Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postal System for the Sims - Greetings Cards

by MogHughson Posted 11th Jan 2010 at 11:39 PM - Updated 22nd Aug 2010 at 6:27 PM by MogHughson : Changed from "In testing" to "Finished" - all the initial bugettes seem to have been ironed out now.

277 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 236 Feedback Posts, 40 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 12
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#51 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 9:46 PM
To be fair, Lientebollemeis, it's not a bad download, just a bit of badly designed game system. MogH's mods are terrific.
Banned
#52 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 9:40 AM
I have a problem, I've tried to send these letters to someone, but they never arrive! I tried 3 different times, but the sendee never got their cards. So I finally just gave up.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:01 AM
Can those of you having issues with cards not being delivered run a conflict test for me please? I wonder whether the update to the mail box (which is what triggers the delivery) is clashing with something else (perhaps buyable mailboxes?) and so not happening. I've seen very occaisional undelivered cards which turned up later, but three in a row, sounds like a real issue. The other thing you could do for me, joninmobile and others, is go to the lot of the addressee where the cards never showed up and cause a reset on anything, like a sofa or something inanimate, with boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true, to force a log to be generated then send me it so I can see the lot dump. If the greetings card is not in the lot dump (you can do a find on Greetings Card yourself if you wish) then the trigger to cause the delivery has not run to pull the data out of the inventory and create the card object ready for delivery. This would also point at an issue with the mailbox code.

Cheers
Mog

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Top Secret Researcher
#54 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 11:52 AM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 13th Jan 2010 at 2:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
To be fair, Lientebollemeis, it's not a bad download, just a bit of badly designed game system. MogH's mods are terrific.

Yeah, I think MogH's mods are indeed terrific. It's just that I don't want to take any risks with downloads anymore. You can't blame me for being careful.

And indeed I have a buyable mailbox. So I'll delete that download.
Are there any other downloads that can clash with yours?

I tried this download without the buyable mailbox but still I didn't receive the post. But I don't understand what you mean with the post should arrive before the bills?
So the post won't come on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday?
Is there a cheat to let the post come immediatly?

Do the sender and receiver have to be friends?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
And indeed I have a buyable mailbox. So I'll delete that download.
Are there any other downloads that can clash with yours?
I know of no others, and I am not sure whether the buyable mailbox clashes yet - if it is the whole mailbox package cloned then it will. Running a conflict test to see if you have any others would be useful. Let me know if you need pointers for this - I'll dig them out.

I tried this download without the buyable mailbox but still I didn't receive the post. But I don't understand what you mean with the post should arrive before the bills?
So the post won't come on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday?
The post will be delivered any day except Sunday if there is post to be delivered, this could be greetings cards or bills.
Is there a cheat to let the post come immediatly?
There is actually - if you bring up the Debug Menuwiki on the mail box and choose Create NPC.../Mail Carrier, then mail will be delivered immediately - I think it also changes the day to the next bill creating day though, so I would be careful with this one.

Do the sender and receiver have to be friends?
No only knowledge of the other Sim is required to send a card. If you can choose the person from the address book, then it's good.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 7:23 PM
I think I have that Debug Menu on my mailbox all the time. Maybe that's the problem? I just don't know how to delete that.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 8:02 PM
I think I have that Debug Menu on my mailbox all the time. Maybe that's the problem? I just don't know how to delete that.
That just means you are running with the testingCheatsEnabled all the time (see here -> Debug Menuwiki). That shouldn't be an issue. You choose the debug pie-menu by holding down the <Shift> key when you click on the object. If the debug menu is coming up all the time when you are not holding down the <Shift> key then there is definitely something else going on with your mailbox. Do you have any other mail box related downloads? A conflict test would be really useful at this point I think.

Cheers
Mog

Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 8:34 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 13th Jan 2010 at 9:07 PM.
I don't think I have other downloads related to the mailbox. I'll do a conflict test.
Can you just say again how I have to do that? I caused an error on the sofa and then pressed Reset, but nothing happened.

I'll try this download on another account of my computer. There I start the sims all over and empty again. Just to check.

Banned
#59 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 9:21 PM
The first two times I tried to send a card, I had my "No More Repo Man" in my downloads folder, which causes the time left to pay on bills to be set to 9,999 days. I figured that must be the reason, so I took it out, and I tried another 3 times to send, and I still was unable to get the cards delivered. I sent you the logs Mog, maybe you can see what's going on.
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 9:42 PM
How do you make such logs?
I tried the download in my game with the postsystem as the only download in my folder and it worked perfectly. So it's definatly because of another download but I have over 2000 downloads.
Please help me find those logs to find the download which causes this problem.

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:13 PM
How do you make such logs?
I tried the download in my game with the postsystem as the only download in my folder and it worked perfectly. So it's definatly because of another download but I have over 2000 downloads.
Please help me find those logs to find the download which causes this problem.
That's excellent news - it confirms we are looking for a conflict. I took at look at the log you generated from the sofa - allowed me to see every object on that lot - and it also confirmed that the code I wrote in the mailbox had not run, so I suspect very strongly that we are looking for a conflict with the mailbox.

Have a read of this and then go to the link for the Hack COnflict Detection Utility and download the utility. The link takes you to the front page, the click on Sims2 button in top-left, then click on "Programs" in the main page, and you will be taken to a page which has the utility about three rows down.

Cheers
Mog

Top Secret Researcher
#62 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:29 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 13th Jan 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Where did you see the logs?
I think I have a way to find what download causes the conflict. I always organise my downloads. It's gonna take a while but I'll manage.

