Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 11:40 PM Last edited by NonSequitorian : 2nd Dec 2015 at 7:33 AM.
Default Soul Sickness
Soul Sickness
A challenge for the modern age, modeled after a simple monastic life.
by Nonsequitorian

[-Background-]
Life outside is bitter, and often cruel. You feel compassion stirring in your heart for all the trouble and despair in the world. In quiet contemplation, a higher power responds. “You are right. There is soul sickness in the world. Make a monastery, and bring the lost to me there.” Following this call of hope, you take your meager savings and create a refuge for the soul sick. Soul sickness really takes it out of your sims. The sickness is rampant, often contagious, and sometimes fatal. Every so often during the challenge, the higher power gently directs another sick sim to your sanctuary. Sometimes you lose someone to the sickness, but with care, patience, and understanding, the sick get better, and hope builds with each new day.

This challenge takes place primarily on the home lot. Sims suffering or recovering from soul sickness must lead lives of quiet contemplation and monastic study. Exposure to their former worldly environment greatly increases the risk of further damage to their already overburdened souls. Healing soul sickness requires a nurturing environment.

The challenge ends when your monastery has had no outbreaks of soul sickness for 14 sim days, or can obviously cure outbreaks within a few minutes. While you can expect this to take quite awhile, there are several paths to achieving the goal. The challenge fails if everyone in your monastery succumbs to soul sickness.

While the ruleset seems long, once you set up your Monastery, all you have to know is how sims get Soul Sick and what can be done about it.

A number of conditions and events in this challenge require some degree of randomness (Chance). I prefer to write the options on individual strips of paper (Chance Cards) and draw from a “hat” to decide these conditions. However, you may choose to set up a numbering scheme for them, and roll dice or a random number generator (random.org) to decide the conditions. It's up to you. These are the kinds of Chance Cards I use:

You start out with four sims.

Options Menu Settings

A 40x40 lot created especially for this challenge is available on the Exchange: Humble Monastery . It includes equipment for starting and unlockable roles, plus tomatoes and gardening book. If you want to make your own monastery, here are the specifications.
Once you finish building on your lot on Day One, you may not enter Build Mode again until a Carpenter (AMB) unlocks it.

The monastery opens on Sunday. Someone will need to make a quick run to the town to get the following items then reduce your starting household funds to 1000 simoleons.

Ready to begin? Here goes!

The following additional EP-specific roles are available once their pre-requisite skills have been unlocked by an earlier sim.

Everything you need to know about Soul Sickness.

Your monks are allowed to leave the lot, and doing so falls under two categories: Trips and Expeditions.

However, residents who leave the monastery to go on a Trip are risking relapse of soul sickness. It's a sad, tempting, tumultuous world out there, and a poor environment for spiritual health. At the end of a Trip, when everyone is back home (steps inside the front door) with the equipment/books/food/whatever, you must roll for Trip Risk. There are 12 possibilities:

Sometimes, stuff just happens. It's life: scary, unpredictable. It's enough to make a soul sick, isn't it? Even within the calming environs of the monastery, there is risk, and this risk is called "Random Outbreak". Random Outbreaks (not to be confused with “Randomness Test”, which has its own section) occur due to the following events.

If a Random Outbreak occurs, you must roll for Random Outbreak:

To introduce another level of Randomness, the challenge sometimes requires a Randomness Test.

Below are general rules of play that didn't fit neatly into the above sections.

Collect those Certificates! When your monks level up, they leave a legacy of healing behind!

These are some rules that I toyed with but discarded as being too challenging. Are you up for them?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 6:05 AM Last edited by NonSequitorian : 2nd Dec 2015 at 7:33 AM.
Logging changes:
12/01/2015 Added info buttons to make challenge rules easier to navigate.
12/02/2015 Fixed discrepancy in contagion rules.
Test Subject
#3 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 4:10 PM Last edited by Dead Guest : 9th Sep 2017 at 5:42 PM.
This looks like a great challenge, wish I found it sooner...

However, I'm a bit confused on a couple of things. Can a Provisioner plant vegetables other than tomatoes or do I need to have a Farmer for that?

