Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postal System for the Sims - Greetings Cards

by MogHughson Posted 11th Jan 2010 at 11:39 PM - Updated 22nd Aug 2010 at 6:27 PM by MogHughson : Changed from "In testing" to "Finished" - all the initial bugettes seem to have been ironed out now.

277 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 236 Feedback Posts, 40 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 12
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#26 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 1:56 PM Last edited by maxon : 12th Jan 2010 at 2:27 PM.
Smashing - thanks.

Edited to add - I just made a Get Well Card following your instructions (clear enough for me, a fairly experienced SimPE user, though I suspect there are one or two missed points that you might put in for absolute beginners - like remembering to save after commiting the changes!). Now I'm going to test it in game and will let you know if it worked.
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 2:54 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 12th Jan 2010 at 3:34 PM.
The picture on the card didn't work out as I expected, but it turns up in my game. I had some trouble with the correct height and width. Can you give me some advice to make the picture work ok?
I can send the card in my game but until I couldn't receive it. Does it come with the paper delivery or the bill delivery?
It just doesn't turn up

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Instructor
THANKS POST
#28 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 3:18 PM
This is a fantastic idea -- thank you so much!
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
The picture on the card didn't work out as I expected, but it turns up in my game. I had some trouble with the correct height and width. Can you give me some advice to make the picture work ok?
I can send the card in my game but until I couldn't receive it. Does it come with the paper delivery or the bill delivery?
It just doesn't turn up
The best advice I would give is to fill the pink area in the example .png files - that big block of colour represents the front page of the greetings card. If that's not what you are refering to when you say "make the picture work OK" then either a screen shot or just your package to take a look will help me to help you further.

As for delivery, it should arrive with the mail man, but also it should come before your next bill is due - i.e. this could make the mail man come on non-bill days. I have seen very occaisional problems with post not being delivered and when I sent another card to the same address (to try to debug it) it turned up with the second card, so maybe the post is not perfect - or maybe that is just like reality!!

I expect to spend more time in general working on this mod, so if I get to the bottom of any issues like that I will of course correct them. But either way I'd always be interested to hear any problems like the ones you report.

Cheers
Mog

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 5:15 PM
OK, I'll try to send some more cards then.
In the meantime I took your advice to change the pink square to have a picture on the postcard. It's too bad that the picture has to be so small, but I'll manage.
Thanks for the help and the quick reply. I will let you know whether I have more problems and whether the postcards are received.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#31 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
As for delivery, it should arrive with the mail man, but also it should come before your next bill is due - i.e. this could make the mail man come on non-bill days. I have seen very occaisional problems with post not being delivered and when I sent another card to the same address (to try to debug it) it turned up with the second card, so maybe the post is not perfect - or maybe that is just like reality!!

Ah - right, I had this problem with the first one. I'll try again. I was pleased with how my graphics came out though.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 6:40 PM
I can't start my game anymore. I deleted this download and it worked again. It doesn't have to do with my own card because it didn't work without that packagefile as well. I don't know what it is, but I'll wait a bit longer to try this download again.

#33 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 7:10 PM
::nab:: -- another Must-Have Hack by MogHughson!

"Everyone on the Creator Feedback Forum who helped me design this, with particular thanks to Gwenke33 and GeneralOperationsDirector."
::blush::

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 7:11 PM
It's really great I love it, but why doesn't it work anymore in my game?

Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 7:46 PM
That's a lovely mod, really enhancing the game! Thank you!

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 8:04 PM
Does it work in your game then? It doesn't in mine anymore and I tried over three times now.

#37 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 8:09 PM
You DO have the Christmas Cards, too, yes?

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 8:32 PM
I can't start my game anymore. I deleted this download and it worked again. It doesn't have to do with my own card because it didn't work without that packagefile as well. I don't know what it is, but I'll wait a bit longer to try this download again.
Hi there, sorry, I was not on the site for a couple of hours - have seen your plight now. Can you give more details. What happened when you couldn't start your game anymore? Any error messages? What did the game report? The more you can tell me, the more I will be able to help. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this problem.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 8:48 PM
Ok I have everything of sims 2 except Mansion and Garden.
I double click the shortcut to appartmentslife. I get the first screen where I see how many SP's and EP's I have. Then I click on "play" and normally the introductionfilm should start but it doesn't. It doesn't matter how long I wait. The computer just doesn't do anything anymore. When I double click on the shortcut again and click on play again nothing happens. When I delete the download, it doesn't work yet. before I used this download for the very first time this afternoon I made a back Up. I have to put this back up in the map EA Games to let my game work again.
It's really weird.

