Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#651 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 2:12 AM
The Outer Space Connection (1975) - 8/10
This is a documentary about the possible alien origin of some of the worlds oldest structures, like various pyramids, the lines of Nazca, etc. Saw this as a teenager and really enjoyed seeing it again.
Advertisement
Theorist
#652 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 1:40 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Jan 2022 at 6:05 AM.
Somewhere in Time (1980) - 2/10
Pointless, and seems to have been made solely to further the careers of the two stars.
Test Subject
#653 Old 5th Apr 2021 at 4:39 PM
Zack Snyder's Justice League - 10/10 He really did fixed the movie
Theorist
#654 Old 18th May 2021 at 5:17 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 14th Feb 2022 at 7:23 AM.
The Disappearance (1977) - 8/10
(No spoilers)
Donald Sutherland plays a contract killer whose wife has disappeared, or has left him, he's not sure which. He is told little about his next contract (what is surreptitiously referred to as a "shy") and suspects it may be related to his wife's disappearance. The ending perhaps leaves more questions than it does answers.
This is one of those movies where you have to turn up the volume and really pay attention to what is said in order to keep track of what's going on. I had to watch it twice to really follow it.
It is non-linear, with frequent "flashbacks" throughout, where the Sutherland character thinks about his wife and their stormy marriage. In fact, all of his wife's appearances are in flashbacks, except for a couple of scenes at the very end of the film. There is also a flashback to a recent murder he committed on a ship, and I'm still unclear what role this plays.
I like the cinematography and especially the filming location at Habitat '67 in Montreal.
Not considered one of Sutherland's better films and a box office failure, I nevertheless love it.
It's presently on YouTube.
Theorist
#655 Old 18th May 2021 at 6:06 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 20th May 2021 at 5:42 AM.
The Odessa File (1974) - 4/10
Politicized claptrap.
Theorist
#656 Old 19th May 2021 at 1:57 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 14th Feb 2022 at 7:24 AM.
Jacob's Ladder (1990) - 9/10
A Vietnam veteran has flashbacks and strange demonic hallucinations.
Better than I expected.
Test Subject
#657 Old 19th May 2021 at 3:51 PM
Zack Snyder's Justice League - 10/10

Gotta say, this film is everything that a DC fan ever dreamed of.
Theorist
#658 Old 20th May 2021 at 5:41 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 25th Jun 2021 at 5:06 AM.
The Day Time Ended (1979) - 1/10
Many drugs were apparently consumed in the making of this movie. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Invasion of the Blood Farmers (1972) - 1/10
Laughable, and one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
I watched this on the recommendation of someone who said that, in an odd coincidence, at the time of the making of this movie in Westchester County, New York, just north of New York City, the real-life so-called Son of Sam cult was practicing some of the things depicted in this movie, such as animal sacrifices.
Mad Poster
#659 Old 20th May 2021 at 8:46 PM
The Mitchell's vs the Machines - 8/10
Would recommend, I really enjoyed it. I didn't like all the "lol so random. Teens love random. We understand teens"-esque random flashy scenes though.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#660 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 9:37 PM
The Negotiator (1998)

I liked it, it's not the first time I've seen it but it's definitely been a while. It feels like "everyone" is in the movie even if you can't name them all.
Theorist
#661 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 10:19 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 4th May 2022 at 2:41 PM.
Communion (1989) - 5/10.
Christopher Walken gets abducted and anally probed.
Scholar
#662 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 12:58 PM
Die Hard (1988)

Always fun to rewatch. Its the only christmas movie other than the grinch and home alone worth watching
Test Subject
#663 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 10:37 AM
Fast and Furious 9. Quite interesting
Theorist
#664 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 10:56 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 23rd Sep 2021 at 1:12 AM.
My Dinner With Andre (1981) - 1/10
I cringe thinking that people actually paid money and sat in movie theaters to watch this pseudo-intellectual drivel. I'm embarrassed to say that I sat through this, watching it online last night, although I did fall asleep for about 15 minutes half-way through. Well, eating always makes me sleepy.
Theorist
#665 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 2:25 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 17th Jul 2021 at 6:35 PM.
Idiocracy (2006) - 2/10
Not too far from present-day reality. I did get one good thing out of watching this garbage, namely, the end credits play a catchy instrumental ditty I'd never heard before, Buck Owens' Buckaroo.
Scholar
#666 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 10:03 PM
Con Air (1997) is like the only Nic Cage movie that's acceptable. Though I did watch like 10 mins of Bangkok Dangerous before I had to go out and that was really fun, so maybe if I watch the whole thing there could be another nice movie featuring the dude
Theorist
#667 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 4:27 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Oct 2021 at 10:43 PM.
Fahrenheit 451 (1966) - 3.5/10
(slight spoiler warning)
Typical low budget British science fiction, with cheesy props, including 1940's-era telephones and telephone switchboards among otherwise somewhat futuristic mid-century furniture, and the main protagonist eventually escaping in a row boat, despite his high-tech pursuers giving chase on jet packs, which is the absurd low point in the film.
What's odd is that in a society that has outlawed reading of any kind, everyone does seem to know how to read, and there are in fact places where reading is obvious, at least the reading of numbers, such as the number 451 on the firemen's uniforms and the floor selection buttons inside elevators.
The only thing that intrigues me about this movie is that I'm curious where the elevated monorail was located and whatever happened to it, so I'll have to do a net search for that.
Some movies make me want to read the books they're based on, but this isn't one of them. Pointless and very boring.