Also, if a soul sick sim gets a bad moodlet because it forgot to eat or something, do I roll for Random outbreak again on top of the soul sickness?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Dec 2018 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dead Guest
This looks like a great challenge, wish I found it sooner...

However, I'm a bit confused on a couple of things. Can a Provisioner plant vegetables other than tomatoes or do I need to have a Farmer for that?

Also, if a soul sick sim gets a bad moodlet because it forgot to eat or something, do I roll for Random outbreak again on top of the soul sickness?

Sorry for the very late reply. Have switched computers.

A Provisioner may plant, harvest, and cook any vegetable. Tomatoes are also plantable and harvestable by any sim, so you may place tomato plants in a common area. The rest of the plants are off limits for other sims, except farmers. A farmer can plant and harvest any plant, including fruits.

As for soul sickness, you do need to roll for random outbreak if they get a bad moodlet even while sick. However, you only need to roll once per bad moodlet. So if they get well, you don't have to automatically roll again. More info is found in the general rules section.
Test Subject
#5 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 12:50 AM
This is awesome! Really original. I can't wait to try it out This definitely deserves more acknowledgement.
Test Subject
#6 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 11:24 PM Last edited by MiaAngelina : 21st Jan 2019 at 11:36 PM.
I decided to play this challenge in Dystopian Future instead. Because simkind really hit the rock bottom there, so I guess the Soul Sickness is what followed. I built their monastery under a large eco-dome to isolate them from the horrible world outside, and also to keep the bad weather (and hopefully meteors) off because I'm playing with Seasons. And I decided to have them live without electricity and other modern technology as it was what caused the society's downfall in the first place. So they're returning to the old ways (very old ways, hehe).

My first monks are:

I will keep you updated on my game. I hope it will go well. I'm really looking forward to start playing.

UPDATES:
Week 1: So the first week has passed. No one died so far, though I had a few close calls. I didn't get any new sims, had a ton of outbreaks and right now all 4 sims in the monastery are sick. My Farmer is level 7, Provisioner is level 5, Plumber and Piscator are level 3. It's way harder than I expected! Anyways I'm having a ton of fun!

Week 2: This week was literally awful. I kept rolling a lot of sick days and contagions and random outbreaks kept happening in most inconvenient times. I also went a little overboard with my garden so my other sims kept tending whatever parts of it they were allowed instead of skilling their stuff. Mitchel, the Provisioner died of soul sickness midweek. He was level 5, which was my second highest at the moment. No luck in enrolling new sims. My Farmer is now level 9, Plumber and Piscator level 5.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 1:20 AM
Geez! Lots happening in your monastery. The meteors are a nice touch. :D

I never actually had anyone die of a random roll. Although they had to take lots of naps lol!

Keep us posted!

Quote: Originally posted by MiaAngelina
I decided to play this challenge in Dystopian Future instead. Because simkind really hit the rock bottom there, so I guess the Soul Sickness is what followed. I built their monastery under a large eco-dome to isolate them from the horrible world outside, and also to keep the bad weather (and hopefully meteors) off because I'm playing with Seasons. And I decided to have them live without electricity and other modern technology as it was what caused the society's downfall in the first place. So they're returning to the old ways (very old ways, hehe).

My first monks are:

I will keep you updated on my game. I hope it will go well. I'm really looking forward to start playing.

UPDATES:
Week 1: So the first week has passed. No one died so far, though I had a few close calls. I didn't get any new sims, had a ton of outbreaks and right now all 4 sims in the monastery are sick. My Farmer is level 7, Provisioner is level 5, Plumber and Piscator are level 3. It's way harder than I expected! Anyways I'm having a ton of fun!

Week 2: This week was literally awful. I kept rolling a lot of sick days and contagions and random outbreaks kept happening in most inconvenient times. I also went a little overboard with my garden so my other sims kept tending whatever parts of it they were allowed instead of skilling their stuff. Mitchel, the Provisioner died of soul sickness midweek. He was level 5, which was my second highest at the moment. No luck in enrolling new sims. My Farmer is now level 9, Plumber and Piscator level 5.