Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 2:05 AM Last edited by floopyboo : 26th Nov 2015 at 5:31 AM.
Default The Commune Challenge
This is a playstyle/lifestyle challenge. No points are assigned. This challenge could be fun to play as a part of an existing town or as a survivalist-type challenge on a deserted island, and it would work really well in conjunction with Glitter Psycho’s Medieval Challenge.

Set it in the medieval past, as a present-day shipwreck or a futuristic dystopia – the setting is up to you. I am playing this challenge as a medieval shipwreck on a deserted island. Regardless of the overall setting, your sims are isolated from society and must be self-sufficient – whether by choice or by necessity. To this end, each sim has a role to play.

Getting Started:

Each adult sim in the household has an archetype. These archetypes are assigned by the traits they gain as they age. Sims who do not gain a trait that would naturally assign them a role in the household become a sim of leisure.

To start the game, randomly roll up to six archetypes, then hit CAS to create up to six unrelated teen or older sims. Each sim should be given at least one of the traits of their archetype.

Archetypes:

The Cook:
• Has the Natural Cook trait
• Has access to the kitchen & larder
• Is responsible for cooking and producing nectar
• Is allowed to read cooking & nectar making skill books

The Farmhand:
• Has one or more of the following traits: Green Thumb, Gatherer, Eco-Friendly
• Has access to the harvestable gardens and livestock
• Is responsible for the good health of the gardens and harvesting all produce
• Is allowed to read gardening skill books

The Fisherman:
• Has the Angler trait
• Is allowed off-lot
• Is responsible for catching fish

The Nurse:
• Has one or more of the following traits: Family-Oriented, Nurturing
• Has access to the nursery
• Is responsible for the care of everyone younger than teens
• Is allowed to read pregnancy books
• Is allowed to ‘read to’ using toddler skill books

The Governess/Tutor:
• Has one or more of the following traits: Bookworm, Genius
• Has access to the library and is allowed to go to the bookstore if required
• Is responsible for the education of children and teens
• Is allowed to read ANY book
• Is allowed to 'read to sleep' any child from any skill book

The Minstrel:
• Has the Virtuoso trait
• Has access to the music room
• Is responsible for maintaining morale

The Artisan:
• Has one of the following traits: Artistic, Savvy Sculptor
• Has access to the salon/art studio
• Is responsible for the decoration of the lot

The Maid/Servant:
• Has one or more of the following traits: Neat, Handy
• Has access to all areas on the lot
• Is responsible for keeping the lot well-maintained

The Sim of Leisure:
• Has none of the archetype traits
• Has no special access or entitlements
• Has no special responsibilities
• If room must be made to accommodate the growing household, this sim is the first to go

Greater Gameplay:

Sims are allowed unrestricted access to:
• Dining Room (eating happens here)
• Lounge (group games & entertainment)
• Leisure Gardens (the harvestable gardens should be fenced off)
• Any areas allowable by their archetype
• All other areas are restricted

Sleeping arrangements:
• Infants, toddlers and the nurse all sleep in the nursery.
• Children, teens and the governess/tutor sleep in gender-assigned dorms.
• Single adults sleep in gender-assigned dorms.
• Married adults sleep with their spouse in a small bedroom.
• Sims widowed as elders may continue to sleep in their marital bedrooms.

Societal stuff:
• Children should be born into wedlock. Infidelity is no problem, but you should probably endeavour to get all single sims hitched before they start to show. Find the single sim they have the best relationship with and get them married asap.
• Sims should start training in their role from the moment they gain the relevant trait if they are able to. This means that sim children with the natural cook trait should have access to the kitchen where they can observe and mimic using the toy oven. It also means that once a sim is able to do an archetype activity, they are allowed to do so if they possess the archetype trait(s).
• It’s fine if sims wander off lot on their own, however, unless they are allowed off lot by archetype, do not direct them to do so.
• More than one sim may fill a single archetype role, however one sim may not fill more than one archetype roll.

