Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Widespot: An Inhabited Base Game Neighborhood

by Peni Griffin Posted 3rd Apr 2013 at 5:44 PM - Updated 9th Feb 2016 at 7:46 PM by Peni Griffin

77 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 31 Feedback Posts, 45 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#26 Old 3rd Apr 2013 at 11:11 PM
Yay! I can't wait to play with this.
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#27 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:55 AM
Oh, the drama! Love all the story and personality details. Fertile soil for more stories and relationships to grow. Quite like how you left plenty of room for player decoration, customization, and addition too.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#28 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 1:33 AM
Congrats to see it finally here !!! Great Job !!!
Test Subject
#29 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 4:54 AM
Default Awesome!
Great town already, Penni! I've enjoyed playing it. You're very creative and hope to see more of your work!--Nightscream21
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#30 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 2:08 PM
Aaaah, fantastic! I love the cartoonish faces and crazy plotlines. Thank you, this hood looks like it will be a blast!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#31 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 2:24 PM
Downloading this now, going to give it a go when I get home.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#32 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 2:54 PM
Thankyou! I love this hood! All the drama and cheating, it's fab!! I plan to make it busy and breed all the sims to make it buzy!! Thanks for sharing
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 12:16 AM
Hi I have all the Expansion Packs so If I download your neighbourhood will it bring up the issues you mentioned?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#34 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 12:17 AM
I absolutely LOVE your style(sim making, decorating, house building)!!!

I can't wait to see what kind of stories will unfold as I play this hood
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MarioKart777
Hi I have all the Expansion Packs so If I download your neighbourhood will it bring up the issues you mentioned?

Yes, probably; but most of them don't have any real effect. Just make sure you go to the mailbox and Pay All Bills.

I don't think the Weisses can afford to pay bills till Skye gets home from work, but everyone else should be fine.

Have fun everybody!

And thanks for thanking me; and please feel free to share pictures, post in the "What did you do with the Widespot characters thread," and all that good stuff. 'Cause I'm curious to know what y'all will come up with that I couldn't have predicted.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 9:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I don't think the Weisses can afford to pay bills till Skye gets home from work, but everyone else should be fine.

(The Weisses were able to pay their bills right away for me [114§ of the 150§ they owned].)
Instructor
THANKS POST
#37 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 1:37 PM
I hope a subhood version will become available. It would be fun to add those sim families to my neighborhood, so they can become assimilated!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 2:23 PM
Now that I have an Official Final Version (I was prepared to tweak elements right up to the moment of acceptance), I'll be making a subhood version, but it's going to require a certain amount of tedious testing to make sure that the pregnancies don't get broken.

For personal use, you should be able to open Widespot in an empty environment (like in AnyGameStarter) with OFB, play it past the births (or abortions if you're going to do that), use the cheat changeNeighborhoodType suburb , and move the folder to your Neighborhood Templates, and then have it available to attach to your neighborhood. (Obviously, backup everything first.) That ought to work as long as you don't also try to use Widespot as a primary neighborhood.

For a general download, I need to not only make sure the pregnancies work (or, if they can't be made to work, figure out a way to finish the pregnancies without locking down the player to one set of options), but ideally make a subhood that can be used in a system in which Widespot is also a primary.

Other things may occur to me as I work. So don't hold your breaths. Everything takes longer than you expect it to, and testing has to come out of play time, not work time. But if you don't mind finishing the pregnancies in the empty environment and can't wait for Penny to meet the Curious Boys or Candy to vamp Don Lothario, the method outlined above should work all right.

But always back up your game before making a major change like that! This has been a public service announcement.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 12th Apr 2013 at 8:13 PM
I lost my backup of my game and had to start over. So I saw your Widespot and read the story and loved it. I uploaded it and started playing about three days ago. The different sims are so fun. Ugly and cute at the same time, I love them and the personality and story you gave them. Thanks for something different.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#40 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 4:43 AM
Hi Peni, I just wanted to say thank you for making this neighborhood and sharing it with us.
#41 Old 4th May 2013 at 2:28 PM
Job well done, Peni Griffin.

Pictures: The pictures could have been taken a little better, and some nice cover pictures would be nice. Personally, I like the premade cover pictures - the ones about each family. As a matter of fact, I think I am going to create my own cover pictures as soon as I finish the first round (rotation).

Lots: The lots look nice from the neighborhood view. I have just played the Beech family, and I had to makeover the entire house because I didn't like the spacious interiors and the decorating. The money spent on the house makeover was compensated by Daytona Beech's $30,000 job bonus.

