Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 4:57 AM
Default AlterLife - Another new alternative to the Sims in development.
Hi everyone. I just stumbled across a trailer for a Sim type game called Alterlife. Has anyone seen this yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1511480/AlterLife/

The studio is an indie developer that goes by the name of VGG studio. I can't find out too much about them, but this could well be worth keeping an eye on. Very different looking to Paralives in that they're going for a more realistic look. It's single player only too which is encouraging.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 7:54 AM
Doesn't look like the kind of game I'd like, but damn does it feel good to see competition, and if it's as good as it seems, all the hyper realism obcessed fans get their game, while the rest of us get Paralives.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 8265jww
There was a game called Afterlife in 1996. Developed by LucasArts. Surely a new group aren’t allowed have a new game with the same name?

It's called AlterLife not Afterlife...
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 10:20 AM
I bet it's just another scam.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 12:57 PM
It looks too good to be real. Only time will tell.
Theorist
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 1:00 PM
Looks like another Russian asset flip tbh.

Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
It looks too good to be real. Only time will tell.

I wouldn't say this game looks "good", since I prefer a more stylized art styles, but I agree the graphics definitely look too "hyper realistic" to be real to me.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 2:13 PM
From description and what is shown, sounds like the game be limited to adult life stage. I hope and wish to be proven wrong.

But yeah, I'm liking ppl out here trying to create competiters.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I wouldn't say this game looks "good", since I prefer a more stylized art styles, but I agree the graphics definitely look too "hyper realistic" to be real to me.

Yes, I also prefer a middle ground between realism and fantasy. But the images and videos give a feeling of something elaborate.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 6:32 PM
I'm not a fan of the hyper-realistic art style. Character designs like that are when you start to tread into the uncanny valley. I think the build mode customization they have looks cool though; I especially liked the ability to change the size and width of that computer.

I'm probably still more interested in Paralives, but it's good to see some more competitors enter the mix. EA's had a monopoly for far too long, and it's time to hit them where it hurts.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 7:43 PM
I'd be into this if I saw any hint at family gameplay being a thing. But it looks like this is a strictly YA-stage kind of game. Unfortunate. That build mode is really neat though.

I hope this ends up being a thing. Between it and Paralives, the sims really needs some competition so they'll finally start stepping their game up.

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 7:49 PM
@lil bag2 It is a fact that fans of the sims do not usually like anything second life or games like that? I hate it too, without family game there is no fun.
Theorist
#12 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 7:56 PM
Yeah, it kidna sounds like that "Live the Life" game where you play a person, just with build mode added.

...assuming this even turns out to be a real game.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 8:05 PM
What's so wrong with uncanny valley anyway? People wouldn't watch movies if seeing real looking people playing unreal events was so bad.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 8:07 PM
Looks like an asset flip to be honest.The description also implies there's no actual "live mode." It's all focused on creating a characte and building their house, which is okay, but not what I'd call a simulation game.
Theorist
#15 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
What's so wrong with uncanny valley anyway? People wouldn't watch movies if seeing real looking people playing unreal events was so bad.

That's not nearly the same thing, and I suspect that you know the difference.
It's not about "real looking people doing unreal events" it's about the animations not quite matching the gestures and movements (voluntarily and in-voluntary) that real people do (all the various muscle groups that make small movements when a person smiles or moves their arm and such we never even think about) this effect of hyper-realistic people moving in an unnatural way is what tends to creep people out and what we call the uncanny valley.
It's one of the reasons why animation films tend to go for stylized designs for their characters, because then people don't tend to mind the way they move all that much.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 9:32 PM
It's just CGI ppl (which is what uncanny valley is; AI/robots that are very overly-human-realistic looking) that try to perform realistic actions gives heebie jeebies than actual real filmed ppl doing unrealistic actions. That's how brains psychology wired to feel.

