Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 9:21 PM
Because I'm invested in my sims. I have a hard time imagining my investment in the game wouldn't have fizzled out at some point as a teen if I hadn't gotten started a multigenerational family from one CAS sim. I might be wrong, but what kept me coming back to the game throughout the years was because I wanted to meet those sims, hang out with them and progress their lives and the clan at large.
That in turn has rekindled my love for the game itself over and over again. It's just a damn good game.
As for why I play this and not the newer versions, it's of course mostly because this is where I've put my time before so that I have those sims I care so much for. Also out of habit since this is what I'm used to in terms of how the characters look and sound, how the gameplay works, the soundtrack, how the UI looks and functions etc. Plus I just enjoy all those things more in TS2 than in the other titles, whether that's because of habit, preference or both. I used to own The Sims 3 (first and only game I've ever pre-ordered) and played it various times but could never really get into it. I've tried The Sims 4 but it didn't do much for me, and from what I've heard in seen of it since I have no interest in it. And I'm not really the type of person to jump on new technology and/or gaming stuff for the sake of it either. The Sims 2 is 'my' Sims game. Most of the games I play and like are from the 80s' and 90s' so from my perspective, The Sims 2 is new-ish anyway. :D

I am Error.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 7:54 PM
my friend introduced it to me in 2005/2006 on her playstation 2. i was mesmerized, i didnt know games like that could exist. all i knew were sports games. we played together all the time. i got incredibly hooked so fast, when i didnt have internet after i moved, leaving my only friend behind, i'd play the sims on the mac, which is completely different from the ps2. the game brought me so much comfort in a time where things were stressful.
i would vent my love, anger, and anxieties into the sims. these days, it's, no pun intended, a modern day game of dollhouse for me. i live out fantasies, and capture those moments on camera. these sims are my babies, and i honor them to honor my old friend who i havent seen in 13 years.

22. male. he/him. autistic.
REST IN PEACE JOTARO KUJO. JUNE 2020 - JANUARY 2021.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 10:58 PM
Because it's the first sims game I ever downloaded and sims 3 and 4 could not top it even to this day.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 3:41 AM Last edited by CrystalFlame360 : 21st Sep 2021 at 3:43 AM. Reason: Typo
I love the overall charm and style of this game. Not only that, but I enjoy the pre-made characters and expanding on their stories. To add onto that, creating your own stories and neighbourhoods is fun and if you get invested enough, you get the satisfaction of having created your own little world. The memories system gives your simmies backgrounds and the Family Gallery gives more of that story building potential. Interests gives you some insight into what the sims are into and the personality system, although simplistic to some, is still fleshed out and brims with character. In short, it has strong story building tools and interesting premade stories to start you off if you want, as well as sims with fun personalities, even ones created fresh from CAS.

It's chaotic nature is a plus.

In terms of gameplay, it has a strong micro-managment system; where sims don't lose motives fast enough to make it difficult, but not slow where it's easy (I'm looking at you TS4!). So, it's fun to balance needs and tasks. It's also not predicable, so random things can happen out of player control and I like that.

And I've only scratched the surface. There are a ton of reasons why I love this game, but those were some of many reasons.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 4:37 AM
For the most part, I stay with Sims 2 because I really, really, really hate an aging neighbourhood. I want to manage every household in the neighbourhood. I like spontaneity in my Sims behaviour and use things like ACR to accomplish that, but I don't like things happening when I don't get to witness them. I also prefer the level of control I have over the neighbourhood as a whole, being able to shape it from the ground up as I play, which the other games all but did away with. And when I do go play Sims 3 and 4 for a little bit, when I come back to Sims 2 I'm always re-surprised by the unique personalities of each of my Sims, and all the animation details and personality-based autonomy. After spending a while playing Sims 3 and 4, the sims in 2 just feel like they have more life. The sims in later games just feel so flat comparatively.
Test Subject
#32 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 11:04 AM
To be frank, my current gadget/computer could not support later games (too advanced for my otherwise poor computer, even with TS2 it sometime couldn't hold) and so, I kept playing the game.

