Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#27 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 10:02 PM
We have movement on the AHQ front -- the helper I was hoping would respond was just taking a bit of time off. She seems to agree that the issues to address, in order, are

-- the C++ errors, with a suggested install/reinstall of the older C++ framework that TS3 requires
-- possible registry problems

But I will leave you in her more than capable hands.

I wouldn't delve into what the exact registry entries say and agree with Nitromon that what can look like a mess to us is often the way it's meant to be with these older games that have gone through so much in their evolution and platforms over the past decade. It may very well still be that an uninstall, total registry clean, reinstall is required but we're not really ready to conclude that yet.

I will add though that players on Patch 1.69 cannot start the game with a TS3w.exe bypass shortcut. That's the 1.67 and prior way to start the game. On 1.69, the game must be started by way of Origin. No way around that. It's been that way since Jan 2016, and that's an issue that does cause grief when the required handoffs from Origin to the Launcher to TS3.exe (without the "w") do not happen as they are supposed to. If a player on 1.69 tries to start the game with a Launcher bypass now, what is supposed to happen is that the system just brings them back to Origin. That's one of the benefits of a Steam install -- the bypass way still works and we can still start the game without involving Steam or the Launcher directly. I never start mine through Steam and the only time I ever use the Launcher is when I need to interact with or add some sims3pack installs.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well I'm kind out of ideas at this moment.

I honestly don't think it is something serious enough you have to go into the registry and stuff because this is an old game and many people are running it on various platforms and we've pretty much seen all kinds of issues. I mean, I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If you have updated and reinstalled most of the system and game component, it should just work.

The error is very identical to the common black screen crash error on a new run that has been around for a long time, sadly EA didn't even bother to fix it in the 1.69 patch. The fix was to change the fullscreen to 0, which you have done, but the game still boots up in fullscreen. It tells me that it is not reading the options.ini file. The most common issue is that it is actually reading options.ini in another folder somewhere else.

The only other options are generic, but if you haven't tried it.
1) Update all your drivers - specifically GPU drivers, directx, etc...
2) Run in compatibility mode - Win 7

Otherwise you can try to continue resolving the options.ini issue:
1) Scan your whole HDD/cloud/onedrive etc... for options.ini, hopefully you will find the actual one.

or if not:

2) delete the options.ini you currently have. Run the game. See if it creates a new one to replace it.

If it doesn't, it means it is the wrong options.ini and you have to find the right one.

If it does, then we have a bigger problem. It isn't as though the game cannot run in fullscreen, but it just must be initialized in windowed mode. You can also try editing the line "lastdevice" in options.ini. If you are doing this, make sure you do it before updating your GPU else you will have a different driver version.

lastdevice = 0;10de;1b80;6109

basically it is vendor: 10de, device 1b80, driver version: 6109

But again, if the game is not reading the options.ini it doesn't really matter.

Hi, nitromon,
I think so it makes the biggest sense the problem being related to the Options.ini, even though switching the command manually, it doesn’t obey the command; the thing is that the launcher makes a process of which I cannot know what’s its sequence, on level of loader, after pressing play, I think so it doesn’t get to go forward because something it’s not in its due position, something like a “boot”, I indeed don’t know the visual c++ tool straight, that builds these apps, in mode that I don’t get to understand the manageable form in the sequence of this kind of installing, I’m more used to that InstallShield kind, kind of Delphi, things from the ancient times.. since these managers, such as origin, steam [..] passed to manage things up, I really haven’t the slightest idea of which pathway is it running, why is it wanting to find and isn’t finding..? even because, I’ve followed the correct procedures, even because, it was EA itself who managed the download and installing process, after -as I’ve already said- the blue-screen-Windows, where I was obliged to reinstall it and pass through all the process again. And I’ve made all the updates, visual c++, .netframework, everything was well-installed, it’s all working, everything it’s update, it’s all original, they’re all registered at origin, there are also none hardware problems. I do will do a deep search in my desktop after this Options.ini, as you’ve said and I’ll see if I find more than one; and also the other procedures you've indicated.
I’m really thankful to you guys, I didn’t find many people like this. Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
We have movement on the AHQ front -- the helper I was hoping would respond was just taking a bit of time off. She seems to agree that the issues to address, in order, are

-- the C++ errors, with a suggested install/reinstall of the older C++ framework that TS3 requires
-- possible registry problems

But I will leave you in her more than capable hands.

I wouldn't delve into what the exact registry entries say and agree with Nitromon that what can look like a mess to us is often the way it's meant to be with these older games that have gone through so much in their evolution and platforms over the past decade. It may very well still be that an uninstall, total registry clean, reinstall is required but we're not really ready to conclude that yet.

I will add though that players on Patch 1.69 cannot start the game with a TS3w.exe bypass shortcut. That's the 1.67 and prior way to start the game. On 1.69, the game must be started by way of Origin. No way around that. It's been that way since Jan 2016, and that's an issue that does cause grief when the required handoffs from Origin to the Launcher to TS3.exe (without the "w") do not happen as they are supposed to. If a player on 1.69 tries to start the game with a Launcher bypass now, what is supposed to happen is that the system just brings them back to Origin. That's one of the benefits of a Steam install -- the bypass way still works and we can still start the game without involving Steam or the Launcher directly. I never start mine through Steam and the only time I ever use the Launcher is when I need to interact with or add some sims3pack installs.

Hi, igazor, thanks, I’ll go there to the front now, but I came firstly talk to you guys here,
The problem of the reinstalling is that here where I am there’s a technology problem, my internet runs at 200kb, and downloads at 90kb (I know, it’s too much suffering).. .
I’m in the middle of the amazon forest, near an indigene forest reserve, and this game it’s my fun. I work with animals and plants here.. . It will be very difficult for me having to download everything again, it took me almost 7 days to download everything, and I wanted to solve this without having to do this again, because, I have another apps, such as adobe, steinberg, music software, and they’re too heavy.
Said otherwise, having to reinstall windows and everything will be more than one month.. . but yes, would be the last option, I wanted to try, before, I’ll go there to the front talk to that expert you’ve indicated, and try to talk to him/her, see if there’s something new, some light.. . my emotional state isn’t so good, this story of covid hit my city, and.. these games have the capacity of taking us out of these things, and.. that story of Robbin Wood.. EA should’ve more respect with this game, it is the best one, better than the 4one, and even still, will be better than the 5one, and ea knows this, there’s nothing comparable to ts3, who gave possibilities for developers of the entire world being able to use it as a semi-opened platform… .in mode that, we’re discussing something more as well, the respect, and this has been always something disturbing, in the consumer’s head.
Thank you.
Page 2 of 2