Sims: I find the faces tolerable. They are not that bad. Some Sims certainly look prettier than others, though, with their more proportional features. The Beech family, with Daytona Beech's wonderful job bonus, went to the store and purchased some nice outfits. Then, I made over everybody's appearance in the household. I noticed that the Beech family was mostly Popularity, except the littlest one who was Grow Up.

Stories: I am impressed with the drama of the neighborhood. You really know how to incorporate so many dramatic events in the story that it has kept my interested. Currently, I have to figure out how to create a logical explanation of all these events and close the family story with a happy resolution. I like happy endings, and I view Widespot as a neighborhood that needs change and awakening, so I am going to play it to that. The only warnings would be that the stories may involve some controversial themes (e.g. racism), but then, I want to add a serious tone to this Simmish neighborhood.

That's all I have to say now. Good job, Peni.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#42 Old 10th May 2013 at 6:48 PM
best.hood.ever.

i enjoy playing this so much, the sims are unique and in a world where every sim looks like a super model, its refreshing and actually interesting to play. it reminds me of the sim days before cc and how fun it was to play before it all, thanks again!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#43 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 6:03 AM
Love the neighbourhood you've created, Peni Griffin
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#44 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:45 AM
I was just wondering......

Do you have any plans on expanding it? Maybe creating University/Downtown/Shopping district subhoods that can be downloaded and added to Widespot?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 1:47 PM
It's a theoretical possibility. I've actually built a custom downtown, on the same "let's see what happens" principle that generated Widespot, but ever since I attached it to my Widespot to playtest the buildings my Widespot has started going wonky, so even though I'm about satisfied that I've got the public buildings right, Phase II (Can I make my own downtownies? Should I make a few playable inhabitants? If I did, what would the story be? Do the residences work at all? How hard is it to convert some of these buildings into apartments?) has to hang fire till I find out whether Bigg City is borked or that's a coincidence.

So don't hold your breath. Anybody who wants to make a subhood and describe it as "suitable for use with Widespot" for whatever reason would be paying me a compliment.

ETA: It appears I never announced over here that Widespot RFD, the Subhood Version is available for download here, so - it is and the pregnancies work fine!

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#46 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 12:31 AM Last edited by Elina : 26th Aug 2013 at 1:33 AM.
First of all, thank you for creating such an interesting neighborhood and absolutely fabulous storyline! <3

Decided to play the game for a while instead all the darn building houses I have done past months and figured I shall use Widespot as the neighborhood for Asylum challenge (just a little cheaty one, I do not want playable visitors to die, so exit without saving if that happens).
You have given the characters so interesting and .. eh .. messy storyline (messy in this case is positive thing, I just couldn't find the right english word atm ) and I figured that running couple of challenges here may mix the peoples life even more and I am very interested to see what the relationships of the playables are after couple of challenges :P

But first I have to build nice cemetary to Widespot, following the style you have build the houses , as I know I will end up with lots of tombstones.

EDIT: ran my game and did not found Widespot in the list at all, started panicing... what I did wrong now, and closed the game.. just to realise it MAYBE just might help to actually put the folder to neighborhoods-folder instead of it sitting at my desktop....
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 5:50 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 9th Oct 2013 at 2:38 PM.
Messy is close enough to the right word for most purposes! Remember the neighborhoods normally load in alphabetical order, so it'll be in the very last screen. I hope the famous Widespot hospitality helps your inmates get better and lead productive lives. Feel free to let us know what happens in the What I did with the Widespot Characters thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497084
(Whoa, over 1500 downloads! Go Widespot!)
ETA: I try to reblog any Widespot stuff I find on Tumbler. Also, did a textfile of Widespot stuff as my 100 followers gift at tumbler (See http://penig.tumblr.com/post/633870...enes-txt#notes), which should not be read by anyone who is likely to let it influence the way her own backstory develops. I have seen some wonderful backstories for this neighborhood, and would like to see more. The only canon is what you find in the original download.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#48 Old 26th Nov 2013 at 10:57 PM
A great peek into your town and playing style. I appreciated the detailed information and storyline you placed in the description. First time uploading a fully made inhabitant hood. Never knew they existed before this. I've read posts of you referring to this hood so it's fun to see them for myself.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#49 Old 3rd Dec 2013 at 9:28 PM
Peni,you have made a wonderful neighborhood *_*
Thanks soo much ^.^
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#50 Old 15th Dec 2013 at 9:38 PM
downloading this again after reinstalling the sims. i just love this, you should make more! or there should be more full neighborhoods because this one is just SO much fun to play! thanks peni!
Page 2 of 4