Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#12376 Old 5th Nov 2021 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Oh! I'm quite impressed by the Tsar's modesty. I thought he'd have worn far more medals than that.

He was a very shy, modest person who would have preferred to be a private country gentleman rather than the absolute ruler of the largest nation on Earth. I would not have wanted to be in his shoes, but the problem is that through his inaction and his tendency to listen to bad advisors he often made life worse for his subjects.
I'd encourage everyone to read or watch documentaries about the last czar of Russia and his wife, they were very interesting (and very flawed) people who were in the worst possible position they could have been in.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#12377 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
He was a very shy, modest person who would have preferred to be a private country gentleman rather than the absolute ruler of the largest nation on Earth.
That's just what Juliette and I will let him be when he comes to Veronaville. Most Sims in my game are happy, and I hope he and his family will be too.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#12378 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
He was a very shy, modest person who would have preferred to be a private country gentleman rather than the absolute ruler of the largest nation on Earth. I would not have wanted to be in his shoes, but the problem is that through his inaction and his tendency to listen to bad advisors he often made life worse for his subjects.
I'd encourage everyone to read or watch documentaries about the last czar of Russia and his wife, they were very interesting (and very flawed) people who were in the worst possible position they could have been in.

The best biography I've ever read is Robert Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra"-which is the premier book about them.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...s_and_Alexandra

And also, his "The Romanovs: The Final Chapter "

If you look on the list from Good Reads, you'll find others, but his was the first one that really became a best seller. The movie was based on it, but I've never seen it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#12379 Old 7th Nov 2021 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
That's just what Juliette and I will let him be when he comes to Veronaville. Most Sims in my game are happy, and I hope he and his family will be too.

Not the person who disagreed with you, but personally (just saying what I would do, if it happened in my game) I'd either imprison him for his actions as Czar and then have him live as a factory worker so that he can see what life was like for the millions that suffered while he and Alix played house.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#12380 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 1:08 AM
That does seem a bit harsh, but my grandfather, who was alive at the time, thought the communists were justified in executing the whole family, to make absolutely sure there was no Tsarist comeback. I loved my grandfather (who died when I was five) but, when I read of the brutality of their killing, I cannot agree with him. Certainly 13-year-old Alexei and his sisters had done nothing deserving of death. Part of me feels that for Nicholas and Alexandra exile will be punishment enough, but I might indeed give the deposed Tsar a start as an apprentice in a textiles mill, which is after all Veronaville's traditional industry. Kent Capp, despite his high connections, is already working as an operative in such a mill. Thanks for giving me the idea.

I am sort of fascinated by why I've got a disagree with this idea. Of course I'm mixing up real history with fiction, but every historical novel does that. Possibly more ridiculous is the time travel element of moving from the infant Soviet Union to 21st century Veronaville, with its very liberated attitudes. There is bound to be an element of culture shock. I wonder how the younger Romanovs will react to it and whether it might lead to conflict with their parents. I must be honest -- this whole idea absolutely fascinates me, and I'm glad I thought of it. There are lots of things you could disagree with in the idea, but I would be fascinated to know which one(s) prompted the Disagree Button.

I haven't read the book Nicholas and Alexandra but I'm pretty sure I saw the film a long time ago. Probably also significant to my understanding of this period is that I saw the film Dr Zhivago when I was about 14 -- just about the same age as the Tsarevich when he was killed.

By the way, your avatar always reminds me just a little of Rasputin!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#12381 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 2:09 AM Last edited by kestrellyn : 8th Nov 2021 at 5:07 AM.
It wasn't so much a matter of them deserving death as that, if any one of them were left alive a royalist faction would form to try to restore their rule, regardless or whether or not that person actually wanted that. There's no way to solve that problem other than just killing all of them. The same thing also happened in France, I believe, children were killed so that royalist factions couldn't form.

I reread Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy recently, and one of the interesting things I noted was that the galaxy in that book resolved this issue with regards to the old galactic empire by putting the comatose and almost dead emperor into stasis until all of his descendants had died naturally of old age. But of course, you can't do that if your preferred method of transitioning the government is a revolution.

Edit: I don't know the reason for the disagree. This is just a practical concern when it comes to overthrowing a monarchy. It's not great, but monarchies are also not great.
Mad Poster
#12382 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 3:35 AM
One thing (before we get the topic back to pixel pushing), is that for many people in the family, Nicholas would have been ideally suited to be a 'country farmer' or gentleman.In fact, At one of the numerous family get-togethers, it was noted that he bore a startling similarity with his cousin, George V of England-and they were equally alike in their personalities-rigid in thought, and very shy. George was an unremarkable monarch and he was the one who ultimately caused his cousin's death, by refusing to give the family sanctuary in England when they were toppled from the throne. It's too bad his imagination was limited and stilted. He cost a lot of people their lives. I wonder to this day if he ever had a guilty conscience over it.
But of course we will never know.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#12383 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
It wasn't so much a matter of them deserving death as that, if any one of them were left alive a royalist faction would form to try to restore their rule, regardless or whether or not that person actually wanted that. There's no way to solve that problem other than just killing all of them. The same thing also happened in France, I believe, children were killed so that royalist factions couldn't form.

I reread Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy recently, and one of the interesting things I noted was that the galaxy in that book resolved this issue with regards to the old galactic empire by putting the comatose and almost dead emperor into stasis until all of his descendants had died naturally of old age. But of course, you can't do that if your preferred method of transitioning the government is a revolution.