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:42 PM
Where did you see the logs?
Are you looking for the log from the sofa test? or the results from the Hack Conflict Utility? I am happy for you to go straight to the Hack Confict Utility at this point - I think we are sure it is a conflict from your excellent research to date.

Top Secret Researcher
#64 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:46 PM
I am looking for the log from the sofa test.

Banned
#65 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:48 PM
I downloaded the hack conflict program, and it said, 0 hacks conflict. Of course I did take out my no more repo man. I'll try it with no repo man in there, and tell you what I get.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 11:23 PM
I am looking for the log from the sofa test.
It'll be in your Sims install directory/EA Games/The Sims 2/Logs and wil have a name like ObjectError_N009_t391538.txt. The pop up window that you pressed Reset on would have told you the actual name. It will do no harm to repeat the test and generate another on.

Banned
#67 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 12:29 AM
Ok I got this error when I put my no more repo man in there:

Sims 2 Hack Conflict Detection Utility - Version 2.00.03

Error: 53
File not found: SWsupport.dll

Module: modSimsPackage
Procedure: gfstrDecompressFile

Install Path: C:\Users\Jonathan\Documents
Data Path: C:\Users\Jonathan\Documents
Sims Path: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Double Deluxe\Base\
Field Researcher
#68 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 2:42 AM
Hurray hurray I have been waiting for something like this for years! I had just about given up. This is definatly one of the most fantastic, wonderful download since the great postcards made by MaryLou & Numenor. I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Field Researcher
#69 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Groups.cache occasionally gets corrupted - for most people - and will stop the game from launching. It happens, I think, in particular, if you mod the game a lot: putting hacks in and taking hacks out. Sound familiar? Try deleting the file (it does no harm whatsoever) and you might be surprised.

I also had the impression you loaded from the launcher from your description. I don't get a loading screen like the one you describe, the game just launches straight into the 'EA Games blah blah everything' mini video screen. And that's only just because I haven't disabled that after I installed M&G. I don't get the video that follows, just the scrolling load screen.

same thing happens to me everytime I play, I just do what you do
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
Ok I got this error when I put my no more repo man in there:
Doesn't sound like a conflict - sounds like the utility is trying to tell you something. Suggest ask the owner or post on a forum here and see if anyone knows what it means. Do you have a link to the "no repo man" mod - I can in parallel take a look manually and see if it is a clash.

The fact that the utility said 0 clashes doesn't unfortunately mean there are none - just that it couldn't detect any. If a package is overwriting a default object by cloning the package and keeping the old GUID, then the utility doesn't detect the clash because one has the group number set as per the base game and the other has the group number set to 0xFFFFFFFF.

Banned
#71 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 2:03 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#72 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 3:34 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 14th Jan 2010 at 4:56 PM.
I found out which download causes the problem. and it has indeed something to do with the debug mode on the mailbox because when I delete that download I don't have that debug menu anymore (all the time). 7404 downloads and I have mangaged to find the one download that causes the problem :D
I don't think I'll miss this download so I just remove it.

And if you want, I can send that download to you to have a look for the clash.

In the meantime I thought about another categroy named "Fanmail". As I can make my own cards, I can make a famous sim and let another sim fancy him/ her and send him/ her mail.

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 5:09 PM
I found out which download causes the problem. and it has indeed something to do with the debug mode on the mailbox because when I delete that download I don't have that debug menu anymore (all the time). 7404 downloads and I have mangaged to find the one download that causes the problem :D
I don't think I'll miss this download so I just remove it.
:lovestruc That's brilliant!

And if you want, I can send that download to you to have a look for the clash.
Yes please. Do you remember where you got it from? Or have some sort of name for it so we can identify it for other users?

In the meantime I thought about another categroy named "Fanmail". As I can make my own cards, I can make a famous sim and let another sim fancy him/ her and send him/ her mail.
Excellent Idea - I will look into adding that for you as soon as I can.

Btw - now that you are up and running - check out the pictures in the mini-tutorial for making your own cards and reflect back to when you hadn't tried it before. Do you think that will help the next new person trying it out? Are there any other bits that are still too poorly explained. Your feedback was very useful before and has been used to improve things, but anything else you have to add will be gratefully received.

Cheers
Mog

Banned
#74 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 5:52 PM
As far as I can tell, in my game at least, this mod is not compatible with insiminator, for some reason. But I may be wrong. I'm testing it out now.

Edit:

No, it's not insiminator, but it's definatley a hack conflict. Because it seems to work fine with the any game starter, and I don't have any debug mod for the mailbox. So I guess I have to do some searching then too.
Top Secret Researcher
#75 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
Yes please. Do you remember where you got it from? Or have some sort of name for it so we can identify it for other users?

I already have it since August 2008 (last changed) so I'm sorry, but I really don't remember where I got it from and it doesn't have a name really.
Can you send me your emailaddress? So I can send it to you?

Excellent Idea - I will look into adding that for you as soon as I can.

Thanks! You're the best :D

Btw - now that you are up and running - check out the pictures in the mini-tutorial for making your own cards and reflect back to when you hadn't tried it before. Do you think that will help the next new person trying it out? Are there any other bits that are still too poorly explained. Your feedback was very useful before and has been used to improve things, but anything else you have to add will be gratefully received.

Cheers
Mog

I haven't tried it out to make some more cards since the pictures were added. I'll try it asap, but I think it will be much better now.

Page 3 of 12