Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 6:18 AM
Default Mirror reflection filled with text
So, in my effort to make sets for stuff, I've made a vanity. It's more or less done, but I don't know why my reflections are filled with mirrored text. Everything else is working fine. It's only my mirror that's doing this, so I assume I've done something wrong.
Screenshots

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 6:18 PM
Can you upload the file(s)? There's probably something wrong with the mirror subset or some of the resources belonging to it, but it's hard to tell which ones without the files to look at.

Hazarding a guess though - check that the subset names haven't been changed (the mesh group names in the GMDC should match the names in the SHPE).
Instructor
#3 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
So, in my effort to make sets for stuff, I've made a vanity. It's more or less done, but I don't know why my reflections are filled with mirrored text. Everything else is working fine. It's only my mirror that's doing this, so I assume I've done something wrong.

This thread should be helpful:

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=590614

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
This thread should be helpful:

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=590614

Thank you so much! I do indeed see mirrorboundingboxmaterial_txmt as Available: False, but since I'm a total scenegrapher noob, I have no idea how to fix it as there's nothing in the dropdown box. Google didn't help me find that thread, so thank you very much.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  cutevanity_MESH.zip (293.8 KB, 11 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 4:02 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Feb 2021 at 4:15 AM.
Remember changing the GUIDs, though. The 0,0/0,1/1,0/1,1 ones haven't been changed, and that could be part of the issue. All multi-OBJD items need full GUID changes (the GUIDs next to the "get GUID" text).

The groups in the GMDC don't look like they havet been changed, so doesn't seem like that's the problem (unless something has been removed).

Just out of curiosity, test out the one below:
(I only fixed the GUIDs, using the 4 next numbers up, so make sure to not use those in other objects)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  cutevanity_MESH_test.zip (293.8 KB, 7 downloads)
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 4:36 AM
Right--I need to remind myself that changing the other GUIDs won't cause problems like it has before (but I think that was because I updated the MMAT).

And nope, your package still has the mirrored text.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 5:45 AM
You're only supposed to update the MMAT for the "main" OBJD/GUID, not the extra OBJDs. The rest you just change the GUID for and then click Commit. It's easy to forget that, though (but you will notice it when the recolors don't want to show). Luckily, all you have to do if that happens is to update the MMAT with the right GUID, and copy it over to the GUID line in the MMAT in the recolor files (so you usually don't even have to make new recolor files).

I don't work a lot with mirrors, but having checked both the original vanity and a few other mirrors, and then yours, it looks like the mirror reflection meshes in the other meshes are not UVmapped, but yours is (and it's also outside the UV "square" - but that could be due to a shift from having been moved between programs). I'm not sure if that could have something to say, but it's possible. I can't find anything other than that, but maybe someone else can.
Instructor
#8 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:26 AM Last edited by d4RE : 1st Mar 2021 at 5:02 AM. Reason: doesn't appy here
I do indeed see mirrorboundingboxmaterial_txmt as Available: False, but since I'm a total scenegrapher noob, I have no idea how to fix it as there's nothing in the dropdown box.

Click on the SHPE that is connected by arrow to the false TXMT. At the bottom o the page, should be a clickable "open". That will take you back to regular view , where you can edit the SHPE entry to properly point to the TXMT.

ETA: (Haven't forgotten your countertops. This nasty subzero weather has left me with a lot of cleanup and car repairs that's taking up my free time right now.)

_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:30 AM Last edited by Deastrumquodvicis : 28th Feb 2021 at 8:20 AM.
The UV mapping came with the original mesh file, I deleted the UV mapping and still no dice. And when I changed the GUIDs, it won't recolor properly now.

Edit because of the near-simultaneous post:

I don't have anything to open; the option is greyed out. I tried re-cloning and it's false in that one, too.

(also, I have a theory about the counters but I'm gonna test it after the mirror issue is fixed.)
Screenshots

Instructor
#10 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 12:41 PM
yeah, the TXMT is greyed out because it is false. follow the arrow back to the associated SHPE and edit that.

_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 8:22 PM
I changed the filename in cutevanity_glass_rot_mirror_boundingbox_shpe > Items to mirrorboundingboxmaterial_txmt (the other option in the drop-down) from ##0x1C050000!cutevanity_glass_rot_mirror_boundingbox_gmnd, and it crashed my game. I cannot stress enough that I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Instructor
#12 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 4:58 AM
I changed the filename in cutevanity_glass_rot_mirror_boundingbox_shpe > Items to mirrorboundingboxmaterial_txmt (the other option in the drop-down) from ##0x1C050000!cutevanity_glass_rot_mirror_boundingbox_gmnd, and it crashed my game. I cannot stress enough that I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Aha... That's my fault. Forgot the txmt is in an external package, so you should just leave it as it was. It's *supposed * to be false in the scenegraph. And, besides, the bounding box is not the problem - yet (hopefully it won't be).

This issue is with the vanitycountry_mirror_reflection not finding its texture. Time for trial and error [where is that evil laugh coming from?].

Try this: Make the GUID corrections per simmer22. Then, in the cutevanity_glass_rot_shpe, change the vanitycountry_mirror_reflection target (material definition file) back to "vanitycountry_mirror_reflection" (no #1C050000! prefix). That should point it back to the material definition (TXMT) in the original country vanity you cloned from. Look at your meshes in blender again and make sure they are the correct distance from each other. ( If that needed fixing, reimport corrected meshes back into GMDC.) In game, sell the vanity you've been working with and place a new one.

_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 8:50 AM
I've changed GUIDs and made the other edits (not the mesh yet), and ended up having to reclone completely as I messed something up elsewhere. Now it works! Thanks for all your help! (Now to figure out animated clocks...pfft)