TS3 as a legitimate entry to the franchise. It might not be the dollhouse that TS2 was or have the same depth to the interactions overall, but the complexity of the game is still on par with 1 and 2. Just because the devs were following the trend of open world at the time doesn't mean it wasn't a good thing for them to try anyway. And besides, TS3's concept of open world is not commonplace. You don't have hundreds of people being actively simulated at once. Sims going about with their own lives makes the world's feel more dynamic.

And with the packs, some of them weren't particularly noteworthy, sure (Lookin' at you Showtime). But they were solid packs that gave people what they wanted and are entertaining. Which is more than a lot of TS4 and its packs can say.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Theorist
#11137 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
I never understand why people dismiss TS3 as a legitimate entry to the franchise. It might not be the dollhouse that TS2 was or have the same depth to the interactions overall, but the complexity of the game is still on par with 1 and 2. Just because the devs were following the trend of open world at the time doesn't mean it wasn't a good thing for them to try anyway. And besides, TS3's concept of open world is not commonplace. You don't have hundreds of people being actively simulated at once. Sims going about with their own lives makes the world's feel more dynamic.

And with the packs, some of them weren't particularly noteworthy, sure (Lookin' at you Showtime). But they were solid packs that gave people what they wanted and are entertaining. Which is more than a lot of TS4 and its packs can say.

Because instead of a deep life simulation it introduced collecting silly items (diamonds and rubies lying around on the street, growing sharks and steak on plants) puzzle mechanics (the tombs in World Adventures), pretended that text boxes and CYOA messages displayed while a Sim hid in a face Rabbit Hole were "features", and the general Yoursim idea where instead of a family, the game focuses on People exploring worlds with their Young Adult Yoursim Avatar.

A good portion of the things wrong in Sims 4 have their roots in Sims 3.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#11138 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Because instead of a deep life simulation it introduced collecting silly items (diamonds and rubies lying around on the street, growing sharks and steak on plants) puzzle mechanics (the tombs in World Adventures), pretended that text boxes and CYOA messages displayed while a Sim hid in a face Rabbit Hole were "features", and the general Yoursim idea where instead of a family, the game focuses on People exploring worlds with their Young Adult Yoursim Avatar.

A good portion of the things wrong in Sims 4 have their roots in Sims 3.

See, most of that just reads to me as not preferring the mechanical side of how TS3 works. You're a family player, fine. You like meaningful interactions between Sims and their families and friends. But stating that TS3 is a bad game like it's some objective fact over preferential differences is just silly. As if that's the only way people are supposed to play the game. The game also didn't revolve around those collecting features, they were completely optional. If you wanted a Sim that did nothing more than wake up everyday and go to work and come home and kiss their spouse goodnight, you can do that. The game isn't forcing you to collect those diamonds. And what's the big deal with everyone with rabbitholes anyways? OFB was and is a great EP for TS2, but after a while the novelty of running everything can grow stale. The whole point of rabbitholes in the first place was to emphasize TS3's open world design philosophy so you wouldn't have to be constantly controlling every Sim in a household.

A good portion of TS4's problems stem from being a retooled online game and the team being outright lazy with adding features, everyone knows this nowadays. Plus the even more heavy focus on YA interactions and partying than even TS3, though nowadays the focus on marketing to children specifically has overtaken that even. And while the TS3 devs cut corners in some places, they at least had a valid excuse for how complex open world simulation is. TS4 really has no excuse.

Forum Resident
#11139 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 7:42 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 4th Aug 2021 at 8:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95

I'm not saying The Sims 3 isn't legitimate, just that it isn't very creative, or made with much passion for life simulation. It is 100% designed by committee and it's easy enough to tell. I would also argue it's not a good sequel even if it is an okay game on it's own merits. I would also also agree with Orphalesion's sentiment that a lot of the problems with 4 originated with 3. But none of this is to say 3 is illegitimate. Overrated AF? Definitely. The seed that grew into The Sims 4? Absolutely! But not illegitimate, and not even that bad as a game...

It was just bad for the series as a whole in the long run since it set a lot of shitty precedents, and I don't really think it can be ingenuously considered part of the same series as 1 and 2 because it is so fundamentally different. It truly is more like a spinoff than a sequel, and 4 is awkwardly (and badly) trying to straddle the line between these disparate ideas of what a Sims game looks like, whilst amplifying every bad game design precedent 3 set forth, but with less content, because they learned they can get away with it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11140 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 9:23 PM
Hmm, I thought Sims 3 was the natural successor to Sims 2. The basegame had pretty much everything that the Sims 2 basegame had, but this time you had the whole world to walk around and explore (and yes, pick things up). Sims 2 was better than Sims 1 because we could make our own worlds for our sims, and choose where we put the houses, and who lives next to the park and who lives next to the main road. Sims 3 was better than Sims 2 because you could actually run to the park and meet friends in their homes, and you could see where your sim went to work. And, unlike Sims 2, you didn't have to buy a different game (SC4) to make a totally custom world- they gave us the world builder program.
Sims 4 was a big let down for me, because I couldn't change the sky or the grass or move houses around, whereas I had been able to previously. And, the teenagers looked exactly the same as their parents.
Forum Resident
#11141 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
I'm not saying The Sims 3 isn't legitimate, just that it isn't very creative, or made with much passion for life simulation. It is 100% designed by committee and it's easy enough to tell. I would also argue it's not a good sequel even if it is an okay game on it's own merits. I would also also agree with Orphalesion's sentiment that a lot of the problems with 4 originated with 3. But none of this is to say 3 is illegitimate. Overrated AF? Definitely. The seed that grew into The Sims 4? Absolutely! But not illegitimate, and not even that bad as a game...