#40 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 8:51 PM
Something more is involved. Directions are available. Check out the spoilers in the original post.

Edit: I believe that I was replying to joninmobile`s now-deleted post.

Edit: lientebollemeis, try launching the game directly, instead of through the Launcher.

Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:04 PM
How do you do that? I tried to use the shortcut and after that I tried the launcer. How do I start the game directly?
And why can't I start it with the shortcut anymore?

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:06 PM
My medieval sims thank you most heartily for this. And I do, too. Great job!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#43 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:10 PM
Lientebollemeis did you try deleting groups.cache?

Also, you start the game directly by double-clicking on the game exe in the game files (on the C disk as opposed to My Documents). You can alter the shortcut on the desktop to point to the game exe instead of the launcher. The launcher is known to have issues.
#44 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:17 PM
All the Sims 2 Launcher does, really, is waste resources for no good reason. Assuming that FreeTime is your newest expansion [it doesn`t matter what order you install them in, but it does matter which one is built to know about all of the earlier ones] and that you installed it into the usual place [and that I remembered correctly; my game is NOT installed into the usual place!], launch C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\The Sims™ 2 FreeTime\TSBin\Sims2EP7.exe. If I got it wrong, that should be enough to help you find the right place anyway.

Banned
#45 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:21 PM
I notice in your policy, you say share only on mts. Would it be okay to share some recolors of your greeting cards on sexysims, since it's kind of like mts sister site?
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:23 PM
Well then I noticed that I never used the launcher. I have a shortcut to the exe file. I always had. I now the right place but it doesn't work in anyway: shortcut or directly, exe or launcher.
I don't understand why I have to start deleting files like groups.cache. My game worked fine with the download this afternoon and suddenly it didn't. Now it works still fine but without the download.

#47 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:34 PM
groups.cache can get corrupted information in it occasionally, and that corrupted information sticks around and messes up the game. I routinely delete my groups.cache file after every play session just to prevent that possibility, and I have had far fewer crashes since starting that than I had before. It is supposed to make the game load faster, but in practice, it just makes the game more crash-prone. Also, it is mandatory to delete the file after removing certain kinds of custom content, as that file will remember bits of the custom content and make the game behave as if it were still there even when it isn`t. This can be a real problem when those bits of custom content depend on bits that didn`t get remembered.

As for using the launcher, your message in post #39 sounds like you do start via the Launcher, as I never see anything that tells me which Stuff Packs and Expansion Packs I have installed unless I do use the launcher [which I almost never do, except by accident].

Gotta go. Be back tomorrow.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#48 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:35 PM Last edited by maxon : 12th Jan 2010 at 9:44 PM. Reason: Ninja'd by GOD
I don't understand why I have to start deleting files like groups.cache. My game worked fine with the download this afternoon and suddenly it didn't. Now it works still fine but without the download.

Groups.cache occasionally gets corrupted - for most people - and will stop the game from launching. It happens, I think, in particular, if you mod the game a lot: putting hacks in and taking hacks out. Sound familiar? Try deleting the file (it does no harm whatsoever) and you might be surprised.

I also had the impression you loaded from the launcher from your description. I don't get a loading screen like the one you describe, the game just launches straight into the 'EA Games blah blah everything' mini video screen. And that's only just because I haven't disabled that after I installed M&G. I don't get the video that follows, just the scrolling load screen.
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:37 PM
I'll try that tomorrow. It's half past ten here (in the evening) :p
I never hacked before myself I just use downloads a lot. It happened before but then I just didn't use that bad download anymore. But I like this one very much.
I'll try it tomorrow when I get home. I'll let you know what it says.

Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:44 PM
Ok apparantly I was wrong about that shortcut thing. it's indeed the launcher. But when I go to TSBin whether I use Sims2Launcher or Sims2EP8 it just doesn't work.
I hope deleting the groups.cache thing works.

Page 2 of 12