Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 10:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default sims2 mac install
I have downloaded the dmg file for my new to me mac computer. I am hoping for install help from there. I am hoping i can get some advice here. I Have also tried a few different the sims2 downloads not sure if the download is the problem. Thank you
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 12:47 AM
Did you double click the dmg? If you did, does a new window open up? Often, when you do this, you'll see an app with Install in the name, which can be doubleclicked to begin installing, or a ReadMe document that further explains how to install that app.

I have the disks so am not familiar with the downloadable version but if you can't open the dmg or you don't understand what to do after it opens a new window, post again and maybe someone else can help more.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 3:26 AM
Have you downloaded the file from Aspyr? I'd think they probably have a help section on how to go from there. Looks like they've got both a FAQ and a support section you can look through for some answers. They've got one for TS2, too.

Double-clicking an install file is pretty much standard for most systems.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 12:12 PM
One of the files opens to a red f which says player.The other brings up something that says detection with a face .Which Is why my confusion remains.
When i go to the aspyr site and try to get the ultimate collection I get this error"The Sims™ 2: Super Collection can’t be installed on “Macintosh” because OS X version 10.12.6 or later is required." I would actually be satisfied with the base game and pets. Thanks everyone for replying.
I appear to have a mac with a 10.10.5 yosemite os
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 6:09 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Oct 2021 at 1:47 AM.
The OS requirements say "macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) or later" which I'm guessing might have something to do with the 64 bit compatibility they added a while back, so that's probably the problem right there.

Always read up on the requirements...

https://www.aspyr.com/games/the-sims-2-super-collection

It's possible you can go the other route via the Windows version (you may need one of the resident mac users for how that works, and any compatibility issues). If you happen to get hold of CDs I think the old ones (BV and below) had Mac compatibility, though can't answer for any of the newer Mac OS versions. I'm not into the whole Mac OS universe...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 7:29 PM
Ok so now I two problems is the sierra os something I can download or whatever I know nothing about os. The other problem is that this mac book has no cd dvd drive.I have all my old game cds but they arent doing me much new good since my hp laptop crashed. Thank you all for being so helpful.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Oct 2021 at 8:00 PM
It is possible to get portable USB CD drives relatively cheap (no idea about Mac compatibility, you'd have to figure that out), so that is one option.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th Oct 2021 at 10:26 PM
The disk version of the game (which I assume is what you’re trying to install as you mention a dmg file) is not compatible with Yosemite. It was written for PowerPC Macs and only worked with Intel processors until the Rosetta emulator was removed. The last version of OS X that Rosetta could run on was Snow Leopard (10.6).

Poor Lion (10.7) gets no love. No version of the game is supported for it.

The Sims 2 Super Collection was introduced as a replacement for the disk based game in 2014 with a minimum requirement of Mountain Lion (10.8). This is only available via the Mac App Store. The minimum requirements gradually got higher with each bug fix release, and I can’t remember the minimum for each version number. I skipped Yosemite on my machines, but ran the game for a long time on Sierra and High Sierra and know that the final 32-bit version ran on both of them. In early 2020 Aspyr released a 64-bit version that would work with macOS Catalina (10.15) and above. That requires a minimum of 10.12.6, which is the final version of Sierra.

I know with some Mac App Store apps if your OS isn’t compatible with the current version you may be asked if you want to download an earlier version instead. This happens, for instance, with Apple’s Pages and Numbers apps. I do not know if it’s the case with games like Sims 2, but you could always log a support call with Aspyr and ask them.

Really though, your simplest and best option is to upgrade to Sierra or above if your Mac supports it. You haven’t given us enough information about the machine to be able to tell that. You can find information about OS and hardware compatibility - and the downloads of the various older OS versions - here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

Your other option is to run the Windows version of the game in Bootcamp. For that you’d need room on your Macintosh HD disk to create a Windows partition, a full licenced copy of Windows, and either the Windows Sims 2 DVDs or Origin with Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 2:09 PM
I am a novice when it comes to computers especially this new mac. Is it easy to install sierra. just click and install or should seek expert help
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 6:07 PM
https://www.newegg.com/black-hp-640...ebook-_-hp-_-12 Could anyone tell me if this pc could likely run the sims2?
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tj7717
I am a novice when it comes to computers especially this new mac. Is it easy to install sierra. just click and install or should seek expert help

Upgrading a Mac is very easy. You could do a little research if you want by checking Apple Support, but basically just choose to install Sierra and if the upgrade will install it will go ahead and do everything for you painlessly. I has been a long while but I upgraded from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and it was quite easy and painless.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.