Edit: I don't know the reason for the disagree. This is just a practical concern when it comes to overthrowing a monarchy. It's not great, but monarchies are also not great.

==
...and I had to "agree" just because of Pratchett (or was that the writer? If not, you would like his stuff too. And don't forget your towel)

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#12384 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 4:52 PM
Not sure if I posted this before but I have long been hoping for a jewellery manufacturing station. Basically it should work like the sewing machine but instead of clothes to make, you choose from the jewellery category that came with Bon Voyage. So far I haven't found anyone who did something like it and I'm too stupid to do it myself tbh.
Mad Poster
#12385 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katerina Petrova
Not sure if I posted this before but I have long been hoping for a jewellery manufacturing station. Basically it should work like the sewing machine but instead of clothes to make, you choose from the jewellery category that came with Bon Voyage. So far I haven't found anyone who did something like it and I'm too stupid to do it myself tbh.

I think the main reason that it has not been created is that the actions of making jewelry might be a bit more complicated than to have a crafting station to put out items.

I would think it could be an offshoot of metal smithing.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12386 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
==
...and I had to "agree" just because of Pratchett Douglas Adams

Fixed it for you!
Scholar
#12387 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 5:31 PM
Both worth reading indeed.
Mad Poster
#12388 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Fixed it for you!

Why, thank you most kind Sir! You would think I could remember names of those I love, but no.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#12389 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 11:28 AM
I would like a mod that only allowed my students to put their homework on the floor if there wasn't any dest or dining table avaliable.
Makes sense that a desk is the first option, but when you don't have one you use the kitchen table, don't you?
Mad Poster
#12390 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 11:39 AM
Apparently doing homework on the floor is not at normal as I thought it Used to sit on the floor quite often, in winter, because my room was colder than the living room, and my dad (who was handy) finally gave up and made me a surface to write on which I could use on the sofa too My sim kids all do their homework on the floor.
Forum Resident
#12391 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 4:44 PM
A version of ACR without the jealousy and rejection at all. Rejections ruined ACR for me because as it stands, My sims do not reject each other in my hoods at all and that's without ACR.
Inventor
#12392 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 4:50 PM
A bed OMSP that enables relaxing, cuddling and kissing interactions on the floor, just like on the bear rug in TS1 Vacation.
Mad Poster
#12393 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pianogrinder
A version of ACR without the jealousy and rejection at all. Rejections ruined ACR for me because as it stands, My sims do not reject each other in my hoods at all and that's without ACR.

You can already tune acceptance requirements and jealousy to your liking with ACR.
Top Secret Researcher
#12394 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 8:16 PM
Three things I thought of yesterday and today:
1. For the pottery wheel to build creativity. I mean, why doesn't it already?
2. An option to "reject call" on a cell phone. Just cause a sim is too busy to answer the phone doesn't mean it needs to ring for hours.
3. An option to "knock" on a locked dorm door. Depending on the sim's relationship with the person inside they would either be able to enter or get a dialog box like "Go away, you weirdo! It says Do Not Disturb!"

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Alchemist
#12395 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 12:52 AM
@StrangeTownChick, for one, there's Crafting Skills and Tweaks by Whoward69/William. There might be another mod or two out there. And for two, try phone hack by Pescado. With that you can set how many times the phone rings, 5, 10, 15, etc.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#12396 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 3:31 AM Last edited by FranH : 15th Nov 2021 at 4:01 PM.
I (and many, many others) have complained about this, but I'm just so sick and tired of having pixels put the brats, er, babies on the floor.
It is amazing that after all these years, all the mods and improvements in the game that have happened and we still have that one routing failure still plaguing the game.

That's the one thing I think is the last big problem of the game-how babies are handled. It's barbaric!

Lab Assistant
#12397 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Softlism
A bed OMSP that enables relaxing, cuddling and kissing interactions on the floor, just like on the bear rug in TS1 Vacation.

@Softlism: wouldn't this mod work in theory?

https://modthesims.info/d/476970/im...ed-10-2012.html

Enable "moveobjects on" cheat, place on floor, select the invisible recolour? Haven't tested myself but don't see why it wouldn't work (may look awkward though)
Inventor
#12398 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 12:42 PM
@morrowindnostalgia I have this one already, but it only has the sofa animations. I'm actually looking for one with bed cuddle animations.
Link Ninja
#12399 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 3:25 PM
You know how you can assign different hairstyles to different outfit types? It would be so awesome if you could assign regular day outfits per season quadrant. So then any visiting sim on a lot shows up in their seasonal appropriate wear. In winter they come on lot with their outerwear like usual but when they flip out of it when they step indoors, it's whatever sweater they were assigned on their home lot for winter. I guess that's the drawback of not playing strict rotations, I have sweater sims show up on lots that are still in the middle of summer, haha.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#12400 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Morrowindnostalgia
@Softlism: wouldn't this mod work in theory?

https://modthesims.info/d/476970/im...ed-10-2012.html

Enable "moveobjects on" cheat, place on floor, select the invisible recolour? Haven't tested myself but don't see why it wouldn't work (may look awkward though)

It's set to sofa height with sofa animations, so they'll be hovering in midair as they makeout. And if you were able to move it down, their legs would clip through the floor. I'm guessing what Softlism wants is one with bed animations but shifted to floor level so they can kiss and cuddle while (mostly) lying down.
Page 496 of 576