It was just bad for the series as a whole in the long run since it set a lot of shitty precedents, and I don't really think it can be ingenuously considered part of the same series as 1 and 2 because it is so fundamentally different. It truly is more like a spinoff than a sequel, and 4 is awkwardly (and badly) trying to straddle the line between these disparate ideas of what a Sims game looks like, whilst amplifying every bad game design precedent 3 set forth, but with less content, because they learned they can get away with it.

I really don't know that I'd call it "Overrated AF", considering the amount of people that frequently go on a tangent on reddit or wherever about it being ugly and lifeless and whatever else is frequently thrown around. The people that hate it far outweighs those that like it. It's basically the Oblivion of Sims games.

I can respect that people have different preferences, really. And I'm not here to say one way of playing is the right one or whatever. But I feel like TS3 gets way more hate than it deserves. Whether you consider it a more casual experience than what came before or not, it at the very least knew what it wanted to be from the start. It was an open world Sims game, and that's what it was built around. It was the natural progression of the series by taking your Sims out of their confined houses and letting them explore their world. Meanwhile, TS4 only had emotions because online was scrapped and they needed a concept to sell the base game.

The thing that I feel people don't consider is that if TS3 and even TS4 had been released as extensions of TS2 rather than doing their own things, I 1000% guarantee they wouldn't have been well received. Everything would have occurred exactly the same way with industry standards changing over the years. So everything would've been relentlessly compared to TS2 and come up short everytime because it's quite obvious that The Sims has hit its peak a long time ago for some people, some sooner than others. So it's really a case of "Do you do more of the same, knowing it won't be well received?" Or do you try something different for once in the hopes of getting renewed interest.

Test Subject
#11142 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 10:38 PM
I did always have the viewpoint of TS3 being a letdown from TS2, but I've changed my mind. I can see where some of cut corners led to even more in TS4. But really, imo, TS3 oftentimes suffers from doing too much. There's so many features that a lot them feel empty, because there's too much of a broad scope. TS4 on the other hand is just purely empty. They deep dive into the most random features, and then everything else just doesn't happen.
I do definitely agree that TS3 has some missing detail (which I feel like, in some cases can be forgiven due to major features being gained in their place). But it's not even detail that TS4 lacks, it's... everything that it lacks.
All of the games need some major help in the modding area to be actually enjoyable. I have far more gameplay mods in TS2 than in TS3. I think TS1 would be more popular if it was able to be modded in the same way. Changing full game behavior vs. hacked objects are a very different vibe.
Mad Poster
#11143 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 10:51 PM
UM why is the 3 vs other versions being debated again for the zillionth time, and here in the 4 EP thread? This debate has gone on for years and nobody is going to change anyone's mind on this. Time to move on. If you like it, as I do, play it, and if no, don't.
Mad Poster
#11144 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 12:12 PM
It will be comparable for as long it's called The Sims Four. Ppl will bring up the debate whether it is comparable.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11145 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dockamorpher
They deep dive into the most random feature...

When laundry is deeper than your Sims.

Field Researcher
#11146 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 3:16 PM
They desperately need to update weddings as well. It's so chaotic and horribly designed.

I can imagine in their rush to release the base game just threw in the object arch and did not think of any mechanics or ways to make it work like in The Sims 2. *sigh*
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11147 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by toxicboy
They desperately need to update weddings as well. It's so chaotic and horribly designed.

I can imagine in their rush to release the base game just threw in the object arch and did not think of any mechanics or ways to make it work like in The Sims 2. *sigh*

A pack about weddings and big parties could have easily fixed this, and it would have sold hand over fist. Player take weddings in game as seriously as they take their own and we haven’t have much for them since launch.

We have wedding fireworks from City Living, and…?

Theorist
#11148 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
When laundry is deeper than your Sims.

Ooof! When something looks like a dead animal carcass has more depth than a sim...
Test Subject
#11149 Old 18th Aug 2021 at 1:11 PM
Well i have been scrolling down this thread and to be honest @Volvenom has a point. This is really the place to drag the sims 4 down or to watch the ''downfall'' of the sims4. I mean some of the points are valid but it just seems like its a place for people who

1. Dont purchase the packs
2. Dont play the game
3. Already think the game is flawed and there is nothing that can save this iteration
4. But somewhat still follow every single News about this iteration because ''We care about the franchise'' just to have a new ''Whats wrong with the sims 4 here... Whats wrong with the sims 4 that... Opinion..

Contribute something positive as written somewhere?... its clear that when someone looks at something positive it doesnt get nearly as much likes as when someone complains.

People that defend the game like it affects them on a personal lvl... well it can go both ways.
Why y'all keep invested with the sims 4 even though some of you seem like people that fall into the category 3 i do not know. But y'all have fun complaining about a game and call it feedback. We are 7 years in, one should know how the sims 4 plays out. It is what it is at some point. Move on.

Lol wont come to this forum again. learned my lesson. Have fun y'all, misery loves company after all.

I am not trying to fight anyone, but some of this comments here are nasty.
Theorist
#11150 Old 18th Aug 2021 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PreCiious

Lol wont come to this forum again. learned my lesson. Have fun y'all, misery loves company after all.

I am not trying to fight anyone, but some of this comments here are nasty.

Right, you just stopped by to complain. I guess you missed the part of the problem with complainers complaining about complaining while scrolling. Also, we don't need / care about announcements that you won't be back. Just leave and close the door behind you.

Buh-bye!
Locked thread
Page 446 of 447