Other stuff:
• The technophobe trait is a great way to stop sims from whining about how much they want a tv (particularly useful for sims of leisure!)
• The hates the outdoors trait will help prevent sims from whining about wanting to go outside. (you have no idea how much I wish I could enable this for my cat!)
• Any mod that allows you to have more than 8 sims in a household is now your friend, as this will prevent you from having to evict a sim of leisure (or worse, a cook!) to make way for a new baby.
• Sims with multiple archetype traits should fill a single role covered by their traits that is currently vacant. However, people do die, so if a sim with a more necessary role (cook, nurse, farmhand, etc) dies, any sim able to do so should swap over to fill this new archetype.
• Sims other than the maid/servant will frequently clean the communal areas. It is entirely up to you whether you decide that this is the maid’s job alone (and you attempt to stop them from cleaning) or you decide to turn a blind eye to it, after all the maid/servant has their work cut out for them already.
• Overpopulation will inevitably be an issue. How you resolve it is up to you.
• If a role is vacant and no sims in the household possess the relevant archetype trait, you may choose to resolve the issue by wish fulfilment (eg: no nanny? Wait until a sim wants to interact with the infant/toddler and then allow them to do so)

Questions? Comments? Fire away.
Screenshots

Thanks, I hate it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 5:33 AM
New, with shiny update to the Tutor/Governess.

Thanks, I hate it.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 4:01 AM
I will do this as soon as I finish the challenges I am currently working on
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 5:27 PM
When the original sims have children do we need to randomize the children's traits?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ThileaLover123
When the original sims have children do we need to randomize the children's traits?

I do, but I also re-roll crappy traits/ones I don't like, eg vehicle enthusaist. I wouldn't get too hung up on it, the challenge is meant to be in the division of labour, not in the allocation of traits.

Thanks, I hate it.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 2:54 AM Last edited by Heart Sims : 23rd Jun 2017 at 5:20 PM.
I've combined some types if anyone wants to hear them (or more technically read them)
Cook & maid/servant
farmhand & fisherman
Nurse & Governess/Tutor
Minstrel
Artisan
They won't always be both, but this will keep it so there's room for kids without getting mods.

edit: can the nurse get married? and if they do, do they move to a marital room or do they sleep apart or does the the partner move into/near the nursery with them?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 12:33 AM Last edited by Heart Sims : 21st Jun 2017 at 8:39 PM.
So I've made my people

This is the oldest of the group as an elder Nikolas Hinton. He is our hot-headed Artist, and always worried about money. He's also a witch that can apparently see into the future, which is evident in his painting. Or maybe he's crazy. He does have a creepy old man crush on Kerry...

Our lovely Cook/Servant is Harrison Kurtz. He's a very proper vampire, although no one but his girlfriend knows. He's also an Adult.
Deirdre Mixon is the girlfriend of Harrison Kurtz and a friendly gal. She is our Nurse and Tutor, and currently writes books as there are no children in the household.

Deirdre Mixon found Kerry Farrington lost in the woods as a child and took her in. Kerry is now a teen. She's got a very unique appearance, and is also a fairy. She took over the Farmhand/Fisherman duties.

Our One Sim Band is Lester Irby. He's our flirty werewolf, and is very fond of his mustache. He also has a crush on Kerry Farrington. Lester Irby is a teen. :lovestruc

but soon got an A in school and aged up to a proper young lad.

Kerry followed suit a few days later. She makes it a point to always brood about where she came from.

Same day Kerry aged up she became the girlfriend of Lester
Also...

Yay! They're getting married!

Hope you enjoyed meeting my sims I will be back with more updates!
Click to see photos larger!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 6:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Heart Sims
I've combined some types if anyone wants to hear them (or more technically read them)
Cook & maid/servant
farmhand & fisherman
Nurse & Governess/Tutor
Minstrel
Artisan
They won't always be both, but this will keep it so there's room for kids.

edit: can the nurse get married? and if they do, do they move to a marital room or do they sleep apart or does the the partner move into/near the nursery with them?