After finding mods and using them, I enjoy the game even more now.
Test Subject
#33 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 1:10 PM
Well i can't get enough custom kinky gigity gigity so i try that with my sims ,and thats why i play . i create scenes etc ..its the most overwhelming reason for me.????
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 2nd Nov 2021 at 7:05 AM
If nothing else, I have total control of my sim world, my game is completely offline, and I really like the design style rather than today's cartoony look to many popular games.

Sims 2 is one of my all time favorite games. I keep coming back to it as it is very satisfying to play. Other games leave me feeling I wasted my time and could have done something better with it. I really enjoy the City Building aspect of the game. I love Simcity 4, and the fact that it can be combined with Sims 2 just makes it all the more enjoyable. I have a lot of medical issues and chronic pain and this game, when I can sit up long enough at my desk, is a great form of therapy. It distracts my brain from pain and I get to use the analytical side for planning out the zones, designing various R,C, and I buildings for many uses and needs, and creating different demographic profiles of my cities. I can just build a city for the sake of building it and never need to play sims in it, unless just for exploration sake. Then I can also combine the play and build aspect and do a bacc, which I can't imagine doing in any other Sims game. All the quirky little behaviors just make for sweet, hysterical moments, like a dad waving to his infant son when he passes by the crib!

Besides, I still have yet to complete my own personal challenge: Project SC4. I am trying to create all playable SimCity4 buildings into my Sims 2 world. All the buildings must be fully formed inside and out and if my sims go there it will have the proper decor and objects for its purpose. The buildings come in handy for my bacc as I can just plop them down when I get a Lot point. It's slow going, but I like the journey so far.

No chemicals or GMOs in my sims' food.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 2nd Nov 2021 at 5:59 PM
I started playing the sims when the sims 2 was nearing it's end. And when Sims 3 came out I was very excited and solely played that. I was excited for each new pack. But, I found I missed Sims 2. I love Sims 2 and 3. I have Sims 4. I can not for the life of me get into it. I've tried multiple times and bought some expansion packs. It's like it has no soul at all (imo). The sims lack personality. sims 2 just has some charm that makes it my favorite now. I enjoy playing rotationally, being so in control of all the little pixels, creating storylines. Sims 3 I enjoy when I just want to play one household legacy style. I do enjoy both. I play them differently. I honesty get confused seeing people play Sims 2 now the way I use Sims 3 to play, thanks to having story progression mod. My brain goes "Why not just play Sims 3 if that's what you want?" but of course to each their own. It's a game, meant to played however one finds fun. And with Sims 2 there are so many options. Rotational play can add drama and never getting bored of a family because there is another to play. There's a ton of mods and cc out, and still more being made. An active community, that is mostly positive (from what I see).

So now I mostly play Sims 2, sometimes I go back to Sims 3 and have fond memories of it. Sims 4 collects virtual dust.

My Simblr
He/They
Test Subject
#36 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 12:53 PM
There is something about Sims 2 that makes it different from the other games. I've played Sims 3 and 4 but no where near to the amount I've played Sims 2. I feel that the sims are more...realistic in the sims 2? If that makes sense? I feel their facial expressions and motions are more fluid. I'm honestly not sure if this is the case in Sims 3 and 4 since I haven't played in so long, but even when sims stand idle they make expressions or stretch or some other motion. I also feel more in control of the game in Sims 2...which I never really felt in the other games. I can choose if I want to control the sims or let them be, but in 3 and 4 I always feel like I have to run behind my sims to get them to do what I want. Even though CAS and building tools are significantly better in 3 and 4 I'm actually quite satisfied what 2 has to offer so it's never been a huge problem for me. That and there are so many mods and cc out there to make up for it.
Page 2 of 2