Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 11:45 PM
Do the Hippie Hippie Shake! Hippie Commune Challenge
Hippie Commune Challenge!

You’ll probably need a mod to allow more people to live on your lot. An anti-jealousy mod wouldn’t hurt, either.

In one family, make two YA males and two YA females -- male married to female, and no one related in any other way. (These will be your two hippie couples.) Randomize traits -- although if you get Hates the Outdoors, Ambitious, or Workaholic you are allowed to change it to Angler, Lucky, Green Thumb, or Natural Cook. No Career-oriented LTWs.

Purchase the biggest empty lot you can afford. Buy four bicycles, and four bicycle racks, for the hippies to get around town. Make those bicycles "preferred" transportation. Avoid those smog-creating taxis whenever possible.

Now, with whatever money is left, build two separate residences for your couples at opposite ends of the lot. NO MONEY CHEATS! They may be forced to live in one-room shacks, but they can upgrade as fast as they can earn cash.

None of the hippies are allowed to get jobs. For money, they can collect rocks and butterflies/bugs, fish, garden, paint, and busk (play for tips); they can also rummage through other people’s trash and sell/keep whatever they find, or steal from other houses (if klepto) and sell/keep whatever they get. Klepto hippies must never steal from other hippies. No selling tombstones.

They cannot shop at stores or eat in restaurants. That industrialized food will kill you, you know? No buying books or bookcases (library is OK though). No computers. No paying for skill classes or reading skill books; if you want to level up, you just have to practice until you get better.

They need to spread that hippie love. Each hippie couple must befriend at least one townie (male or female, doesn’t matter) and invite them to move in. Once that happens the townie must immediately quit his/her job. They can then either move in with one of the original hippie couples, or build a residence of their own on the commune lot.

The hippie couples must have sex as often as possible (not necessarily with their own partner, just so long as it’s a fellow hippie) and ALWAYS “Try For Baby”. NO reading pregnancy books (they’re all written by “the man”, man) and NO going to the hospital to give birth. At least one of each of the hippie couples’ offspring must stay on the commune, and marry someone else born on the hippie commune, to continue the line. Keep it going for 5 generations and you’re a Hippie Superstar, 10 generations and you’re a Hippie Legend, 15 generations and you’re a Hippie God.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 10:37 AM
Love the idea of this challenge so I will give it a go, though I think I will have a large house to start off with, but no money, maybe one of my families had it left to them but they decided that they wanted to be free to live life as hippies did in the 60's. It would be nice too to turn the whole town into a hippie paradise. Thanks for the idea of this challenge. I will have to stick with 8 sims per household though as I don't use mods.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:12 PM
lol, I just imagined a huge one lot trailer court with a communal garden. XD

Most of the hippies I know love to read, though. Well, sci-fi and fantasy anyway. So other than selling off any inappropriate reading material as soon as I get the bookcase, I'm probably going to stuff at least the 'common' room with bookshelves. I'll probably also make them buy their books from the Consignment store - the only store I'll let them go to.

Oooh, I might try getting most all of their furniture from the junkyard, and have the repairman come to 'refurbish' them for me. I'll have to do one piece at a time to avoid getting too much of a discount. It's 50$ a visit, not per thing repaired, after all. And I think that will be the ONLY Service NPC to visit the house, evah! So, no fire alarms, no maid, omg no butler.... Yeah.

Let's see, and I'll also force at least one family, if not most all of them, to be Eco. No regular trash cans, must recycle. Solar panels etc when they can afford them.

And at least one sim per generation is going to make nectar as their hobby. One of my mom's long standing hippie friends is a hobby brewer, and he's always going on about the sulfates and stuff that gets put in commercial alcohol.

Muahaha. I can see it already. Thanks for the idea!
Alchemist
#4 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:59 PM
As a hippie, I agree with skmt that while books aren't incredibly environment friendly, every hippie I know is a huge reader and has walls of bookshelves spilling over with books.
Also, most hippies I know are very concerned about overpopulation and are huge proponents of birth control. The idea of 'always trying for baby' would truly outrage them. It is after all people that use up most of the earth's resources, and create all the waste and pollution.
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 4:24 PM
Think I shall have to look up about Hippies. Still it should be fun. I am going to use Hippie names like skye and River I found loads of hippie names on he net. I am going to start this later.
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 7:18 PM Last edited by lionessgirl : 29th Apr 2011 at 2:12 PM.
One thing I would suggest is putting Simhenge on a community lot of some sort, and all parties have to be held there.

EDIT: I would also suggest vegitarian trait. And all this come from living in Whiltshire/chatting with Hippies at Glastonbury.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 6:26 AM
!! Forgot about Eco, that should be a must!

Sorry if I offended any hippies, I was trying to make it a challenge. That accounts for the lack of birth control.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 1:16 PM
^^^^Edit:
Nevermind. Not worth it. Have fun with your challenge. But I would really suggest reading up on hippies because many of the cultural and political freedoms you have today are thanks to the hippie movement.