Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 9:54 PM
Default About this want: Having 20 grandchildren
So this happened: Coral Oldie rolled a want to have 20 grandchildren. Nothing weird about this, except that she has never had 10 children...
I thought only if you had 10 children, then would this want appear, and only then.

Thoughts?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 9:58 PM
Nope, I think it's just a general Family Sim want, regardless of how many kids they have. For example, in my Veronaville, a resurrected Cordelia Capp rolled the want to have 20 grandchildren, and she only has three kids herself. She only has 6 grandkids so far. So yeah, I definitely think it's just a generic Family want. They go a bit crazy with baby fever, whether making more themselves or their kids making some.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2023 at 10:00 PM
I don't think so - the 20 grandchildren can easily be done for an elder even if they haven't gotten ten kids previously (for instance 5 kids with 4 kids each = 20 grandkids). It's likely just a common Family sim want.
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 1:58 AM
I've seen this want triggered a lot by family Sims who have 10 children. Pretty much as soon as the 10th kid is born this want rolls next. But it's not exclusive to Sims who have had 10 kids. I have never fulfilled this want due to most of the reasons Aspersim mentioned.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 3:16 AM
This wish comes up a lot in my medieval fantasy hood and while they tend to have a lot of kids, I think only one couple had ten. It sometimes fulfills itself with my playstyle and sometimes it doesn't. I usually lock it in and if it happens, great, if it doesn't, well also great.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 11:11 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 23rd Jan 2023 at 11:24 AM.
I hate wants like that! I find it obnoxious when parents try to control the lives of their adult children to the extent of turning themselves into baby-producing machines, in order to fulfil a ridiculous whim of the parent. Especially if the parent only had three children themselves.

Parents should learn to set their adult children free to make their own decisions, and indeed make their own mistakes. (Indeed this process should start when they're still teens.) And, when their children do make mistakes, parents should be ready to support them and help them get their lives back on track. Parenting is a lifelong responsibility; it shouldn't be an ego trip.

I'm sorry but I suppose my game is a bit on the utopian side. I like to see my Sims trying to live by the same sort of maxims as I'd like to see in Real Life. I suppose too, though I'm now an Elder in Sims terms, I've never been a parent (or a teacher for that matter) and I tend to see things from the children's / teens' / young adults' point of view. Because after all, I have been a child, then a teen, and then a young adult. And, since I never got into marriage or parenting myself, I still tend to rather see things their way. Perhaps I still think too much like an adolescent.

I often find that playing The Sims, and thinking about them, leads me into quite deep thoughts about Life and its Meaning.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 11:02 PM
I only ever fulfilled that want once, but I should note that I play in a historical setting and that Sim is quite old. Most of her children and daughters-in-laws are family Sims themselves and some and there were some twins involved though.
I honestly really wish this mod would be updated. I know I could manually fulfil the want but if I do that, it just keep appearing. 5 children and 10 grandchildren are much more realistic in my opinion.
Inventor
#9 Old 24th Jan 2023 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I find it obnoxious

The elder is still free to want it even if he can't get it, and will have to seek other wishes or be unhappy. For me the want for having just one baby or one pet is not fulfillable because the home is too small or the people have to got to work, but I accept that it is just the right choice for some aspirations that are challenging to play true to the character. Many other common wants can't be granted, such as see the ghost of person, flirt with a person in committed relationship, enter private school or buy vacation home.

I think old people wanting to manipulate the world through their children because they are unable to do it directly is realistic, even if we might not like it.

I also don't enjoy making many babies because I don't have the imagination to make each of them unique, and for everything Aspersim said.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Jan 2023 at 1:36 AM
I don't play ten kid families anymore like I use to but I still have quite a few elders with 20+ grand kids who didn't even ask for that many. It happens easily because my families tend to have between 3-6 kids each and so they naturally ended up with lots of grand kids.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~