Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 8:23 PM
Default Origin did me dirty...
Hi folks,

Apologies if this is the wrong section but I thought to put it here because it is technically a problem, although solved for now, and I just wanted to see if any others have encountered the same issue as I feel I may end up with this happening again soon...

I bought Cottage Living last week and had been playing it fine up until Wednesday night. Everything was running smoothly as usual, I had all the Origin updates/patches etc. and no signs of any problems. I have most S/G/EPs and don't experience any real lag or crashing. I switched off my PC as usual Tuesday night and when I tried to launch the game on Wednesday night, I got an error message telling me that essentially the shortcut was broken. I tried to launch again from the Origin dashboard as my desktop shortcut had now disappeared, and an error message told me to download the Legacy version. I could've cried as it told me my game no longer existed. Poking around in my system files I found that the game itself was gone but all save folders etc. were left behind.
I went back to the Origin dashboard and used the "repair" option for the game and everything was back to normal within 15 mins - shortcut was back and game was running fine, all saves intact.

So after my mini heart attack, I was wondering if anyone else had had the same issue, particularly recently, and did you find out the hows and whys? I would have put it down to perhaps a recent patch or update but I had played the game since the last patch, more than once, with no issues at all.

Extra info: I don't use CC or mods and my system specs are decent enough to play the game on high settings with no issues. I would never have expected to need the Legacy version.

Thank you in advance for any shared experiences!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 3:18 PM
Have not had your particular issue, but Origin have many reported issues with computer security programs, and when I searched on your issue I got a couple of hits, and with solution to make exceptions and repair/reinstall the game with the anti virus program disabled, and disable all Origin automatic updates. Deleting Origin cache is a staple troubleshooting step for anything regarding Origin.