I played it so that the nurse didn't get married unless they had an oops (which led to a convenient marriage) but hey, do what you want with it. I tried to keep this as open to interpretation as possible while still having enough rules/structure to have some fun with.

Thanks, I hate it.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 6:20 PM Last edited by Heart Sims : 2nd Jul 2017 at 1:10 AM.
Default wedding
I know i keep posting but i'm having so much fun with this challenge!

Happy marriage! Everyone's crying!!! can you find the person laughing at someone?

EDIT: Lester forsook the werewolf and is now a witch. I don't like werewolves anyway
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 2:52 AM Last edited by Heart Sims : 4th Jul 2017 at 4:19 AM.
Nikolas got mad Kerry was dating someone else and took his anger out on her.

Then Lester tried to make her feel better...

They stayed up until 3 am being romantic and then danced until they literally passed out. They've been staying up late a lot. They don't want others to see their pda. That would be shameful! (even though everyone else knows they're together anyway) As such Kerry has kinda been neglecting her duties because they're always so dang tired lmbo. So Lester helps her a lot of the time.
#couplegoals #butitsthesims
Also, i feel like i'm the only one posting and taking up so much of the forum just me lmbo Sorry

edit:

OH GOSH NO NOT YET

N: "PLEASE!!! KERRY HASN'T HAD MY BABY YET"

K: "This creep's STILL at it?"

D: "Off with you crazy old man!!! You where never going to get Kerry anyway!"
N: "NOOOOOOOOOO"

Everyone else: "He's really gone!"
K: "Am I happy or sad..."

K: "WAIT WHO AM I GOING TO FIGHT!!!"

L: "You ok Kerry?"

K: "DON'T EVER LEAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
L: "It's ok, I won't. (except you live longer than me cuz ur a fairy)

Extra to console you:

Bloopers/Bugs!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Heart Sims
Also, i feel like i'm the only one posting and taking up so much of the forum just me lmbo Sorry

Please keep posting. I love seeing how much fun you're having with this challenge.

Thanks, I hate it.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 10:29 PM Last edited by Heart Sims : 7th Jul 2017 at 4:06 AM.
Dierdre had the ever-rare triplets, and are now toddlers. Because they were born on the same day, they are all Leo, just like their mom!!!
Edward is excitable and friendly and is training to be a chef/servant like his dad. Not looking very excited in this pic...

Jenelle is good and is training to be an artist, and therefore has the artistic trait.

Isa is a Loner and is training to be a gardener/fisherwoman, and therefore has the loves the outdoors trait.

Bonus Pics:

SOOOOO CUTE

IM DIEING

ILL NEVER STOP

I'm done now. Have a nice day!
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 11:37 PM
I'll have to try this!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 6:31 AM
Heart Sims, are you still playing? It's lovely seeing your updates.

Thanks, I hate it.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 9:23 PM Last edited by Heart Sims : 2nd Aug 2017 at 11:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by floopyboo
Heart Sims, are you still playing? It's lovely seeing your updates.

HAHA! I BET YOU ALL HOPED I WAS DONE HUH? WELL TOO BAD! GET READY FOR MY TOMFOOLERY!!!
Actually I just fell off my chair and made the sound of a crying but dying cat. My brother proceeded to look at me like i was an alien... Which i am *definitely* not.

I hurried and had everyone pitch in to try to age up the toddlers. soooo...
Edward got the neat trait

Jenelle got the Kleptomaniac trait.

Isa got the angler trait

Haha sorry small update because my game kept "not responding" lmbo kill me now... DONT IT WAS JUST A JOKE PUT DOWN THE KNIFE *sighs* I didn't even get to save after Isa's birthday i saved after the other ones tho so i think i'll be fine. might cry for a while after this tho and console myself with ice cream.
Honestly, I really love this challenge tho! Thanks creator
Edit:
I aged Isa up:

... I will let you figure it out. but she did say yes!