Live action movies tend to use.... well, actual humans that behave and act in real time. In video games, that's not possible as you're controlling the character, which is made through AI and code lines, and aren't actual real movements.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
It's just CGI ppl (which is what uncanny valley is; AI/robots that are very overly-human-realistic looking) that try to perform realistic actions gives heebie jeebies than actual real filmed ppl doing unrealistic actions. That's how brains psychology wired to feel.

Live action movies tend to use.... well, actual humans that behave and act in real time. In video games, that's not possible as you're controlling the character, which is made through AI and code lines, and aren't actual real movements.

You can use mo-cap for animations and procedural anims to smooth them, which goes a long way. So it is very much possible.
Smeg Head
#18 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 8:26 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 23rd Jun 2021 at 8:38 PM.
Yeah, but surely all some talented modders - and some not so talented - would need do is make naughty adult animation mods for it, slap them up on Patreon, then wham! Instant bestseller game no matter how dull, crap or shallow is is in default!

And what ever happened to that Rod Humble/Paradox thing that was whispered about a good while back? Paradox stomping all over Maxis and stealing their (Once mighty but now slacking) thunder, not exactly unheard of.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 5:35 AM
Pretty sure Rod Humble is working on ... something ... at Paradox Tectonic, but after being burned badly a few times, Paradox do not announce anything before a game is far along in the development process. We can only hope it's something in the life simulator vein - not an unreasonable hope, given his game development background. Because I'd love them to "shift the fridge" a la Cities Skylines.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 6:40 PM
I am Steampowered leery, but I stuck it on the wishlist to watch it. However,I foresee 10 years of early access full price alpha we pay you to bug test..
Theorist
#21 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 1:28 AM
Wasn't Rod Humble the guy who made our Sims unlock things and collect diamonds and crap in Sims 3 and the latter Sims 2 packs?
If so, then I don't feel all that enthusiastic about a potential life sim overseen by him :-/

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#22 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 11:00 AM
I don't think I am going to be enthusiastic about any life sim as long as their authors keep wanting to make them "light hearted" "quirky" "escape from the harsh realities of life" or "optimistic", or on the other extreme something where it's all about killing or sex with any NPC that moves. I want a well-rounded whole-life simulator that gives us choice about how hard to make things for our simulated families.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#23 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by butterboy
Hi everyone. I just stumbled across a trailer for a Sim type game called Alterlife. Has anyone seen this yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1511480/AlterLife/

The studio is an indie developer that goes by the name of VGG studio. I can't find out too much about them, but this could well be worth keeping an eye on. Very different looking to Paralives in that they're going for a more realistic look. It's single player only too which is encouraging.

One review linked it to Playway games from info picked up on Steam. It might be as that's in Poland and the game plays with English, French and Polish languages.
Test Subject
#24 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 7:29 PM
From the intro, it looks like it'll be like a more civilized version of VR chat or Rust. You create one character and you can build a place to live. Probably interact with other players. But it won't be a full-on life simulator like The Sims. I could see this being a lowkey competitor for The Sims if it's actually real, since some people like doing an avatar type of thing and changing the locale/housing appearances. Not enough to scare EA into doing anything or caring.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 2:40 AM Last edited by butterboy : 26th Jun 2021 at 3:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
One review linked it to Playway games from info picked up on Steam. It might be as that's in Poland and the game plays with English, French and Polish languages.

Yeah, on their Steam page the only two supported full audio languages are English and Polish., so are VGG a Polish studio do you think? Some people have been saying they're Russian devs, but maybe not.

Here's the info I garnered from AlterLife's Facebook and Steam discussion pages:

Offline only gameplay.

Mods will be supported.

Height sliders are in.

You will be able to have children of all ages.

Gameplay will be available in a while.

Details are still a bit scant, I'm hoping the game is the real deal, but who knows? Time will tell. I used to love the detailed backdrops and objects of Sims 1 and would love AlterLife to be a updated version of that game. Maybe a cross between Sims 1 and Sims 3. That'd be my ideal life sim