Edit: The monorail was a test track, about a mile long and constructed in France by a corporate consortium, and dismantled not long after having been used in the movie.
Theorist
#668 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Con Air (1997) is like the only Nic Cage movie that's acceptable. Though I did watch like 10 mins of Bangkok Dangerous before I had to go out and that was really fun, so maybe if I watch the whole thing there could be another nice movie featuring the dude

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Cage seems to be one of David Lynch's go-to actors.
Theorist
#669 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 6:50 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 1st Sep 2021 at 11:06 PM.
The Lost Continent (1968) - 4/10 (Not to be confused with a couple of movies entitled Lost Continent, from the 1950's)
It starts out promisingly enough, with a leaky old steamer carrying illegal cargo to Caracas, Venezuela, I forget from where, along with an odd collection of passengers. After encountering a hurricane they end up stuck in the doldrums in the Sargasso Sea (I had to look that up) where they encounter man-eating seaweed, giant carnivorous crustaceans, and the descendants of conquistadors who have been trapped in the doldrums for centuries. It sounds more interesting than it is.
Who says weed wasn't potent back in the 60's? And I don't mean seaweed.
Theorist
#670 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 1:19 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 20th Nov 2021 at 2:43 AM.
Quest for Fire (1981) - 10/10
In the prehistoric world, a Cro-Magnon tribe's survival depends on maintaining their source of fire, which eventually extinguishes. Lacking the knowledge to start a new fire, the tribe sends three warriors on a quest for more. Good cinematography, good drama and good humor.
Unique in that there is not a single spoken word in the entire movie, just grunts and gestures.
One of my favorite movies.
Theorist
#671 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 7:56 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Jan 2022 at 6:09 AM.
Dead & Buried (1981) - 5/10
A Twilight Zone type of movie, only not as good.
Theorist
#672 Old 8th Aug 2021 at 3:24 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 20th Nov 2021 at 2:32 AM.
Bullitt (1968) - 5/10

Another old movie that I never sat down and watched properly, until last night.

Steve McQueen plays San Francisco police Lieutenant Bullitt, who is charged with protecting a mob fugitive over the weekend until he can testify in court the following Monday.
About a half-dozen other notable actors play their typical roles, including Robert Vaughn as Senator Chalmers, Don Gordon as detective Delgetti, Simon Oakland as Captain Bennet, and even Norman Fell (the landlord from Three's Company) as Baker, another police superior. Jacqueline Bisset plays Bullitt's significant other and Robert Duvall plays a cabdriver.

Noted for it's supposedly epic car chase between two 1960's muscle cars through the streets and nearby highways of San Francisco, I don't see much else extraordinary about this film. Although the general story isn't too hard to follow, there are irritating details that left me wondering whether they are, or are not, significant. Even after reading the plot description on Wikipedia afterwards, the overall story still seemed sketchy to me. It seems the entire movie was built around the car chase.

(Spoiler alert)
For example:
* Senator Chalmer's suspected link to organized crime (according to Wikipedia) is never elucidated. Is he a good guy or bad guy? If he's bad, how bad?
* Why in fact did Ross unlock the door of the hotel room?
* Would leaving the door locked have made much of a difference, considering the perpetrators subsequently entered the room and shot two people with a shotgun? They obviously weren't concerned about making noise, so would a simple locked door chain have made much difference to them?
* Jacqueline Bisset's role as Lieutenant Bullitt's girlfriend/fiancee is of no importance to the film. Using her to try to "humanize" Bullitt is pointless. The only reason she's in the movie is because they wanted to include a beautiful woman, or any woman, in the film, but leaving out her role entirely would have made no difference whatsoever. She's just window dressing in an otherwise all-male cast.
Theorist
#673 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 4:55 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 13th Aug 2021 at 4:52 PM.
Cell (2016) - 5/10
Science Fiction or a prediction of the near future?
Theorist
#674 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 11:02 PM
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) - 4/10
A supercomputer designed to safely control the world's nuclear weapons becomes sentient and decides to rule the world.
Theorist
#675 Old 4th Sep 2021 at 6:24 PM
In the Mouth of Madness (1994) - 5/10
Some kind of Lovecraftian-type tale that gets weirder and weirder.
Page 27 of 38